The BeaterRenix 4.6L Saga

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
beater_renix
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: The BeaterRenix 4.6L Saga

Post by beater_renix »

So Locked is the way to go, No highway speed issues?

How about the adjuster on the bottom of the knuckle? Seems to be a Renix only thing.
-Awesome Quote...

Beater_Renix
cruiser54
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by cruiser54 »

No issues.

I don't understand your question about the adjuster.
Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips can be found here :
www.cruiser54.com
Wanna view my technical photos? WARNING: Renix heavy!!
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
beater_renix
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by beater_renix »

There is this screw in insert in the bottom of the steering knuckle that has a taper to match the lower ball joint.

It can be adjusted higher or lower within the knuckle. I have no idea why? What does that effect? (or affect who knows which one to use)
-Awesome Quote...

Beater_Renix
beater_renix
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by beater_renix »

So I attacked the passenger side last night. There aren't words to describe the amount of cussing that occurred. The brake rotor wouldn't let go of the hub. The hub wouldn't let go of the stub shaft. The Knuckle wouldn't let go of the ball joints. Torch, hammers, air hammer, pry bars, chisel punches. That straight sucked. I finally had enough and swung the sledge at it (like a baseball bat in office space) for about 10 minutes till if finally let go. Freaking ridiculous. I didn't have the will to attack the ball-joints, so I called it progress and went to bed. The Wife said that was too loud and I was close to waking up kids.

Looks like I'll need a new dust shield.

Lastly what the hell is this?

How in creation am I supposed to pull a roll pin out. I can't get the C-clip out of the disconnect shaft if that crossbar is in there. Is this exclusive to my Jeep? Did the PO hook me up? Or is it designed from the factory to be non serviceable?
-Awesome Quote...

Beater_Renix
HuggyBear
Learning to use the board
Learning to use the board
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Wranger YJ

Post by HuggyBear »

I see why your handle is 'beater' LOL!

Nothing really to add other than I know how it goes man...its always something and its NEVER easy.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

There aren't any "c" clips in the front axle shafts. Remove the axles, remove the carrier. If that is a 30 front you will have to remove the ring gear to get the pin out.
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

laughing at the marks on the hub. I had to beat the isht out of the rear rotors on a bmw last week to get them off the hubs.
beater_renix
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by beater_renix »

dwg86 wrote:There aren't any "c" clips in the front axle shafts. Remove the axles, remove the carrier. If that is a 30 front you will have to remove the ring gear to get the pin out.
I'm running the STEUWPID Central Axle Disconnect, and since I don't have enough sense to swap for a once piece, I have to deal. At the link you can see the intermediate shaft.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/52402+01.htm

I didn't take any photos of that but there is a C-clip holding the I-Shaft in place in the carrier. So I get to drive that roll pin out while under the jeep to get the center pin out, to get the C clip out, to get the I-Shaft out, to change the seal.

I'm at the point in the project where you go..."gee I should have not spent all that money on this and just swapped it for something that already worked". On the plus side I get to write about how much of a pain its going to be to get the new seals in without destroying them. Hopefully someone else reading this in the furture will see this....

http://www.quad4x4.com/product/4624/QK4 ... ALLER-KIT/

...and say yeah maybe I can get this 12 dollar seal in there for less than the cost of a junkyard axle... and say to themselves... Maybe I Should just get a junkyard axle. (The sad part is I'm still considering getting some sort of seal driver, IF I had six of of these to do I'd already have It.)
gradon wrote:laughing at the marks on the hub. I had to beat the isht out of the rear rotors on a bmw last week to get them off the hubs.
I think the sledge touched my back at one point I was swinging so hard. I did manage to hit the fender twice.
-Awesome Quote...

Beater_Renix
beiwulf
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7Turbo soonish
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: ZJ
Vehicle Model: Laredo

Post by beiwulf »

beater_renix wrote:
dwg86 wrote:I'm at the point in the project where you go..."gee I should have not spent all that money"

I feel ya there.

But that is the voice of experience now talking and it took walking down the road a ways to have it. For next time...
95 Silver ZJ 4x4 4.0L (soon to be stroked/boosted) currently DD
1999 Victory V92 (first year production) street bike/cruiser

95 ZJ Turbo Boosted Stroker build threadhttp://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=4342
beater_renix
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by beater_renix »

Well I drove the heep to work today. Despite my best efforts several things still need attention.

- The drums need a compete overhaul. The right rear is dragging and needs new shoes.
- The driveshaft just barely kisses the down pipe. Might just let that handle itself.
- I'm overheating. Probably ~230 if I had to guess. Pretty low resolution on the guage. I have relatively new cooling system with new pumps, Gage's, and 195 degree stant Tstat. An old school carb headgear told me I could be running lean. I might try to bleeding the coolant again. Still have the pressure bottle too.

The throttle response is awesome sight the widened out turtle body. But I'm too worried about all his other stuff to enjoy it. I'll post up pictures later this week school is killing me. Who needs thermodynamics anyway.. Oh yeah me.
-Awesome Quote...

Beater_Renix
beater_renix
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by beater_renix »

Kenny Rogers is telling me I should "know when to walk away, and when to run"...

Last night the intermittent overheating that i was experiencing took a turn into the red. All of the coolant blew out and stranded me on the side of the road. I only made it 40.1 miles with my new engine. To add insult to injury, I still have $150.00 dollars of brake parts in my Rock Auto shopping cart.

I think I'm done.

I've already spent twice what this vehicle is worth. I suspect a blown head gasket or a cracked head. I had thoughts of burning it to the ground and dancing around it.

I don't want to spend another $100 to get it towed. Maybe the coolant just decided it didn't want to not be contained anymore. I've got five vehicles and right now; one runs, two are dead, ones dead on the side of the road in Knoxville, and one is on borrowed time. This thing is just costing too much and isn't a priority right now. I might just have to shelf my jeep hobby. Somebody tell me what JEEP stands for again?
-Awesome Quote...

Beater_Renix
cruiser54
Donator
Donator

Post by cruiser54 »

Do you have the closed system still? If so, the coolant bottle cap can be the cause of overheat. Easy fix. Use a 703-1396 from Napa.
www.cruiser54.com
beater_renix
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by beater_renix »

Thanks for the advice Cruiser. I'm going to go look at it tonight. It's still on the side of the road where it died. Not thrilled about spending more money on this thing right now. Maybe once I calm down, and Look to see what blew up, I'll be better.
-Awesome Quote...

Beater_Renix
beater_renix
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by beater_renix »

Freeze plug pushed out. Another $75 to get it towed home. The Jeep isn't helping itself out. If it were reliable low cost transportation, that would be one thing. But since this is the third time I've towed this thing since owning it, having it around isn't very helpful. It's always been in some state of repair since I've owned it. Worst of all the wife now wants a Minivan. Looks like somebody just got their project turned into a kid hauler. (Admin you guys need to add a crying Emoticon.)

I'm probably going to fix the freeze plugs and brakes and sell the Jeep.
-Awesome Quote...

Beater_Renix
cruiser54
Donator
Donator

Post by cruiser54 »

Where are you located?
www.cruiser54.com