99'xj budget stroker

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
mcart
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

99'xj budget stroker

Post by mcart »

All right, pulled the trigger in starting a for real budget stroker for a 99' xj daily driver.
FACTS:
99' 4.0L block bored .020 over deck shaved .010
258 rods - resized with ARB rod bolts
258 long nose crank .010/.010 under
UEM 2229c .020 pistons (plan on polishing tops)
cly. head rebuilt to stock specs
mopar performance HV oil pump
stock pushrods
stock camshaft - using new lifters
stock timing set
neon injectors
hot coil
Gibson headers
62mm throttle body

QUESTIONS:
1) getting push back from machine shop about re-using the stock cam and timing set. I have inspected closely and both parts seem to be in fine shape.I see both opinions (use or not use) in this forum and would like some opinions ignoring the argument that "for a few dollars more" you could buy new parts.... it is to be a budget stroker after all and if the parts are servicable and the experience on this forum shows it should be fine why not use them?
2) in an effort to keep compression down, is it worth machining a deeper "D" in the top of the pistons ? the depression depth is .100, what would be a recommended depth? factory specs show this to be a 9.2 compression piston, by machining how much could you possibly change the compression ratio anyway?
3) is the quench height acceptable for this combination?
4) am I missing anything?

NOTES:
1) cut a crank nose spacer as noted in this forum
2) preformed a oil pump to block inspection verifying fit as noted in this forum
3) port matched the intake manifold to intake gasket
4) plan on port matching the head to intake/exshaut gasket
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1981
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ8

Re: 99'xj budget stroker

Post by akadeutsch »

Gasket matching is dangerous. Port matching while removing as little material as possible would be a better idea. Imo
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

mcart wrote:cly. head rebuilt to stock specs
Have the intake valves back cut to help mid lift flow.
mopar performance HV oil pump
Over priced. Go with a melling. The HV comes with the pickup tube. You don't want to reuse the old stock one.
stock pushrods
You are going to have to check your pushrod length since you are decking the block & having the head reworked.
stock camshaft - using new lifters
Go with Johnshon/Hylift lifters. PN 2011.
hot coil
Keep the stock one in case the MSD or Accell dies.
1) getting push back from machine shop about re-using the stock cam and timing set.
How many miles on them?
2) in an effort to keep compression down, is it worth machining a deeper "D" in the top of the pistons ? the depression depth is .100, what would be a recommended depth? factory specs show this to be a 9.2 compression piston,
The stock specs won't apply as this is not a stock 4.0L engine. Use the Sopression ratio calc to figure what to dish them to for your desired SCR & DCR.
3) port matched the intake manifold to intake gasket
Don't do that. Just clean up the casting grain and any other rough edges. Then match the intake manifold runner to the intake port. Its ok to have the runner smaller than the port. But you don't want the port smaller than the runner. You don't want the incoming air to hit an obstruction. This goes for #3 and #4.
mcart
Noob
Noob

Post by mcart »

I appreciate the voices of experience. The head is not assembled at this time so the "back cut" on intake valves is a viable option. I hear you on the oil pump... I learned the hard way on this purchase. The block was cut only .010, I did not ask how much was removed from the head, if any....I thought (assumed) that if less than .030 was removed from both head and block that stock length pushrods are acceptable.... maybe this is rule of thumb however I will check for pushrod length. The coil is an Accell never considered this to be a reliability concern... eyes open now. The timing set and cam both have 110,000 miles and came from a well maintained running motor. I compared the original timing set with a new replacement set and came away disappointed in the new chain... seemed wimpy and loose compared with the factory installed chain which was still tight. The gears showed minimal wear. I should post pictures for your review. I will search for "port matching" and forget about the gasket matching. By using the compression calulator I can find how much additonal CC's would need to be removed from pistons to provide desired compression... is there a way to convert CC's to dimension depth to know how deep to dish the piston head?
mcart
Noob
Noob

Post by mcart »

Hey Silver, while researching the "Johnson/Hylift lifters P/N 2011 ran across "Sealed Power/Johnson lifters P/N HT2011" are these the same part? also, I found a reference to Topline 1-800-441-1400 to order lifters direct, does this sound correct ?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

mcart wrote:The timing set and cam both have 110,000 miles and came from a well maintained running motor. I compared the original timing set with a new replacement set and came away disappointed in the new chain... seemed wimpy and loose compared with the factory installed chain which was still tight.
What brand was the timing set? I wouldn't' run a used timing set with that many miles, but if yours is good as you say you could run it.
is there a way to convert CC's to dimension depth to know how deep to dish the piston head?
Someone that dishes pistons should be able to give you an estimate. There may be a post on this forum regarding that. Oleshot on here dishes pistons (or use to) so he might know. Try searching his posts.
mcart wrote:Hey Silver, while researching the "Johnson/Hylift lifters P/N 2011 ran across "Sealed Power/Johnson lifters P/N HT2011" are these the same part? also, I found a reference to Topline 1-800-441-1400 to order lifters direct, does this sound correct ?
I am not sure about the Sealed Power/Johnson. I have seen some old Sealed Power boxes with Johnson on them. IIRC Sealed Power owned the Johnson name years ago. I usually just call Hylift to order directly from them.
Radioactivexj
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1998

Post by Radioactivexj »

Unless the timing set is almost brand new then I would highly recommend getting a new one, especially if its the original one. If not you'll regret having to open it back up to replace it later on if not after less than a couple miles. Ask me how I know...
mcart
Noob
Noob

Post by mcart »

Just placed an order for Johnson/Hylift lifters P/N 2011 from "Topline Auto" at 1-800-441-1400, total was under $70 bucks for 12 each. I was informed that they also sell the exact same lifter to Sealed Power under part number "HT-2011", don't know the price. I can't find a double roller timing set for a 99 and newer 4.0 liter, is there one available for the newer style cam?