98ZJ 4.6L Stroker Build

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
purple_jeep
I made it to triple digits!
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: GC

Re: 98ZJ 4.6L Stroker Build

Post by purple_jeep »

Latest Oil Report:
Oil report.jpg
Cheers

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
purple_jeep

Post by purple_jeep »

Finally I made the time to install the new intake system I acquired parts for over a year ago.

- 99+ Intake manifold
- 4.7L Dodge 68mm Throttle body
- Adapter from user Dott
- Amsoil (EAAU3590) air filter same as the one SilverXJ used
- 3.5" Stainless steel tube
- 3.5" 45deg silicon elbow
- 3.25" to 3.5" silicon elbow

What I started off with was a totally stock intake system with new sensors and greased bearings in the Throttle Body thats it.
Before.jpg
Prior to starting work I modified the 68mm throttle body pretty much exactly as shown in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsHrXYAcS4o using parts from the stock throttle body I received with the 99+ intake.

First step was to remove stock airbox, intake and exhaust header.
IMG_20160328_114927.jpg
Noticed two things at this point, 1 that something is leaking at the back of the head, i think its the valve cover but not 100% sure hence the wet mark on the back third of the block. 2 I had an exhaust leak from the cylinder 6 exhaust port to the header.
IMG_20160403_205504.jpg
On reassembly I made extra sure that the bolts in that area were torqued down correctly

Installing the new manifold was simple bolted straight up but what took a while was figuring out how to plumb all the vacuum hoses etc specifically the MAP sensor gave me some trouble. In the end I modified the adapter plate from Dott to add a port to connect the MAP sensor too and mounted the sensor on the throttle cable mount. I also had to slot the cable mount and put it up on spacers to get all the angles correct.
IMG_20160330_163548.jpg
Once I got everything in place I made a temparary intake pipe using 3.5" cardboard cores we use at work and gorilla tape for the 45deg bend so I could get measurements to cut the Stainless tube.
IMG_20160329_203907.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
purple_jeep

Post by purple_jeep »

Then it was onto the stainless steel version which I welded a small piece of 1/2" tube to the side for the line from the valve cover to connect to. Later I will pull the small section and weld on a NPT fitting so I can relocate the IAT sensor if required. Also I might replace the 45deg silicon hose with a welded stainless 45 elbow.
After.jpg
Everything seemed to work out fine so thats good, I like the new way the throttle responds and I think I feel a little more power but we will see.

Tomorrow I should receive my AFR so I can datalog for FlyinRyan to correct for the new intake. I decided to buy one this time instead of renting it.

Next is some radiant insulation under the intake and also I need to build an airbox so I have a cold air intake not a hot engine bay air intake :p.

Ohh I also took some pictures of the valves both intake and exhaust not sure if they show anything but here they are anyway :)

Intake
IMG_20160328_132918.jpg
Exhaust
IMG_20160328_132903.jpg
Cheers

Chris
purple_jeep

Post by purple_jeep »

Ok, so after installing the new intake system I have this clicking noise which occurs after shutdown while its cooling down. It seems to be coming from the intake I think, it goes Click wait maybe a min then click again. The time between clicks increases as it cools until it goes away. The click is fairly loud can be heard clearly from a distance.

Also when trying to locate the click I pulled the intake tube and looked into the throttle body/intake manifold and I have a thin film of fuel on all surfaces including the bottom of the butterfly. I noticed this on my old intake also does this mean I am running very rich or something? I guess I need to get my wideband AFR hooked up asap!

Thoughts??

Cheers

Chris
purple_jeep

Post by purple_jeep »

Anyone?
purple_jeep

Post by purple_jeep »

Well I have had Missfire cylinder 4 happen twice so I am not sure if that indicates something

I pulled the sparkplug it looks fine, also checked fuel pressure looks good holds fine over 10 mins.

Still clicking on cool down and -ve long term fuel trims.

Thoughts??

Cheers

Chris
purple_jeep

Post by purple_jeep »

Via the local Jeep Club I found a great local exhaust shop. They took some mandrel bent parts I ordered from amazon (2 x 90 and 1 x 45) and made up a 2.5" Mandrel bent downpipe with bungs for my O2 and Wideband plus a 1/8npt if I ever want to measure exhaust gas temp. First time I have not had any contact issues after getting a new downpipe (this is my third).

They even cut the stock flange off the doug thorley header (which reduces to less than 2.25" in the seal) and welded on a flat 2.5" ID 3 bolt flange with out me even telling them too!! This was something I wanted but didn't want to make it too complicated.

After getting this done I decided to measure my exhaust back pressure to make sure I didn't have a problem with my CAT. Gauge didn't move far off the 2-3psi idle pressure even when I gave it some throttle so that's fine.
IMG_20160428_191438.jpg
Once I verified exhaust back pressure I chocked the throttle body open and checked compression on all cylinders. Each one tested out at 150psi so that looks good to me.

Cheers

Chris
purple_jeep

Post by purple_jeep »

Next day I did an oil change and sent if off for analysis:
Oil Report 4.jpg
Hmmm wonder if the Amsoil filter is no good or maybe I have a intake leak at some point. I am building a smoke tester so I can check for a leak soon.

Cheers

Chris
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

Nice exhaust. Glad they fixed the thorley.. which version do you have? IIRC the latest version has a 2.5" flange.

That spike in aluminum is concerning as is the chrome. Copper is a bit high as well.

I should do an experiment with air filters and see what the silicon does. It could also be from seal material as well.
purple_jeep

Post by purple_jeep »

Ok so a few updates to report :)

First I am still thinking I am not getting the performance I should be from my 4.6L stroker so I decided to check for vacuum leaks by having it smoke checked. This involved removing the filter and putting the smoke tester in the intake this allowed the intake to be pressurised with the smoke and any leaks identified.
IMG_20160628_131434.jpg
After some careful examination with a flash light we found the following small leaks:

Throttle body shaft bearing
IMG_20160628_131308.jpg
Fitting from the manifold to the emmisions solenoid thingy
IMG_20160628_131301.jpg
Also had a leak at the intake manifold to the block due to one bolt on the underside been loose. Must have missed tightening it down properly when I did the manifold swap...

We also leak checked the exhaust by removing my wideband afr and putting the smoke in there (using the tail pipe was a problem as the Cat stopped the smoke getting to the downpipe area. Found a bunch of small leaks on the welding the exhaust shop did so they re welded them and re tested until it was good.

I am happy to have them all fixed but don't notice a difference so doubt the leaks were an issue.

Cheers

Chris
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by gradon »

Film on the butterfly is usually oil sucked in from the front valve cover line. I need to install a map line on my adapter. What did you use?
nicpaige
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: XJ
Vehicle Model: Sport

Post by nicpaige »

Have you put yours on the dyno yet?
purple_jeep

Post by purple_jeep »

Second Update:

I am also still not happy with the cooling on the jeep and I have this issue where when I turn off the jeep it will start to bubble into the coolant overflow tank which I assume is not a good thing.

Before going as far as replacing my radiator (which is a simple parts store unit) I decided to change my water pump to a flowcooler, replace the fan clutch with a crown unit, drill the bleed hole in my thermostat (Stant Superstat 180 deg) and added water wetter.
IMG_20160724_114753.jpg
I like the machined hose fitting area.
IMG_20160724_114747.jpg
Also went to the Hesco high flow thermostat housing. Stock on the left Hesco on the right.
IMG_20160724_114725.jpg
I think its a little better but I still get the bubbling in the overflow :(

Cheers

Chris
purple_jeep

Post by purple_jeep »

Third update:

This is starting to worry me :( What should I be looking at?
Oil.jpg
Cheers

Chris
purple_jeep

Post by purple_jeep »

nicpaige wrote:Have you put yours on the dyno yet?
Before I modified the intake I did yes:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=4596&start=75#p41670

Cheers

Chris