98ZJ 4.6L Stroker Build

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
purple_jeep
I made it to triple digits!
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: GC

Re: 98ZJ 4.6L Stroker Build

Post by purple_jeep »

Also sent my oil off for an analysis, will keep sending samples each change for a while to see how everything trends.
Oil Report.jpg
Cheers

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

Your oil analysis looks pretty good.
dott
Donator
Donator

Post by dott »

purple_jeep wrote:Adapter from user Dott on here
Thanks for your support, 8-)

:cheers:
purple_jeep

Post by purple_jeep »

Ok guys, have not finished my intake mod but I am having some issues that maybe you can point me in the right direction for a solution.

about a month or so back the jeep started to not want to start easily. Initially it would start immediately now I need to crank it for longer and sometimes it will kinda start only to sputter and die it starts like this every time. Also very occasionally it would die when slowing coming to a stop.

But yesterday things took a turn for the worse! I started it after work and before I could pullout it kinda bogged down a bit, then when driving it seems the be hesitant, lacking power or in some manner restricted. Also the oil pressure had increased by about 10psi at idle and at speed. Seemed to drive fine idle speed was as normal. It did die at a light once or twice. Let it sit for a while drove again just as bad with the feeling of been bogged down, kinda like going up a hill. Reves fine and responds to the accelerator.

Today drove to a hair cut getting there no problem on the way back which is maybe a 6 min drive it died atleast 4 times at lights...

I will check fuel pressure, maybe compression, might pull the valve cover to check valves. Any other thoughts? Almost due for an oil change so I can do that to check the oil.

Help!!

Cheers

Chris
beater_renix
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1989

Post by beater_renix »

I'll offer my advice and you can read my thread and see just how much good my opinion is...

You have to wonder what changed since it ran right. All of my problems revolve around something stupid I did.

Verify the obvious stuff: battery is charged, no electrical issue (high resistance grounds), and no vacuum leaks (although you said it idled fine). Then start looking at fuel pressure, and compression. The Oil pressure running 10 psi higher then before scares me. Good luck, I hope it's something easy.
-Awesome Quote...

Beater_Renix
purple_jeep

Post by purple_jeep »

Yeah I am pretty sure its an electrical issue (always a pain to solve!) I did find a slightly loose ground cable from the battery to the block and after tightning that things seem to have improved although it is still dying randomly.

The other thing which happens occasionally is that I will be driving at speed and it will hiccup and the fuel gauge will drop to empty. If I turn the car off and then on again the fuel gauge will slowly come up.

I think I will redo the main wiring and then disconnect, spray with contact cleaner, and reconnect as many connectors as I can find.

Cheers

Chris
beater_renix
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1989

Post by beater_renix »

I think you're on the right track.

Years ago I had an old Mazda that acted exactly like that. I just had absolutely no power (okay it 92hp to begin with) and if i revved it high it wouldn't come back to idle it would just die. I had it towed twice on Christmas Eve coming home from Camp Lejeune. That caused me to sell it (to my sister) but I later found out it was only a loose ground on the block.

I know you're a ZJ, but the old XJ's (not renix) if they lost a ground will go Empty on the fuel gauge.
-Awesome Quote...

Beater_Renix
purple_jeep

Post by purple_jeep »

Still tracking down the stalling issue :(

This weekend I will be installing new springs, shocks and JKS disconnects which should result in a 2.5" lift (OME springs, Bilstein 5100 shocks). Also stripped down and rebuilding the steering gear to hopefully fix some play I have.

Also sent my Oil off for another analysis after another 4,000 miles on the engine. Looks ok I think?
Oil Report 2.jpg
Cheers

Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
purple_jeep

Post by purple_jeep »

Ended up changing the Crank sensor no change to the stalling issues, had the charging system tested and that showed bad voltage regulation so I switched to the 5.9L 150A Alternator no change to the stalling issue.

Switched PCM for a rebuilt unit and that fixed all the stalling issues so far!!

Changed it on Sunday so I will give it some time before I claim a great victory. Unfortunately I screwed up the process for unlocking the handheld from one PCM so I could use it on the other PCM for my custom tune so I need to work with SCT for that (if I can ever get ahold of them).

Also did an oil change and sent it off for analysis. I am a little worried about the lead and copper.... thoughts?
Oil Report 3.jpg
Cheers

Chris
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Could be bearings... but to go down to copper I would expect to see more lead... was anything done to the valve guides?
purple_jeep

Post by purple_jeep »

I will have to check my paperwork but I believe the valve guides were replaced.
nicpaige
Consistent
Consistent
Vehicle Make: XJ
Vehicle Model: Sport

Post by nicpaige »

Sent you a PM about your SCT tuner.
purple_jeep

Post by purple_jeep »

Yup according to my paperwork I had a valve job done, new springs and new Bronze Guides installed.

Cheers

Chris
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

bronze is made up of mostly copper.
purple_jeep

Post by purple_jeep »

So you think I am seeing wear from the valve guides? Would you say this is still break in or should I be taking off the valve cover and looking for damage?

Cheers

Chris