New 4.6L stroker build

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
CobraMarty
BANNED
BANNED
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: New 4.6L stroker build

Post by CobraMarty »

Thanks, I'm going to try ATI again this week.
1998 XJ 2D AW4 32"MTR 3.55 4.5"RC JCR Slider Magnaflow 150rwHP/174rwTQ=> Sprintex SC Gibson Header 6lb 120-140*IAT 211rwHP/274rwTQ WasherFluid Inj 70mmTB 7.5lb 100-120*IAT=>Now 12 pounds Boost=> +BV ported head
99 XJ M62 S/C
Spliffotticle
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.59L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: WJ

Post by Spliffotticle »

Out of curiosity, is this header the kind with the convoluted expansion links on the outer pipes? or is it a nicer, solid-type one? I bought and never tried the prior because when I got it, I was concerned with added turbulence and noise.
SilverXJ wrote:Feels good so far. When it gets hot I can really feel the fan clutch drag it down. 3.55s and 31" tires aren't helping it. Might try using a plastic mustang fan and clutch for that.. if that doesn't work I'll try another stock efan.
Still have the lean first cold start issue and chasing the exhaust leak. I have been to two exhaust shops and they say there is no leak. Stuffing the exhaust pipe sounds doesn't show any hissing sound. But it still sounds like a leak. Maybe the header sounds like this. I don't know.

I'm installing 4.11s and a truetrac in the rear next week.
bored, check. stroked, check. turbocharged, check. functional, information unavailable
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L

Post by SilverXJ »

Its a Doug Thorley coated header (coated by Calico), no expansion links.

Oh and on the exhaust leak, there wasn't one. Its just the way it sounds. I went over it with a fine tooth comb and had another mechanic I sometimes help take a look and an exhaust shop take a look.
shawnxj
I love this board
I love this board
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by shawnxj »

so how much wear did your timing cover have from the solid pin and how many miles did you have before the swap?
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

I would think a solid pin would have less wear than a springpushing a pin against the timing cover...hmmm
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I didn't check the cam end play before I removed the cam. I didn't want to pull the oil pan at that time. I should have just drilled a hole in the timing cover and set the dial indicator up on the cam cog through that hole. Hindsight is 20/20. However, I did notice a little wear on the timing cover, but it could have just been from the two surfaces making. I could stick the cam in another block with the timing cover, but I am fairly certain that dimensions between two blocks will be different enough not to get a accurate measurement.

I put 5 gallons of 89 octane in it yesterday. While I didn't get it on it very hard I did do some moderate acceleration and noticed no pinging.
I6FAN
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.2
Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: wrangler

Post by I6FAN »

Silver, when you spoke with Mike Jones what was his opinion of the narrow vs. wide cam lobes?
CobraMarty
BANNED
BANNED
Vehicle Year: 1998

Post by CobraMarty »

89 octane and your CPD mod for timing advance and your 'tuned' ecu for timing advance and no Pinging. That's great, don't these engines ever detonate due to timing? (not counting high CR, lean AFR, overheating, etc).
1998 XJ 2D AW4 32"MTR 3.55 4.5"RC JCR Slider Magnaflow 150rwHP/174rwTQ=> Sprintex SC Gibson Header 6lb 120-140*IAT 211rwHP/274rwTQ WasherFluid Inj 70mmTB 7.5lb 100-120*IAT=>Now 12 pounds Boost=> +BV ported head
99 XJ M62 S/C
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I6FAN wrote:Silver, when you spoke with Mike Jones what was his opinion of the narrow vs. wide cam lobes?
He said that the wider cam lobe is better for preventing wear. Flat tappet cams are ground on a taper and the lifter was a slight dome to it to promote rotation of the lifter. The lifter will not ride on the whole width of the lobe, except maybe at max lift looking at the pattern. With the wider lobe that taper can be more spread out and the lifter can have a bit larger contact area and still rotate.
CobraMarty wrote:That's great, don't these engines ever detonate due to timing?
Mine pinged a bit under a medium load around 3k rpm, like driving up a hill. That was when it was stock with just a CAI and 60mm throttle body. That was with 87 octane. I wasn't going to put 89, 91 or 93 in a stock 4.0l.
MrNoBody

Post by MrNoBody »

Great persistence!!! You're really vested in that motor! You'll not have the previous problems associated with the cam bearings since installing the thrust plate. I have found the aftermarket thrust spring to be much weaker than the factory after it has been warmed a few times. Obvious change in spring wire material. Just FYI the smaller oil hole in the side of lifter is used to restrict both oil in and out and that oil pressure from pushrod seat to rocker is only bled during approximate max lift. I had the same cam walk related knock and did not diagnose it until I cut the top off the valve cover and used a small tube scope down each push-rod hole while motor was running. The knock was actually created at the rear of camshaft where it clanged into steel expansion plug and echoed throughout the inside of the bell-housing. I simply recessed the plug to apply more pressure on thrust pin spring - you might have thought the FSM would specify a depth. Great work and persistence!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

MrNoBody wrote:The knock was actually created at the rear of camshaft where it clanged into steel expansion plug and echoed throughout the inside of the bell-housing.
Even if the cam was walking it shouldn't be hitting the rear plug.
Just FYI the smaller oil hole in the side of lifter is used to restrict both oil in and out and that oil pressure from pushrod seat
Which hole? What meters/restricts oil to the top end is the small disc under the pushrod seat.
MrNoBody

Post by MrNoBody »

SilverXJ wrote:
MrNoBody wrote:The knock was actually created at the rear of camshaft where it clanged into steel expansion plug and echoed throughout the inside of the bell-housing.
Even if the cam was walking it shouldn't be hitting the rear plug.
Just FYI the smaller oil hole in the side of lifter is used to restrict both oil in and out and that oil pressure from pushrod seat
Which hole? What meters/restricts oil to the top end is the small disc under the pushrod seat.
Unfortunately, the back of the cam does make contact.

Yes, you are correct that the check disk/ball meters oil to the top end; however, the metering orifice(oil hole) located in the side of the lifter, meters the pressure in the lifter.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

MrNoBody wrote:Unfortunately, the back of the cam does make contact.
It should not. If it does there is a problem.

The hole in the side of the lifter is too large to meter anything.
college_kid

Post by college_kid »

Silver, you have the patience of Job! I just read all 41 pages, and I am happy to read that you finally got a stroker that works. As for the cam thrust plate, do you have manufacturer and PN for that item? I didnt see it in the thread. If you had that much trouble with cam walk, I definitely want to get in front of any potential problems with my build. Thanks
Matt
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Its an OEM part. Usually comes with the block. I only know its available from Mopar.