My 4.6 Project engine

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
6TIME
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: JEEP
Vehicle Model: CHEROKEE

Re: My 4.6 Project engine

Post by 6TIME »

akadeutsch wrote:Well, now I'm in a tough spot. they ground it for free so I don't want to complain and they are the best place in town to do the work. Question, Can they just polish off .001 or do they have to grind and then polish to remove .001?
Typically takin .001 off by polishing the journals down is not ideal.. the belts can create a irregular surface and also affect concentricity. Usually they cut the journals to size then lightly micropolish the surface to orient the surface grains, which doesn't take much off at all. This is the best option for longevity...
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Vehicle Year: 1981
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ8

Post by akadeutsch »

After talking with my crank grinder quite a bit we have decided that .001 main clearance IS within spec and although it is a little under the preferred spec I am going to run it. I will just keep it under 4,500 revs for the first 500-600 break in miles. Now I am just concerned with my valve train. I want to run the comp 235 cam, but I don't know what springs to use. The mopar Performance spring are not available anywhere. Any one have any ideas for springs to support lift up to .493?
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by akadeutsch »

My crank is installed with a .001 main clearance. I am happy with that and it is now time to install the pistons so that I can check piston to deck clearance. I am just waiting for the mech shop to press the pins into the pistons.
And I am now again considering my cam and valve train. After looking all week for the Mopar performance valve springs and coming up empty I am a little frustrated.
Today I talked to Zack from 505 performance again. Zack says that he has springs with a .297# per inch rate, that are good to .550 lift. He says that they fit any Jeep head and he is charging less than the Mopar springs cost. Should I order springs from 505?
beiwulf
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7Turbo soonish
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: ZJ
Vehicle Model: Laredo

Post by beiwulf »

Buyer beware, beware, beware of Zach Steele @ 505 Performance !… I think he has shown me way to much for shady business practice to never deal with him. Let alone the 2nd hand information I have gathered from our forums and other forums. If I found myself in a place where I had to buy from him I would certainly expect a let down in performance or customer service.

But I can only share from my experience. Good luck with yours.
95 Silver ZJ 4x4 4.0L (soon to be stroked/boosted) currently DD
1999 Victory V92 (first year production) street bike/cruiser

95 ZJ Turbo Boosted Stroker build threadhttp://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=4342
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by akadeutsch »

Moparts Connection has the mopar performance springs locks and retainers for just under 300.00 USD. :banana: I just ordered mine. :rockout:
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by akadeutsch »

I decided on the comp 68-235-4 Cam. Comp is telling me that it won't work with fuel injection. But I told them that the guy tuning my truck said he could make it work. Then I found some valve springs form moparts connection. Thanks Grey Ghost for the tip on where to get them. Now all thats left is a set of custom length push rods, a timing set, and some more gaskets. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
2000 4.0 block decked for zero piston to deck clearance
2000 0331 cylinder head, pocket ported, port matched, and polished, 3 angle valve job
1988 4.2 4 cw crank
1988 4.2 con rods
sealed power +.030 hyper pistons
Comp 68-235-4 cam
mopar performance Valve Springs 5642464
stock valves
Molly rings
clevite bearings
fel pro gaskets
Melling oil pump
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by akadeutsch »

My pistons finally got pressed on to my Con Rods two days ago. So yesterday I started my inspection. It turns out that the #4 rod's small end was machined too big to hold on to the wrist pin like it is supposed to. :doh: When I picked up the piston/rod assembly the pin fell out of the piston. :brickwall: So I brought it back to the Mech shop and they told me that they would have to get another con rod so I suggested that they use another one of mine. I have 3 sets in my garage because that is how many 258 engines I bought to find a Crankshaft that I would accept. I brought back the extra rod to have it conditioned/balanced and pressed together and we noticed that it has a different casting number. 5 of my rods are cast # 707 and 1 of them is cast number 312 (i think)
Is there a problem with running different casting number connecting rods?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

I don't see that casting number mentioned here: http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... ?f=34&t=53 but it could be the later 258 "unknown" one.

I don't see an issue with using a different rod as long it is the same length AND weight matched to the rest... assuming the rest of the pistons and rods have been as well.
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by akadeutsch »

That is exactly what I said to my machinist. If they weigh the same and they are the same length than whats the difference? I am going to run it. Thanks Silver
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

There could be a/probably is a difference, such as in strength, but I doubt that would effect your build.
6TIME
Consistent
Consistent
Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: JEEP
Vehicle Model: CHEROKEE

Post by 6TIME »

akadeutsch wrote:My pistons finally got pressed on to my Con Rods two days ago. So yesterday I started my inspection. It turns out that the #4 rod's small end was machined too big to hold on to the wrist pin like it is supposed to. :doh: When I picked up the piston/rod assembly the pin fell out of the piston. :brickwall: So I brought it back to the Mech shop and they told me that they would have to get another con rod so I suggested that they use another one of mine.
Good catch but... Your machine shop should have caught this right away and scrapped the rod.... Especially before it left the doors of that place. Any competent machinist would have noticed that the pin didn't fit the rod correctly. I don't know if maybe there was a rookie working that day or not? But, you should be checking all of their work very closely.
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by akadeutsch »

Good idea 6TIME. Can't be too careful. They did a wonderful job with my head though.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

6TIME wrote:Good catch but... Your machine shop should have caught this right away and scrapped the rod.... Especially before it left the doors of that place. Any competent machinist would have noticed that the pin didn't fit the rod correctly. I don't know if maybe there was a rookie working that day or not? But, you should be checking all of their work very closely.
I was thinking this, but didn't say anything.
cruiser54
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by cruiser54 »

akadeutsch wrote:I decided on the comp 68-235-4 Cam. Comp is telling me that it won't work with fuel injection. But I told them that the guy tuning my truck said he could make it work. Then I found some valve springs form moparts connection. Thanks Grey Ghost for the tip on where to get them. Now all thats left is a set of custom length push rods, a timing set, and some more gaskets. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
2000 4.0 block decked for zero piston to deck clearance
2000 0331 cylinder head, pocket ported, port matched, and polished, 3 angle valve job
1988 4.2 4 cw crank
1988 4.2 con rods
sealed power +.030 hyper pistons
Comp 68-235-4 cam
mopar performance Valve Springs 5642464
stock valves
Molly rings
clevite bearings
fel pro gaskets
Melling oil pump

IIRC, that cam is the one that Golen Engines uses on their 4.6 strokers.
Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips can be found here :
www.cruiser54.com
Wanna view my technical photos? WARNING: Renix heavy!!
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by akadeutsch »

I have to make a couple of corrections to my math. First, my DCR will only end up around 8:1 with the comp 235 cam. Second, last night I CC my piston dish volume. I was surprised to find a pretty wide variation. The swing was from 12.8 to 13.8CCs. Average was 13.5CCs, a full 2 CCs less than the advertised volume. This slightly raised my CR. Static now = 9.5:1, Dynamic=8.1:1... at 5,500 feet. I think I'll be fine running pump gas in Denver.