My 4.6 Project engine

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1981
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ8

Re: My 4.6 Project engine

Post by akadeutsch »

Well. .. no video. I'm starting off with 91 octane fuel. At first I turned the key and got nothing... my heart sank. I had a look and I had left a huge ground loose. When I touched the ground to the block it sparked so I knew I was on the right track. After disconnecting the battery I connected the ground and turned the key. She was cranking for the first time in 6 months. I was nervous. Was it going to start? It took maybe 20 seconds of cranking. Then a sputter. Then all of a sudden WHAMMY! She took her first breath and it was glorious! :banana: I thought it might run rough for a bit at first, but nope. Smooth as a babies ass straight to 2500 revs. Kept it there for the first 20 min and then took it for a power run. Wow. I can feel quite a difference. And I still have my stock tune. I can not wait to get this beast dialed in. The computer is handling this comp 68-235-4 grind like it was made for it. I wish I could post a video. :cheers:

It runs! It actually runs! And it runs well I think.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

Well, were waiting......
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

akadeutsch wrote: It took maybe 20 seconds of cranking. Then a sputter.
you didn't bleed the fuel rail.
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by akadeutsch »

:D You are on the right track Silver. :worship: I did bleed the rail but I did not bleed all of the lines. And I did drain and flush the tank. So I guess it took about 20 seconds to start sucking good fuel up to the rail. After that it ran good and is running good. I thought I would have more trouble with the cam (Comp 235 grind) because it is so big compared to stock, but it runs great. I am sure it will run a lot better once Ryan is done with it. But I can feel the power already.
Final recipe :ugeek:
2000 WJ block, decked -.025, Bored +.030, Aline Honed, Maged and Jet washed. ~700.00
2000 0331 cylinder head, Milled .006, CCed to 53.5ccs, pocket ported, intake is port matched, and exhaust is polished, 3 angle valve job ~350.00
1988 4.2 4 cw crank ~75.00
1988 4.2 con rods came with the crank
Sealed power 802CP+.030 hyper pistons ~101.00
Comp 68-235-4 cam/Lifters/Timing set ~226.00
mopar performance Valve Springs/Keepers 5642464 These were very hard to find!!!~300.00
Stock valve Locks
9.547", 5/16 diameter, 210°double ball end, .080 thick pushrods ~20.00
stock valves ~Free
Molly rings ~90.00
clevite bearings ~75.00
fel pro gaskets ~120.00
Melling oil pump ~79.00
oil and ZDP aditive ~45.00
With all of the extra stuff...all the trips to the hardware store...and all the trips to the pull and save, I figure I spent just under 3,000. :rockout:
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by akadeutsch »

Man, my gas mileage is shit. Im getting like 13 miles to the gallon right now.
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by akadeutsch »

I quit driving like an ass hole and gas mileage improved significantly. I'll be adding my e bay header, larger TB and injectors this weekend.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by akadeutsch »

I have had my Ebay header on for almost 1000 miles and I love it. 90.00 bucks= :D
:cheers:
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by akadeutsch »

1,500 Mile update. All is really well. My gas mileage is improving with every tank. I am getting around 14 MPG now and I seem to go farther on every tank. I am still running the stock tune. My serp belt was making noise so I changed that out, but everything else is just great. I can not believe how good it runs. Before I do my tune I think I will get an AFR gauge so I can get a good idea of where Im at. Thanks for all of the advise! This thing is RAD!!
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by akadeutsch »

4,000 miles with no regrets. I Love this thing. I am still using break in oil and will for the first 6,000 or so miles. I have been using Joe Gibbs 5w30. After the first two oil changes I will switch to a full synthetic. I am still saving up for a tune by Ryan.
jeepman
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: MJ

Post by jeepman »

Nice...

I have had my 4.7L Stroker in now for about 1500KM and Love it...

I don't know how anyone with stock height and tires can keep traction because damn it's hard not spinning my 35" tires all the time I can't imagine what it would be like if my Truck was on 28" OE tires, and I am only using 1/2 throttle as my cable needs adjusting because the TB butterfly only opens that far when I have my foot to the floor and if I really push it I can get maybe 3/4 open but I figure I will ride it out like this till spring then adjust it to open full throttle its going to get real crazy when I add the Supercharger in the Summer...

My Fuel economy has Gone south real bad where as I am lucky to Avg 12MPG right now but I do know that I am going to need a Custom torque converter which will help my setup a lot...

When I have time and a spare ECU I will see about getting it tuned and see if it helps any, so if you do get it done please post up your results I would love to hear how it helps...
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by akadeutsch »

20,000 mile update. 10w30 royal purple synthetic every 4,000 miles. It is running as good as ever with lots of power. Gas mileage is between 15 and 18 mpg. I just put 1500 highway miles on it and it was about 18 mpg average for the trip. I took off the torque tube header because I felt that it kept too much heat directly under the intake. :smack:
I put on more of a banks style with a 2.5" collector and no downtube. I pieced/welded the whole thing together keeping it 2.5" all the way back to a flowmaster 40 series with no cats, and then out of duel side dump chrome tips. They come out under the rear passenger door It sounds really good, I'm sure that some would says its too loud, but they don’t drive it, so eff em. Plus, it really woke up when I upped the exhaust size to match the bigger TB. And I don’t think the new cooler header hurt either. I did have to put a tank of E85 in it somewhere in Nebraska crossing I80 because that was all I could find; and it did not like that at all. It started to heat up and the top end started to clatter so I pulled off and got some octane booster. That tank was a little rough, but as soon as I put 91 in it again it was just like new. I think I am at around 9.5 to 1 compression with the calculator. The worst thing lately was keeping the front end stable. But, new control arms, new drag link and tie rod ends, ball joints, shocks, stabilizer, steering gear box, brakes, wheels, and tires fixed that. It is riding like a new jeep. I guess now Ill concentrate on the shifter karts. Summer here I come.