95 ZJ Turbo Boosted Stroker

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
beiwulf
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7Turbo soonish
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: ZJ
Vehicle Model: Laredo

Re: 95 ZJ Turbo Boosted Stroker

Post by beiwulf »

As for the tuning I'm still researching how I want to do it. I am using an OBD 1 setup. From what I have read it's pretty easy to piggy back. I'm considering either FAST XFI or a MS system. Something that can allow for multi-system sync. This being my first build I thinking i will probably end up adding multi sensors that my stock system did not come with. Already planning on dual wide band o2's, egt temp, meth/water injection and that will probably look at the boost to see when and how much. Still exploring and up for input on people's experience. I know there are a couple turbo jeepers here and have read up on some of there stuff. Turbo from Sweden has got to have the most advanced out of the threads of i have but doesn't go into to much tech on it.
95 Silver ZJ 4x4 4.0L (soon to be stroked/boosted) currently DD
1999 Victory V92 (first year production) street bike/cruiser

95 ZJ Turbo Boosted Stroker build threadhttp://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=4342
beiwulf
Donator
Donator

Post by beiwulf »

found this link in TDI forum regarding turbo data base and thought it worth sharing here.

http://www.turbotechnics.com/docs/catalogue.pdf

95 ZJ Turbo Boosted Stroker build threadhttp://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=4342
beiwulf
Donator
Donator

Post by beiwulf »

Not stroker tech but regarding my build… a little off topic but it's my thread.

So a couple weekends ago my head liner feel down and decided to replace it. I did the work myself and ended up adding some sound dampening to the project as well. Material for head liner was <$50 spent about $24 on 2 cans of 3m 90 adhesive spray and had the tools for the job already. Used screw drivers, cordless drill, & razor.

my door before
factory butyl and plastic wrap of some kind with sticky edging

my door after
inside the panel did a layer of damplifier pro b stock and then some luxury liner pro

top layer more damplifier pro

stock door panel cover come with a fiber dampener material

replaced with luxury liner pro

After shot (amended 29SEP2014)

Came out pretty good for a first go around doing it. Noticeable difference in speaker/sound quality - first crisper and hits a little better for my mids consider (don't have a sub).
I do notice a temperature difference as well during the day. It's been in the 90s here still lately and cooler inside the vehicle. I did 1 layer of the damplifier pro on the ceiling before putting the head liner back up. Road noise has cut down a little too. I will do the floors and fire wall at a later date.

EDIT appropriate recognition of product was not mentioned prior so here it is…

Luxury Liner used on doors and panels ontop of the Damplifier Pro inside doors

Used on overhead under liner, door panels and soon to be floorboards and firewall possibly - that or I will use Second Skin Spectrum/Slug.

Great customer service at Second Skin - size of the order I got a Free T-shirt, Thanks!

Happy with product and how it went it. Some hard to reach places but the quality of product is noticeable. And once product installed noticed the difference.
Last edited by beiwulf on April 7th, 2015, 8:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

Defcon92
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.2l
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep

Post by Defcon92 »

Dang I actuallu did all this as well. I did take pictures but I'm way too lazy to post em up right now lol.

I took out everything & redid it all! Patched up a few drill holes someone did. Sanded & wire wheeled everything. 6 coats of plastikote bedliner for deadening & insulation. & rust prevention. Over that I layed 1 layer of dynamat over lapping about 4" each time. Roll was 12" wide I believe. I did 2 layers on the trans tunnel in 2 directions (side-side, then front to back).
To go further I got refletix I believe at home depot. Its almost sun shade material for insulating and reflecting heat. I layed one layer of it over the trans tunnel & 1 square section I cut out in each floor board. It is held on by Dapp Weldwood (glue) & aluminum heat resistant tape at the edges to prevent peeling.The entire cargo area floor also got 1 layer. I covered/cloosed all extra unnecessary bolt, screw or just random holes in any pillars or doors ect.
The doors & quarter panels all got 1 layer of Dynamatt & 1 layer of reflectix as well. The sounnd of them shutting is very solid & firm sounding. Not so hollow. Music also sounded much better. I sealed off any extra holes in the lastic liner with aluminum tape as well. Although what you used seems much nicer :cheers:
The roof also got 1 good layer of refletix to help insulate & sound deaden.
I upgraded to all new door seals as well. Same type as the newer 97+ xjs. Did that since the seals are wider & thicker covering more door. Allowing less chance of a leak. It was alot to tackle on top of a headliner, new carpet ect. But I feel much nicer inside. Much quiter, no more cold drafts blowing in by the doors & much less wind noise. Probably added 50+ lbs but I'm fine with it.

Now Im adding 6x9s to the rear hatch for some more sounds instead of the 5.25s I had back there & Ive been curious how to sound deaden that area? I was thinking I could use expandable foam since the whole hatch itself is hollow? I do intend to use a pice of 1" thick plywood where the 6x9s bolt in to help hold them and keep it all from rattling but still I feel more should be done.
beiwulf
Donator
Donator

Post by beiwulf »

I did do sound proofing on the back lift gate and recently had changed the shocks on it too. To mount speakers of any size bigger then probably 4" round on the lift gate would require I cut metal. There was a spot symmetrical on both sides of the lift gate that might accommodate for mounting but would need additional sealing around the mount do to the fact it is square. I was and still am considering options for mounting something more for subs in the back. I know JL audio has speaker box setup for newer jeep GC's in the back storage compartment. However they do not have an off the shelf item for ZJ's. 1 10" is what I am thinking would suffice. I have the room where the original amp is mounted to add.

I do want to go through and when I do the floor boards do what you did and cover up most of those little holes and better insulate undercarriage from muffler/exhaust. You took pics? Post them up on your thread and toss a link here.

Oh and I went with a microfiber suede material easy to clean for the head liner. (a few dollars more per yard but not much considering) from normal $8 to $13 per yard.
Brian

beiwulf
Donator
Donator

Post by beiwulf »

So i'm hoping my cylinder head will be done in the next month. Over the holiday season looking to swap cylinder head and possibly do a OBDII conversion. I have the ecm & wiring harness from a 99 WJ/GC. Parts I am thinking I still want/need to acquire would be a cps (cam), coil packs & new wires(maybe??). Not sure just how involved this process will be and still researching it. Would welcome any tech input on this please. I also have a new timing chain and gear and was considering a new harmonic balancer for the 4.0L still in. Mean while i still have ATI working (very slowly) on my other HB for the stroker block outside of my jeep atm.

Just got my alternator shell from POWERMASTER Performance. Brady there is a patient and helpful guy in making the arrangements. I'm going to powder coat the shell and ship it back to them for assembly then they ship it out complete. Didn't charge me but for 1 shipping a less then $20 i think for it. Then i'll have over 100amps at idle and tops off at 170amps driving. All fitting into the factory setup and no big changes. Although probably going with 5-90/Jon Kelly (http://www.kelleyswip.com) and his wiring setup for an upgrade on power system.

Was considering doing a cam swap for the 68-232 4x4 Xtreme comp cam I have already, and putting it in the 4.0L block. Not sure how well this will work once I setup the turbo on the current 4.0L block. My intention has shifted to upgrading the needed parts on this block with turbo setup and running till it quits or breaks then dropping in the stroker. I have acquired a few different parts already since I started this over a year ago (yeah long and drawn out like some others here). But like most people limited by resources and moving at a pace that works best for priorities.

Appreciate tech input on the subject for those more experience with this conversion - thank you in advance.

/r
Brian

beiwulf
Donator
Donator

Post by beiwulf »

I did a fresh acid dip. First time with muriatic acid that was just a little to vicious. I neutralized and re-dipped with phosphoric acid. Still had some issues with neutralizing but was a little better. Think I will plug it all up and just do water jackets. Any tips please let me know.

Hardblok poured/injected and leveled. I used a grout bag, half fill bag w/ approx. 38oz water, electric drill with mixer, and a thin wire brush (not weld rod) & water to work it in.

I did use plastic ramekin's used to keep pocket for freeze plugs, and used a gelato lid for the water pump opening to reserve the space.

Mineral spirits on the block. Going to give it a give cleaning before I do the glyptal in the next couple weeks.

On another note the Jeep is down, haven't taken a look yet. However I believe I have a hole in the freeze plugs. Might just keep it down for the count and just start my projects on it for the season.

beiwulf
Donator
Donator

Post by beiwulf »

Engine Block Prep & Application of Glyptal 1201

Pneumatic line used with die grinder and angle (90 degree) die grinder w/ wire wheel brushes & Dremel also used with wire brushes.

Denatured Alcohol used with coffee filters to clean right before Glyptal 1201 application.

Great resource video on youtube from Jafromobile.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77CKFnRHA3c[/url]

After first application. Recommended drying over night before another applying another coat.

it's just

How much prep work with grinding, wire wheel, blowing out, denatured alcohol, then applying in a timely fashion.

Warning do this in an open area or moving air. These fumes are strong.
Last edited by beiwulf on January 19th, 2015, 2:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

beiwulf
Donator
Donator

Post by beiwulf »

After I get done with this It will go to machinist for;
Decking the block, Align-hone the main bore, cam-tunnel, piston cylinders, and lifter bores.

ciao for now,
B

SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

That is one clean block. I would open up the oil filter periodically to make sure that glyptal is staying where it should.

Also.. monkey nuts?
jeepxj3
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: xj

Post by jeepxj3 »

Paint the inside and leave the outside raw. That's a new one. :huh:
Frankenstien
I think I'll order a "tab"
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1972
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: Cj5

Post by Frankenstien »

Yeah ugggggggggh, Glyptal is supposed to be baked............it's how it cures.
Frankenstein
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

jeepxj3 wrote:Paint the inside and leave the outside raw. That's a new one. :huh:
Its not just paint. It seals the pours in the casting and allows for oil shedding. Its not your usual paint. I'm sure he isn't finished yet as he mentioned taking it to the machinist. I'm sure he will paint the exterior after it is assembled.
Frankenstien wrote:Yeah ugggggggggh, Glyptal is supposed to be baked............it's how it cures.
It can be done either way. Most just air dry it.
beiwulf
Donator
Donator

Post by beiwulf »

monkey-nuts...

not so much the monkey per- as much as what it's doing... :hrhr:

Baking 250-300 degrees for 2 hours to cure iirc.

And yes it will get painted on the outside once it's setup. Going to run that external filter setup using some of those parts you mentioned Chris. The oil heater tap into coolant lines. I currently have an external transmission filter and just purchased a new CSF copper 2 core metal tank radiator. My thought was to use the radiator for the oil setup since I won't be using it for the trans fluid. Not sure if that would hurt the radiator temps from cooling better or the oil temps running cooler- helping to better moderate both?.. any thoughts anyone?

/r
B

SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

If you are using the oil too coolant cooler/heater there is no reason to run it through the radiator as well. Plus I wouldn't trust the circuit in the radiator to the higher oil pressure.