Mid-Buck/Modified 4.6 carb build

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
HuggyBear
Learning to use the board
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wranger YJ

Re: Mid-Buck/Modified 4.6 carb build

Post by HuggyBear »

Picked up my stuff from the machine shop Friday...the replacement head he swears was ordered is still 'in the mail'. Whatever, I'm tired of his stalling and am now in search of another head.

I'm basically done collecting parts, with the exception of the head obviously...cant think of much else to buy until I get into the actual project, lol. I'm also going to rewire the whole thing with a harness from Painless my GF bought me for Christmas. Since I will be using a carb, it should be fairly straight forward to do.

Transmission is done, I have the conversion stuff from Advance Adapters for the BA10 to AX15 swap, and I just got all the parts to rebuild the TC when I get to that point (wide chain kit, 21 spline input gear, 6 pinion planetary gear, rebuild kit, etc).

I'm getting antsy to do something!!
HuggyBear

Post by HuggyBear »

Need to talk to the new machine shop, but I'm leaning towards getting an ACH head (ProMaxx). It's more expensive, but I dont want any more delays or worrying about a cracked casting.
HuggyBear

Post by HuggyBear »

Just an update:

With all the delays I've had, I bit the bullet and went ahead with the new ACH head...I was impressed with casting, very beefy. It required more work porting the head though since the valve guides are quite large and needed to be contoured and have the sharp machined edges radiused. I did most of the port work myself again (no pictures, looks very similar to the other one), and had the new machine shop finish the bowls and install the valves/springs. Head is now installed and valve train mocked up. I'm using Sealed Power push rods (PN 3171) that are 9.597" and that should compensate for the milling of the block, thinner head gasket, and slightly milled head. I haven't put the micrometer and feeler gauges to it yet, but everything feels about right.

I did have an issue with the cam bearings being very tight, couldn't rotate the cam by hand. I took it back to the original machine shop to have corrected and everything appears to be good now. I'm a little concerned that I dinged the cam bearings up a bit installing and removing the cam multiple times, but the machinist ran a fine emery cloth in the bores and said it was fine. I'm not totally thrilled with that method, especially with all the cam bearing failures I've read about here, but I want to get this thing moving so I'm going with it.

Currently doing some detail work, blasting/cleaning and painting all the little brackets and covers. Oh, and the original A/C idler pulley bearing was shot, but was able to get a replacement shaft/bearing assembly from Fastenal ($40), and with my HF shop press, its good as new again.

Hoping to have the long block complete this coming weekend and start working on pulling the 258 out of the Jeep. Will get some pictures for next time.
ccpanel
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 275
Vehicle Year: 1950
Vehicle Make: chevy
Vehicle Model: truck

Post by ccpanel »

see my project post using carb.

http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=1364

you are doing diff intake/carb. I did similar porting... but i think i screwed myself on cam timing/choice.

just FYI-I will find out more tomorrow after dyno run.
HuggyBear

Post by HuggyBear »

Got some work done on the engine this weekend in between multiple trips to the parts house and dealing with some minor mix ups.

All done with paint, so it was on to buttoning this pig up. Got the timing cover (and cam spring/pin deal), oil pan, water pump, thermostat, valve cover, and harmonic balancer installed. Used the old distributor, with cam gear removed, to spin up the oil pump and make sure I was getting oil to the rockers...check. Massive oil leak from the oil filter adapter...check. New o-rings and reinstall the filter adapter and verify no leaks...check.

Tentatively planning to start pulling the engine out of the YJ next weekend. Still need to rebuild the transfer case once I get that split from everything else...and install the extra bolt on stuff to the engine.

HuggyBear

Post by HuggyBear »

Getting ready to pull the engine on the Jeep. Already got the transfer case out and torn apart...would have had it back together already but the rebuild kit I got is missing 2 needle bearings, so I'm waiting on parts.

In the mean time, test fitting all the brackets and manifold so I can fix any fitment issues. Had to dimple the header in a couple of places to fit the Clifford intake. Speaking of Clifford, the bosses on the intake are not lining up with the aluminum brackets I got from the donor engine. I pulled the ones off the 258 and they aren't lining up either. BUT, since the original brackets are steel (and my buddy has a welder) we can modify them to fit.

HuggyBear

Post by HuggyBear »

Getting the final details done on the engine. Finally got the power steering sorted out, and finished the transfer case rebuild.

Pulled the engine yesterday and cleaned up the engine bay. Slight delay on the install...the carb caught some of the brake lines and bent the hell out of them, so I need to get replacements. Hoping to get the final bits done this week in preparation for the install next weekend.

Tranny is ready to go as well.

HuggyBear

Post by HuggyBear »

Engine has been installed. Got the tranny and the T/C installed today along with the accessories. Started working on he brake line but realized I need the extended rubber lines.

HuggyBear

Post by HuggyBear »

I haven't made much progress on my project in the last couple of weeks. With the kids starting back to school, my weekends have been busy and my wallet empty, lol.

I did install all new brake lines, and got the clutch slave hooked up and bled. Mostly just doing little stuff that wouldnt take a bunch of time. I have decided that I need to rewire the whole thing from scratch before running the engine. I was going to try to patch the existing harness to the new engine just for start up and break-in, but the previous owner had made a rats nest of it already and I can't trace all of his splices and hack-jobs while trying to add additional circuits and wiring....so the Painless harness is going in ahead of schedule! While I'm at it, I'm going to install a pair of Cooper Bussmann RTMR relay/fuse panels. One for the lights (head lights, fogs, and driving lights) and one for a couple of the engine components...i.e. the electric fuel pump will be run through a relay and have an oil pressure 'safety switch'.

Stock image of Bussmann:
HuggyBear

Post by HuggyBear »

Worked on getting the plumbing done this last weekend. Got the heater hoses all figured out now that the new heater core and blower motor have been installed, hooked up the fuel line to the carb, and finally got the power steering hooked up (pressure line is from a '94 Wrangler).

Things are going slow at this stage of the install. Lots of little tidbits to figure out and things to modify or fabricate.

Still trying to figure out the throttle cable bracketry and where to put the Holley electric fuel pump. Right now, the spot just above the drivers side spring mount is looking to be a likely spot.

HuggyBear

Post by HuggyBear »

Been a busy boy the last couple of months since posting last. I got the wiring basically done (still need to finalize everything and bundle it up all nice and neat). Should get the radiator back from the shop today and, hopefully, starting for the first time in the next day or two (depending on weather).

Pic time:

beater_renix
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by beater_renix »

Looking good. Impressive build and wiring job. I forgot just how much room there is under the wrangler hood.
-Awesome Quote...

Beater_Renix
HuggyBear

Post by HuggyBear »

Thanks beater, its taken me a long time to get the wiring done and I added a bunch of new circuits to the mix.
HuggyBear

Post by HuggyBear »

Got it started yesterday! WOOT!! Ran great during the cam break-in, but I didn't have time to get the timing set exactly where it needs to be. I'm running about 12 degrees advanced right now, but not sure that's ideal.

Should have a video later today or tomorrow.

Did have a small electrical issue related to the alternator/regulator that I'm currently chasing down.
HuggyBear

Post by HuggyBear »

Couple of short vids

Start up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqSqdX_zD6g

Idle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn__r4O6oE4

Ummm...Youtube imbedding isn't working for me...