Mid-Buck/Modified 4.6 carb build

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
beiwulf
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7Turbo soonish
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: ZJ
Vehicle Model: Laredo

Re: Mid-Buck/Modified 4.6 carb build

Post by beiwulf »

I am not jealous of the rats nest. Although your wiring is looking neater and newer than most. I have to delve into mine soon enough to convert my system. They had some cool colored wiring wraps at S.E.M.A. - but it was something you run it through then terminate iirc. Chipping away at the build- (I get it & can relate)

ciao,
B
95 Silver ZJ 4x4 4.0L (soon to be stroked/boosted) currently DD
1999 Victory V92 (first year production) street bike/cruiser

95 ZJ Turbo Boosted Stroker build threadhttp://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=4342
HuggyBear
Learning to use the board
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wranger YJ

Post by HuggyBear »

Replaced the alternator today, old one was bad and bearings were shot. I beefed up the ground to the alt body while I was there. I also ordered a huge 90 amp circuit breaker for the alt-to-battery circuit for added insurance. I'm still not sure the external voltage regulator setup I have is working correctly, but I can't test it unless its running.

BTW, the throttle cable I used was from a 79 CJ with a 304, was exactly what the Dr ordered...works great and the right length for my carb set up.

Its raining cats and dogs and little orphan babies here this afternoon, so I had to call it quits for now. The circuit breaker should be here Monday or Tuesday. Once that's in, I can start cleaning up the 'rats nest' of wiring I have...and maybe drive it around the house to test the tranny and T/C.
HuggyBear

Post by HuggyBear »

When I got a used AX15, to swap out my broken BA10, it didnt come with a shifter....so I got a Hurst shifter. Not because I necessarily wanted shorter throws, but I did like the look of it and had a Hurst shifter in my GTO and liked it.

Unfortunately, the lever that it came with it was leaned way over (and the AX15 shifter mount sits further back than the BA10 already) and it was hitting my Tuffy center console. I went on a internet quest to find a better fitting shifter and ended up getting one from Lokar (pn MSL6B2).

The Lokar shifter was made to use m8 socket cap bolts, and the Hurst is threaded for 3/8-24 bolts. So, I had to drill out the shifter lever for the bigger bolt, and get some longer bolts and nuts to back them up.

I'm very pleased with the way it turned out and like how much taller the shifter is compared to the original Hurst one. I also added a 3" extension to compensate for the 2" body lift I've got.

Pics:

Before

After

HuggyBear

Post by HuggyBear »

Got the t/c linkage fixed yesterday and am able to shift into all the gears (was having trouble getting into 4lo). I drove it around my property a little and everything appears to be functioning properly.

So, if you're keep score at home, everything has passed the basic function checks after being rebuilt:

Electrical - I seem to have fixed, or eliminated, the initial gremlins. I still need to clean and tidy up the wiring, but I'm very pleased with the way it turned out. I have noticed over the weekend that my temp gauge is pegging out, even when cold, so something is up with the sensor or the gauge. It was working fine, but now not so much.

Engine - running strong and starting up quickly (even after sitting for 2 weeks). The engine was, by FAR, the most expensive thing I've done to the Jeep and I was sweating bullets before I got it started! I took it for another short trip around the neighborhood, its still only has the header so it loud and annoying, and it performed well. I will probably be getting the exhaust installed after the first of the month. Once I quiet things down, I will be better able to hear the engine and tell if I have any ticks or rattles that need to be addressed.

Transmission/clutch - after bleeding the slave for about an hour and getting all of the little pin-prick bubbles out of the line, its shifting better and moves the vehicle the way it should. I had never rebuilt a transmission before, and my son and I did it all following an EXCELLENT thread on the Jeep forum.

Transfer case - shifter is shifting and all gears are working. This was the last big question mark in everything I've done. I rebuilt the t/case and installed a wide chain kit, conversion input gear, and a 6 pinion planetary set and I had some doubts that it was all going to work.

Now I just need to get the exhaust installed, get the Jeep inspected, and start taking it out on the road to do my first highway driving.

This has been a LONG drawn out, and expensive, project but it looks like things are finally getting close to complete. I'm not sure how long it will be before I feel 100% comfortable driving it and not having some little nagging worry in the back of my mind about something breaking...but I cant wait to start driving it again and moving on to other projects (paint, tires, re-gear, roll-cage, etc).
HuggyBear

Post by HuggyBear »

Things have been going well on my project. Been taking it on short local trips (20 to 30 miles or so) and no major issues...starts quickly, runs well, has plenty of down low power, and no over heating or funny noises. It does idle a bit high, but part of that is the throttle linkage being a little tight and I still need to check the spark plugs to see if my jetting is correct (Holley 470 Truck Avenger with no modifications...yet). The exhaust is done and she passed inspection. Got a down pipe, with cat, for a TJ and then had the rest welded up by a small local shop. Also got new tires (33x12.50/15 Goodyear Duratracs). I like the look a lot. I have pretty tall gears in the diffs, so 5th is even less useful than it was with the 31s...re-gear is in my near future, LOL.

I've had some very minor issues that have been resolved. The fittings on the fuel pump were leaking under pressure, new fittings and some gasoline rated teflon tape fixed that. Slave cylinder was loosing fluid somewhere when it got hot...sitting it was fine, but after getting hot it was slowing loosing fluid. Replaced the little m/c for the slave, and that has fixed the issue. Need to finish cleaning up the wiring, got the engine bay cleaned up but still need to take the dash apart to get loom on those wires...been procrastinating on doing that, LOL.

The engine is a definite improvement over the tired 258 that I previously had. I haven't had time to check the fuel economy, and still need to check the carb for jetting, but I fully expect it to be in the low teens. I do like the unique factor of having a stroker 6 in the Jeep and am very proud of the end result. BUT to be perfectly honest, if I had to do it again, I would probably go V-8. This project did have several unexpected expenses (cylinder head set me back a good bit) but I think I could have done a 350 or 302 for about the same cost, if not less, and had more power. At this point, I have no desire to change engines or pour more money into another project, and will proudly drive it till the wheels fall off, but I cant help but think I could have had a V-8 for about the same cost and effort.

Ohio Scrambler
Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Model: CJ-8

Post by Ohio Scrambler »

Im looking at using the same intake and carb as you, how do you still feel about that setup?

Jared
HuggyBear

Post by HuggyBear »

Ohio Scrambler wrote:Im looking at using the same intake and carb as you, how do you still feel about that setup?

Jared
The set up is working well for me and I have no complaints about the intake/carb (once I figured out all the little kinks to the install that is). There are a few things to be aware of though.

1. I had a hell of a time getting the p/s pump bracket mounted with the Clifford intake. After fighting with the 258 brackets, I ended up using the 4.0 stuff and drilling out the boss on the p/s bracket so I could get a bolt to line up.
2. header clearance. I'm running one of those basic (ie cheap) ebay headers and it hit the manifold, in particular on #6. I heated up the tube and dimpled it, but its still pretty darn close
3. hooking up the water lines to the manifold was not difficult, but it was sort of a pain to get the parts. Not many places carry brass fittings anymore so I had to order most of it online. After trying a couple of different things, I got some original hose fittings for a CJ and those had the right bend and threads.
4 Throttle cable. I'm using the throttle cable from a early CJ with a 304 v-8 http://www.morris4x4center.com/accelera ... 57931.html and that's working okay. I did recently break the cable (corrosion) so when I got a new one I also ordered a spare to keep with me.
5. Throttle bracket. This is sort of related to the throttle cable, but I had a fun time finding the right bracket to fit the carb and throttle cable. I can try to look up the part I used (I think it was a Holley part number), but I also had to modify it slightly. If you can find a more elegant solution, definitely go for it. Lokar is probably the go to place for this stuff, but its also no exactly cheap.

I still need to mess around with the jetting (its a tad rich), but otherwise running great, starts quick, and is plenty of carb for the stroker.

Good luck with the carb project, and dont listen to the haters, LOL!