JPrubo's try at a stroker

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
honkysXJ
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: almost stroked
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Re: JPrubo's try at a stroker

Post by honkysXJ »

What kinda of harmonic balancer are all of you guys running. Is a stock 4.0 enough or should I get something else.
Not sure what the stock brand is ,I have heard complaints about "Dorman" anything I'm just gonna reuse mine its only got 300,000 miles on it so it's good as new!
I wouldn't see a problem with a stock replacement ,I would think if it was that big of an issue we would of heard more about it :huh:
JPrubo
Learning to use the board
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by JPrubo »

Thanks, I went with a stock replacement from summit.
JPrubo

Post by JPrubo »

Well picked my block up from the machine shop yesterday. First we fitted the cam. It was tight and we ended up scraping down the bearings a little for the clearance. It seems the blocks twist a little. He has had the same problem with chevy 400 blocks. But it slides in now and spins freely by hand so no problems there. So far he reconditioned my connecting rods, ground the top of the rods down and weight matched them. Pressed the pistons and rods together, bored the block .040" over, balanced everything crank, flywheel, pressure plate, balancer. And decked the block .038" for a zero piston to deck clearance. Can't wait to start putting it together and get the head finished.
JPrubo

Post by JPrubo »

Well the new parts are piling up. I got the head back. Total machine bill was just under 1500. This included cleaning, boring, honing block, grinding the tops of the connecting rods for piston clearance as well as lightening them, recondition the rods, installing ARB hard ware on the rods, mocking up the block to deck it for zero clearance on the pistons. Then balanced the rotating assembly including balancer, flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate. Cleaned and mag tested head, ream valve guides, enlarge seats for large valves cleaned up the throats to match my port job, removed .010" off head, and trimmed down the spring bosses on top of the head to fit the I.D. of my springs. All in all in took longer then I thought (what doesn't though) but he did an excellent job and I think it's going to fit together well. I just ordered my gasket kit and head gasket and hope to get some time to start assembly soon. Hope to have in back in service by summer wheeling season.
beiwulf
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7Turbo soonish
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: ZJ
Vehicle Model: Laredo

Post by beiwulf »

Any pics yet of where your build is at?

for us visual folks… pretty shiny metallic things… and then the curvy soft stuff :slobber: :banana:
95 Silver ZJ 4x4 4.0L (soon to be stroked/boosted) currently DD
1999 Victory V92 (first year production) street bike/cruiser

95 ZJ Turbo Boosted Stroker build threadhttp://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=4342
JPrubo

Post by JPrubo »

Sorry guys life kinda happened and things got put off. I'm now p putting it back together and I'm stuck. I got a 4.2 cam, timing set, and bolt. However the bolt is about an eighth smaller is diameter then the hole in the camshaft sprocket allowing it to wiggle around. I don't have a camshaft bolt washer from a 258. Do they have a collar to take up this slack? I'm going to try and find one to see. Going the gear set I bought is right.
JPrubo

Post by JPrubo »

Wow, do I feel stupid. Flipped the sprocket and ask is well. Hopefully more progress to follow soon as the weather here is starting to warm up.
lens_xj
Stroker Displacement: 4.0
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by lens_xj »

I also have been wanting to put in the 505 4" crank in my build . can't wait to hear how you build came out with that setup
JPrubo

Post by JPrubo »

I'll have to try and since pics later. But I made progress. Bottom end is done. Head is on roller rockers are hiding due exhaust pushrods to show up. Installed valve cover studs and spacer. Hope to have in the frame rails in next week or two.
JPrubo

Post by JPrubo »

Got my pushrods.. If course I ordered the wrong size. So I sent them back and went wheeling in 09 Rubicon I recently bought :hrhr: I had blast but now I need to get this motor done and my main wheeling ride back.