I've lost my mind.. or an MP90 on a 4.6L

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

I've lost my mind.. or an MP90 on a 4.6L

Post by SilverXJ »

I think I have officially lost my mind.

About a year ago I've looked for a Magnuson MP90 supercharger on ebay with no success. I put the thought aside but saved the search, which I had forgot about. A little over a week ago ebay sent me an email with a single match. An MP90 in near perfect condition. So, I bid and I won. Funny thing is that a day after the auction ended another on came up exactly the same. It sold for a little less, oh well.

I don't know what it came off of, but the seller stated "It looks to have been re manufactured and never installed". I received it today and it is in like new condition. It looks to have been bolted on to something, but it has no signs of actual use. The rotor's Teflon coating is untouched, no nicks in the rotor tips and no scores in the case. Basically a new supercharger.

This is a 4th Generation MP90. It differs from the 3rd generation M90 in a few ways. It's total height is slightly lower (5.30" vs 5.42"), it has an internal bypass valve, the outlet and inlet are different (inlet can accommodate a TB w/ an adapter plate), and it is said to be more efficient. The bypass actuator can also be positioned on either side in any number of positions.

This isn't something that hasn't been done before. I got the idea from Think!Performance's kit. http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticl ... arger_kit/

Also, I later found that Montelibre on here installed one on his stroker:

Think! had a plate bolted to a slightly modified 99+ intake manifold, with some cut outs for the passenger side SC bolts. Montelibre also had a plate bolted to the intake manifold using a bit less modified manifold than Think! but he also made a plate to go between the SC and manifold, making bolting it on a bit easier.

For mounting it my plan is to cut the manifold top off as much as possible with and angle cut toward the driver side. Then weld 1/2" aluminum plate over it. The angle cut is to drop the snout as much as possible to prevent any interference with the hood. Then make an adapter plate (like Montelibre) to bolt to the bottom of the MP 90, which would then bolt to the modified manifold. The manifold will be coated in a heat barrier coating and I will also use a form of adhesive heat wrap, which I am already using on the manifold I have now. I am also planning on borrowing Montelibre's snout support/pulley plate idea, which would support the snout better and give more belt wrap on both the MP90 pulley and steering pump. I am unsure how to attach it to the snout yet, but looking for a good solution. The power steering pump will obviously have to be modified with a remote reservoir and possibly a different high pressure fitting. I am not 100% sure what to do about the pump, but I will cross that road when I get to it. I will obviously have to lose the Volant air tube, but plan on keeping the air box and Amsoil air filter.

The back of the MP90 will get a plate which will house the various vacuum lines and the throttle body. I plan on designing it to fit a 68-70mm throttle body in the future. Also, I plan on drilling and tapping it for water/methanol injection nozzles, which may come later.

For fuel I plan on using the AEM FIC6 with larger injectors. Size is undecided as of now.

This will be going on my 4.6L stroker. It has a static compression ratio of 9.54:1 and a dynamic compression or ratio of 8:1. Because of this I will be shooting for a boost of 4-6psi. I plan on using a 2.8" pulley.

I've put a lot of thought into this so far and discussed it quite a bit with O-Gauge-Steamer on NAXJA. However, two major issues may occur.

1) Will it clear the hood? Montelibre's pulley didn't clear the hood so he has a small hood vent installed which the pulley sticks into. I could do that if it doesn't but I already have GTP hood vents installed which I would like to keep. Maybe I could do a slight bulge. Or I have spoke to Brown Dog about making a set of engine drop brackets. They said it would be no problem. Maybe 1" would be all that is necessary. That would give me a better angle for the front shaft, and worse for the rear. I have an SYE in the rear so that won't be an issue. I could also install a transmission cross member drop as well, keeping it all in line. I'm not too concerned about cooling fan interference as I plan on going to all electric.

2) Ping. My stroker wasn't built around forced induction, so my compression ratio is a bit high. I also have 6* of advance over stock programed into the PCM and another 6* of advance from my CPS relocation mod. For a total of 12* of advance over stock. I can pull back timing by removing the CPS mod and via the FIC. However, there is the possibility that it may still ping under boost. That is why I plan on tapping the throttle body adapter plate for water/methanol nozzles. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1088823 Hopefully I won't need the water/methanol injection right away and I can run just by pulling timing for now.

So besides the SC I will need:
-Injectors
-Aluminum plate
-Bypass actuator
-Larger pulley
-Modified steering pump
-Steering remote reservoir
-various fitting for vacuum
-pulley
-Larger throttle body (future)
-Water/methanol injection (future?)

I'll keep this thread updated as I go. I don't have a time frame, but the biggest hurdle now it cutting down the intake manifold and getting a plate welded on.

Pics of my actual MP90:
Output:
Bypass valve external arm.
Input w/ bypass valve visible:
Case, blue is the bearing lube:

It will be going on this:
atias
Making Progress
Making Progress

Re: I've lost my mind.. or an MP90 on a 4.6L

Post by atias »

subscribed! :)

:cheers:
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Looks like it came off a TRD supercharger kit for a 4.7L 2003-04 4runner, 2000-04 Tundra, 2001-04 Sequoia, 1998-04 Land Cruiser: http://www.toyota-4runner.org/performan ... hange.html
cruiser54
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by cruiser54 »

You'll like it.

In the late 80s, a guy named Gary Bryson worked for Jeep Racing and lived here in Prescott, Arizona where I was Service Manager at the local Jeep dealership. He built a 4.6 Hesco stroker with a Paxton supercharger and Electramotive programable fuel injection. Put it in a shortbed 2wd Comanche with an AW4 that had some work done to it. Wide tires and wheels, lowered, with IMSA style fender flares.

This was a project paid for by Jeep!
I got to drive it numerous times and take it for weekends.

I remember one time surprising a guy in a restored 67 GTO at 60 MPH when he tried to pass me. Let's just say he didn't.
Cruiser's Mostly Renix Tips can be found here :
www.cruiser54.com
Wanna view my technical photos? WARNING: Renix heavy!!
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/1725214
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

You just can't leave that stroker alone, can you? And because of that, I say COOL!!! :banana: I have wanted to install a super charger on a stroker, but never could justify the cost of a kits that are out there. Hopefully you can do it cheaper than the kits. I'll be watching!
CobraMarty
BANNED
BANNED
Vehicle Year: 1998

Post by CobraMarty »

Cool project!
I'm sure you have all ready thought of these things, but for others-
Great idea cutting the intake manifold at an angle and rotating the s/c to gain pulley/hood space.
S/C's are heavy, be sure to support it underneath.
You might be able to clock the PS pump CCW to rotate the reservoir out of the way.
130*F delta at 5psi, you might consider that water/meth sooner rather than later.

Your compression should be fine. What is the overlap of your cam?
70mmTB - thumbs up.
1998 XJ 2D AW4 32"MTR 3.55 4.5"RC JCR Slider Magnaflow 150rwHP/174rwTQ=> Sprintex SC Gibson Header 6lb 120-140*IAT 211rwHP/274rwTQ WasherFluid Inj 70mmTB 7.5lb 100-120*IAT=>Now 12 pounds Boost=> +BV ported head
99 XJ M62 S/C
amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

nice score! lookin forward to seeing the completed project, if youre ever done :lol: things just keep going in an upward direction for you as of late!

cruiser54 wrote:Let's just say he didn't.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

dwg86 wrote:You just can't leave that stroker alone, can you?
Yeah I don't know. Poor thing has been through enough.
CobraMarty wrote:S/C's are heavy, be sure to support it underneath.
Yeah, that is in the cards, just need to take a better look at the side of the engine block to see where I could bolt something to.
You might be able to clock the PS pump CCW to rotate the reservoir out of the way.
Can't really clock as I will be using the stock mount. Remove reservoir with a different pump is in the future I believe.
Your compression should be fine. What is the overlap of your cam?
IIRC 37* @ seat.
JolleyRoger
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6?
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Grand

Post by JolleyRoger »

Going to be following this one closely!
SilverXJ wrote: just need to take a better look at the side of the engine block to see where I could bolt something to.
I picked up my engine from the machinist today and will be taking some detailed photos this weekend...
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

No need, I have enough detailed photos. LOL. I might be able to tap into the top of the engine bracket.
turbostroker
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by turbostroker »

Really cool project !
I was planning for a Eaton supercharger in the first place but it's hard too find in Sweden there for it been twinturbo chargers installation on my stroker.
Both have benefits and disadvantages, superchargers is harder too change pressure on than turbochargers but give pressure on lower rpm.
Jeep Wrangler -91 Twinturbo 4.6 Stroker
Bo Wernersson
montelibre
I made it to triple digits!
Vehicle Make: jeep

Post by montelibre »

You have the idea of project quite advanced.
I think you do not need a new pump steering.
Courage and hard work ...the result is worth.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

montelibre wrote:I think you do not need a new pump steering.
Courage and hard work ...the result is worth.
Well, the stock pump's return port isn't threaded. It can be tapped but it really needs to be disassembled to do that properly.

Aside from that I have everything figured out (at least on paper), with some help and ideas from your setup.
jeepman
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: MJ

Post by jeepman »

Very Cool I have been planing this same thing for the last 2 years and have had everything for about that long aswell just needed to build my 4.7L Stroker which is about done...

I did an Eaton M90 on a 05 Rubicon with a stock engine and 37" tires 2 years ago which was meant for my 4.0L CJ but I sold it before doing the install and a customer got the supercharger instead and it turned out well for an experimental one off...

I look forward to seeing your progress...
montelibre
Vehicle Make: jeep

Post by montelibre »

040920121173.jpg
040920121171.jpg
My pump is a high perfomance PCS pump steering. I did not need to do anything to the pump, just plug the hoses with fittings.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.