I've lost my mind.. or an MP90 on a 4.6L

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: I've lost my mind.. or an MP90 on a 4.6L

Post by SilverXJ »

Not simple as cutting and bending then adding side panels if you want something with nice curves that will blend with the rest of the body and last.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Yesterday I cleaned up the exterior a bit.

It won't stay that semi polished look as it will be getting a coating, but I wanted a smooth finish on it.

Today I'm cutting some more test plates on the router. The inlet and outlet plates needed some adjustments.
atias
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by atias »

that thing is just beautiful 8-) .
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

atias wrote:that thing is just beautiful 8-) .
Not yet. Now its just an intake manifold with a very large hole in it. When there is a plate welded to it with some holes, then perhaps.

I've did a few revisions on the inlet plate for more hood clearance. It hit just a bit in the back, but this I can fix easily.

Blue: represents the rear of the MP90
Green: outline of the throttle body spacer and its bolt holes (necessary for IAC mounting ear)
Black: outline of the inlet plate.
Red, yellow: inlet mounting plate bolts and their countersinks.

#5:

I'm leaning toward #7 because its a good distance away from the top center mounting hole countersink and it allows more area to the left for mounting vacuum taps. The only problem is how much it comes into the MP90 body. However I could oval out the side that faces the inlet (Left and right in pic) and blend the TB opening up to the MP90 body. I could also blend into the MP90 body.

This is what I have envisioned for the side that faces the MP90, but I don't show the blending of the TB hole to the MP90. Basically shape the 70mm circle into an oval.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Perhaps a mock up would better show what I am talking about.

Area behind TB opening:

Proposed blending between the TB opening and MP90. That would be the intake plate blended to match the back of the MP90. Th side that faces the MP90 would be ovaled, see image in previous post for the other side:

A few current mockups on manifold. The TPS will just clear the manifold plate and a TJ IAC (90* plug) will fit.

beiwulf
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7Turbo soonish
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: ZJ
Vehicle Model: Laredo

Post by beiwulf »

Taking a wild stab at the fact you are using a donor TB for the mock up and another intake. Your work is way to clean to that TB have your signature on it just yet. Maybe you posted that earlier in the thread and I just missed it. So for eduction sake (mine that is).

You asked the question of me and I don't think I knew enough to answer it correctly. Is this blow or draw?
95 Silver ZJ 4x4 4.0L (soon to be stroked/boosted) currently DD
1999 Victory V92 (first year production) street bike/cruiser

95 ZJ Turbo Boosted Stroker build threadhttp://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=4342
atias
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by atias »

an LT1 throttle body will make your build PERFECT 8-)
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

atias wrote:an LT1 throttle body will make your build PERFECT 8-)
Thought about it. Throttle cable would be an issue with that.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

beiwulf wrote:Taking a wild stab at the fact you are using a donor TB for the mock up and another intake. Your work is way to clean to that TB have your signature on it just yet. Maybe you posted that earlier in the thread and I just missed it.
Its just a throttle body I am using for mock up. I got the intake, fuel rail, cracked injectors, sensors and the throttle body for a good price. I currently have a 63mm on my stroker, but I may upgrade to a 70mm for the SC.. don't know yet.
You asked the question of me and I don't think I knew enough to answer it correctly. Is this blow or draw?
This is considered draw through.

I may lookin to fitting this inlet adapter back there, if there is room. Better throttle body alingment and more room for vacuum taps.

However, its a bight tight back there already

Thats without any kind of intake tube as well.

I may have a solution for the tight space needed for the intake tubing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/261370370821?ss ... 1423.l2649

Nearly a perfect fit for this:

Also, In my search I found this:
http://shop.mpsuperchargers.com/Magnum- ... TB85mm.htm
85mm throttle body for cheap... looks like ass, but might work. I'll have to consider that.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

This is a compromise between the two designs.

Supercharger side:

TB side:

Rough of how it will be mounted to the 3/8" inlet plate:

I would still have to blend it by hand, which is why you see that hole in the center. The area of the side facing the MP90 has a larger area than the 70mm opening for the throttle body.

This design would provide plenty space for extra vacuum taps, only push the throttle body back further by .625" and would allow me to blend the TB opening with the MP90 body. Plus having the TB off center like that not only allows more room for the vacuum taps directly on the inlet plate and more room for the IAC but provides more room for the intake tubing. It would be about $80 via emachine. I would use a local person but the last time was a really bad experience. I needed 6 .25" aluminum plates cut to 4x6" with 4 holes exactly placed. It took they 3 times to get it right with a file I provided them with exact placement. The first time was a joke.. nothing lined up.
beiwulf
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7Turbo soonish
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: ZJ
Vehicle Model: Laredo

Post by beiwulf »

Are you doing file design in solid works/rhino?
95 Silver ZJ 4x4 4.0L (soon to be stroked/boosted) currently DD
1999 Victory V92 (first year production) street bike/cruiser

95 ZJ Turbo Boosted Stroker build threadhttp://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=4342
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Lol.. most of the layouts are done in Adobe Illustrator. That rendering was done using emachineshop's own software. Its not bad, but a bit limited and buggy. I've been meaning to play with solidworks, but haven't had the time.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I was washing the mock up head in the tub and I had a friend over and they asked "why is there a head in the bath tub?"... the only answer I could think of was "Because it wouldn't fit in the dishwasher."

Speaking of mock up head here are some pics of the assembly on the head
Back, showing the linkage:

Spacer will go between the back pate and throttle body, replacing the spacer already present. I also think I will extend the manifold plate to allow me to extend the MP90 output plate. I've a bit concerned that the studs from the MP90 on the driver's side will either hit the manifold or be a pain to install themselves. Extending both will allow more room for bolts/studs. There is enough room to do so and the closest point will be the rear of the MP no where the bypass valve linkage currently is. that will be moved to the passenger side of the MP90 since there is more room there.

Front view, I'll still haven't decided what to do with the fuel pressure check valve. I don't think there will even be enough clearance for a 90* fitting there. However, there is ample room to remove the fuel rail without removing the back plate.

This should clear the hood and provide a reasonable angle for the cables. Once I get the TJ IAC I may rotate the mount a bit more just to provide a bit of extra clearance. That is a stock valve cover with the Hesco VC spacer. I have an extended VC that replaced it. I see making a small cover to tidy up the appearance of the cables a bit once installed.

I think this back plate layout, #7, is a winner. It allows more room for some vacuum connects on the back of the plate and good room for the intake tubing on the driver's side. There are some changes I will do of course before cutting it.

I also think I will go with this 1" spacer ($80) for blending as well as extra vacuum taps. Keep in mind that the smaller circle is there so I can blend the TB port into the PM 90 opening.

And just for shits and giggles the ZJ in the recent snow. I was one of 3 people that came into work that day.
Radioactivexj
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1998

Post by Radioactivexj »

Wow this supercharger looks like it's almost ready to run. I like the work you've done on it. What else do you need to clean up besides the length of the bigger belt before it's finished?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Not even close.
1) Plate size for manifold needs to be decided.
2) Modifications to both inlet and exhaust plates on SC.
3) Manifold plate needs to be welded on
4) After welding it will be machined flat
5) Full engine mock up to check for any clearance issues and align SC.
6) Cut SC outlet plate & inlet plate out of aluminum, order throttle body adapter/spacer
7) Mock up SC again with final plates
8) Drill and tap manifold for SC mounting studs (this will probably be the most nerve racking part)
9) Drill and tap manifold and plates for vacuum/boost taps
10) Get brown dog motor mounts (decide if lowering engine or not)
11) Temporarily mount SC to mock up engine
12) create snout support with idler pulley(s)
13) Create driver side manifold support off engine mount
14) Order PSC pump
15) Mount steering resovoir
16) Make gaskets for plates
17) Drill and tap intake tubing for water/meth nozzle, decide on nozzle size
18) Install water meth system (pump, nozzle, lines, controller, tap into washer reservoir
19) Purchase injectors
20) Take it all apart. Manifold will be sent off to Swaintech for coating, throttle bracket and intake tubing will be sent off for powder coating, plates/adapters will be sent out for anodizing.
21) Install the mess, maybe purchase 70mm throttle body
22) Tune
23) Try not to blow engine up