I've lost my mind.. or an MP90 on a 4.6L

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: I've lost my mind.. or an MP90 on a 4.6L

Post by SilverXJ »

A few updates, more test fitting and modifying mostly.

First, I picked up one of those Jaguar intake tubes.
Looks like it was made to fit in this location:

However I seriously doubt it will clear the hood like that. However, rotated a bit toward the driver side and it may work. I'll have to see though as that will be one of the last steps. Worst case I clean it up a bit, maybe polish or powder coat it and put back on ebay for an actual Jaguar owner to buy. Maybe profit?

I did a mock up on the spacer using some high density urethane (dense foam). I had a piece of scrap that was an inch think and it cuts like butter on the routed. A bit of quick sanding and a coat of paint. Don't mind the messy transition... I was in a bit of a hurry to leave but I wanted to get it finished.

Throttle body side:

Manifold side:

Installed:

Plenty of room for vacuum ports.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

I also modified the SC exhaust plate and resized the weld plate and put some holes and studs in it.

This is using studs on the outside row of the SC. Its close, but not bad. I lose one of the stock holes that I could use for a boost port, but still enough room.

This is the revised exhaust plate:

As opposed to using the stud from the SC and since I have room (I think, will need to verify) I put in another row of studs. It gives me more room to install the nuts as well as room from the boost ports:

Not a lot of room, but it will work. I may give an extra .030" though. This is the driver side:

Passenger / inboard side. Again, I may be able to adjust, but may not on this side as that is right around the area of the welding:

And that IAC I kept referring to as being from a TJ, its not. Its just an earlier sensor. I'll have to find the plug and splice it into the harness.

I'll go with some shorter studs as well as rethink the washer situation. The bottom blue washers are flat and the top ones are Belleville and provide a lock. I was planing on putting flat washers under the Belleville washers to protect the aluminum, but I won't like how they mate up. I could use nylock lock nuts, but there is always the possibility that if I need to remove the SC from the manifold that the nuts will stay locked and pull the studs out. Of course the studs will be loctite'd into place for thread sealing as well as locking.

I also need to decide if I should use the studs from the SC or go with the separate row of studs on the driver side. Maybe more unneeded complexity? Or better anchoring?? Checking for clearance will give one form of an answer. Using the studs from the manifold will allow a narrower weld plate and SC exhaust plate, however I will lose a boost tap.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

A couple weeks ago I mocked up the supercharger + manifold on an engine. Used the Gates Laser Align tool to pull the SC pulley inline with the crank pulley. From my crude measurements off the PS pump was only 1/16" off. I'm unsure if i will continue to use the Gates tool or get the Dayco which shoots a line instead.. and also doesn't need calibration.

Close up:

I also did come measuring. The red circle is where the throttle bracket will land.. plenty of space. The green is where the highest point on the front of the MP90 body will be.. its close, but a 1/2" engine drop and maybe some of the brace removal will help. The red is where the pulley will land. The hood latch will definitely have to be moved over and I might have just enough room to clear once I do that, shave the front of the pulley down a bit and lower the engine.

This is where the throttle body will hit in relation to the fuel rail... I have 3-4" behind that before the fire wall. Still don't know if the Jaguar intake tube will fit.

I measured for clearance to extend the plates out to the driver's side. I have plenty, but I can't move the MP any further to the driver's side due to clearance with the brake booster. However, I can extend both plates so I don't have to mount off the SC studs (more clearance between the side of the manifold and the studs) and more room to mount the manifold support.

Last week I ordered a piece of aluminum to weld on the manifold. This will be one of the parts that will make me the most nervous. The possibility of damaging the manifold, not sealing the plate to the manifold and possibly warping the manifold itself
xjjeepcjs
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: Chreokee

Post by xjjeepcjs »

Impressive build!
jason_alex_2009
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.6?
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: Wj

Post by jason_alex_2009 »

great build!!! very interesting... any idea how long will complete or HP/torq numbers?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Its coming along at a snails pace. However, the intake manifold and plate is at the welder to get welded together. I did get around to making a mount for the meth injection pump last weekend. My list of summer projects is growing. Refurb a bike, headliner in the ZJ and XJ, oil cooler/heater w/ remote oil filter, NP242 transfer case in the ZJ, and the SC install.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Not much of an update. The manifold has been at the welders for the past month or so to attach the top plate to the manifold. He said he was almost done last week. Ugh... seems like most of my projects are on hold due to some outside source.

I did remove the bypass bearings so I can run the bypass actuator on the passenger side instead of the driver's side of the MP90. The bearings themselves were $30 for both and I used this tool to remove them: http://www.ebay.com/itm/390672342439?ss ... 1439.l2649

This tool made it a breeze to remove the bearings. I also pulled the worn bearing on my throttle body to replace with this tool as well. It can be also used to remove the transfer case bearings. I'm undecided if I should keep it or sell the kit at a discount.

Excuse the shitty tablet camera pics... I left the real camera at home.

Magnuson wanted $90 for labor + parts + shipping to replace the bearings. And shipping this heavy bitch to Cali is not cheap. Magnuson would not sell just the bearings to me. Luckily the bearing has the part number on them and while they were a bit hard to find I found a local guy that could get them. And he even dropped them off at my place of work. Nice.

So all I need now is the actuator valve and the arm, which I can install myself.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

After a long wait I got my SC manifold back from the welder. The welds may not be pretty, but they are much better than I expected. Especially when considering he was welding a 1/2" 6061 plate to a cast manifold with a wall thickness of around 3/16". I was actually expecting much worse. He did have to do some stick welding at the front of the plate as there wasn't enough room to get the TIG or MIG welder in there. I'm not going to see it and as long as it holds I don't care.

There was actually a bit of warping on the head mating surface from when he welded the space between #1&2 and 5&6 runners due to me breaking through when removing the walls between the runners. I should have supplied him a head to bolt it to while welding back then, but I did not take that into consideration. This time I did. He actually mentioned that he kept snugging the bolts down while welding the plate on. That bit of warp is now gone.

There is much more work to be done on the manifold though... drill and tap the vac/ pressure ports, pressure test the manifold for leaks (and so I don't blow the welds off it.. lol), clean up the welds, grind the intruding plate on # 3 & 4 runners, machine the plate flat, mock up everything on a block and head, decide on a position for the MP90, align the MP90 with the balancer and PS pump pulley, mark mounting holes, drill and tap, make manifold support off the engine mount, have it coated, etc. And that is just on the manifold. Crap.. looks like i might be installing it in the middle of winter. And I still have other projects to work on.

Still waiting on those Brown Dog mount too.
beiwulf
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7Turbo soonish
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: ZJ
Vehicle Model: Laredo

Post by beiwulf »

Good pics thanks for sharing again Chris.

Brian
95 Silver ZJ 4x4 4.0L (soon to be stroked/boosted) currently DD
1999 Victory V92 (first year production) street bike/cruiser

95 ZJ Turbo Boosted Stroker build threadhttp://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=4342
savagef82
Noob
Noob

Post by savagef82 »

Excited to see the next update.

I'm amazed how much thought you put into your builds.

Congratulations on fitting everything under the hood as well as you did.
vashxj
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by vashxj »

looking good im going to have kinda do something like this with my tb setup, im going to have him weld a couple mounting nuts so I can bolt a heat shield under the intake too. hows the drilling and tapping going?
crazygogo
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 242 + .30 over
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: wj

Post by crazygogo »

GREAT BUILD AND AMAZING DETAIL of the build.. SLIVER XJ keep it up..
doublins
Stroker Displacement: 5.2L V8 (was 4.7L)
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by doublins »

Someone's selling a one-off M90 supercharger kit that they made inhouse- they put an air/water intercooler inline between the manifold and the blower, might want to look at it for ideas, or possibly grab it up: $2500 OBO

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/engines- ... plete.html
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990

Post by Muad'Dib »

^^^ didn't that come out of a TJ or YJ though? The XJ in this case wouldn't fit that thing at all..
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Yeah. That would stick out of the hood of an XJ about 6". Also, no power steering pump mounting in the stock location. It looks like theirs is on the right front of the engine.

I'm still working on the manifold. The welder is having a hard time getting one part to seal. Its a real PIA. I have to get it back from him, grind excess off, clean it then set it up for pressure testing.