4.2ish WJ mini stroker

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
Knoxes
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: GC

Re: 4.2ish WJ mini stroker

Post by Knoxes »

JolleyRoger wrote:http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-0 ... /make/jeep

This is the stud and bolt kit, dont remember the exact size.
Huh- that will work up to 2002, I think. But Dorman's website says it won't work on my 2003. That's odd. And they don't have a kit available for the 2003. :confused:

I have all of the bolts and caps anyway, but would have replaced them if I could've found a kit.
2003 WJ 4.0L (stroker candidate)
2004 WJ 4.7L HO
Knoxes
Donator
Donator

Post by Knoxes »

SilverXJ wrote:6036193AA for the studs
Thanks! $4.60 each at the dealer. That's almost $2 less per than Hesco. And no shipping costs.
2004 WJ 4.7L HO
Knoxes
Donator
Donator

Post by Knoxes »

Back to work after a day breaking some speed limits in the XKE on the way to a small gathering of classic and modern Euro/American muscle.

This is how we decided to lift it.

That's a piece of angle iron bolted into the head via the valve cover bolts. It seems overly complicated, but it turns out to have some significant advantages.

Such as multiple attachment points...

Which we had to adjust (note the jack stands)...

Finally got it back into the engine compartment, although we're having some trouble getting it hooked back up to the transmission. I think we're going to have to pull it back out and move those rear chains forward a bit to clear the cowling.

Forgot to add - talked to a guy at that show - he brought out a 88 XJ with a 6.something stuffed under the hood. :shock:
2004 WJ 4.7L HO
Knoxes
Donator
Donator

Post by Knoxes »

So close.... Bought new bolts for the exhaust manifold to downpipe connection from the dealer - $2.10 each. Expected that connection to be a pita, but it went together fairly easily. Bought a 15MM universal joint socket to access the back bolt on the front pipe. It helped, but I think that the offset wrench is still the way to go. Sorted out the wire routing and connectors on the passenger side.

And of course, I broke that stupid plastic mount that bolts on to the back of the valve cover - it's there to support the harness. Looked all over online and cant find that part number anywhere.
2004 WJ 4.7L HO
beiwulf
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7Turbo soonish
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: ZJ
Vehicle Model: Laredo

Post by beiwulf »

Another resource is calling a local dealership and speaking with the service writer or another experienced mechanic maybe even parts department. Posting a picture might assist also for location and visual.

I felt back around the valve cover on mine and couldn't seem to find anything particular to fit description. But then again I'm a boot/ noob here still very much so.
95 Silver ZJ 4x4 4.0L (soon to be stroked/boosted) currently DD
1999 Victory V92 (first year production) street bike/cruiser

95 ZJ Turbo Boosted Stroker build threadhttp://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=4342
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

I checked a few FSM and its not listed. Its probably considered part of the harness and not sold separately. You may want to google stud mount zip ties or something similar.
Knoxes
Donator
Donator

Post by Knoxes »

Ok, almost there. The radiator is back in, most of the electrical connections are snapped back together. Need to get the condenser installed, plug in the injectors, then the bumper and fascia. Drop the battery in and...

Distracted this weekend by an effort to pre-oil. We pulled the oil pressure sensor, screwed in a 1/4" pipe fitting and are now trying to use a garden sprayer to pump all of the gallery full of oil.
2004 WJ 4.7L HO
Knoxes
Donator
Donator

Post by Knoxes »

We're ready to turn the key! Saturday is the big day - a couple of gallons of fresh fuel and an offering to the Gods of Mopar...

Thought that we would hold off with the fascia and hood until we were certain that it was running. The pre-oil initiative.... not sure how that worked out. Not sure that we'll ever know.

Pretty sure that we got almost all of the old gas out with the Topsider, which has turned out to be an invaluable tool. We got almost 3 gallons of G-05 and distilled water into the cooling system. I have a feeling that there's still some air in there.

I've pulled the A/C relay to avoid damage to the compressor until I can have it recharged.

My only concern is how much transmission fluid was lost when we pulled the radiator. I can't remember, and I'm not sure that I'll be able to tell until we actually have it rolling in gear.

I need to prime the fuel line. And I'd love to have another go at priming via the oil pump, but I'm not sure how easily I could get it back to TDC.
2004 WJ 4.7L HO
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L

Post by SilverXJ »

Knoxes wrote: I have a feeling that there's still some air in there.
Yeah, there usually is.
I've pulled the A/C relay to avoid damage to the compressor until I can have it recharged.
Good insurance, but the compressor shouldn't kick on below a certain pressure.
My only concern is how much transmission fluid was lost when we pulled the radiator.
Not much, about a 1/4 of a quart
I need to prime the fuel line. And I'd love to have another go at priming via the oil pump, but I'm not sure how easily I could get it back to TDC.
When you are priming the oil pump the crank doesn't need to move. Pull cam sensor, drop your preferred priming tool and go at it. However, it is pretty easy to find TDC. Pull the #1 plug, pit finger over hole and rotate engine until you feel compression or air escape... bring balancer to TDC mark.
Knoxes
Donator
Donator

Post by Knoxes »

It's running!

We had some significant delays due to some unrelated issues, so I didn't have as much time as I would have liked to prep. I bought a 18" long wood drill bit with a 5/8" blade. A half inch blade would've been better, but we just shaved the sides down and cut the cutting blades off to make something that looked like a really long flathead screwdriver. Taking the coil packs off (again) and pulling the plugs (again) was kind of a hassle, but spinning up the oil pump was just a bit of added peace of mind. FTR, we spun it in both directions, but concluded that counter clockwise was probably the right direction.

I did a pretty sloppy job reinstalling the camshaft position sensor, so it's wouldn't start for the first hour or two. We fiddled around with various things - even going for more new gas. It would chug and occasionally start and run for 10 seconds, but wouldn't really respond to the throttle. I was pretty sure it was the timing, so we went back, pulled the coil pack (again) and the plugs (again), got the CPS installed right and it lit right up. Great throttle response and solid oil pressure. Ran it for about 20 minutes or so, but had to leave it at that. So I'm heading back to install the hood and fascia this weekend, take it out and put a few miles on it to make sure that everything is working as it should be.

woot.
2004 WJ 4.7L HO
savagef82
Noob
Noob

Post by savagef82 »

:cheers:

Glad to hear you got it going, Congradulations.

I haven't torn my block down yet but plan to start soon and after that my 4.2 shouldn't be too far from completion.

Keep the updates coming.
Knoxes
Donator
Donator

Post by Knoxes »

Done!

It took a bit of work to get the hood aligned properly. That's a two person job. I didn't have the latch lined up right, so when you released the hood, it kinda torqued to one side rather than popping straight up. I couldn't have seen that from the driver's seat. Also worked on getting the hood/fender gaps just right.

We drove it around for about 20 miles and it ran brilliantly. Now I just need to get the a/c recharged and get it inspected.

At some point over this build, I swapped out the wheels and tires with my other WJ, which is a DD for Mrs K. I really don't like those Limited rims and the tires on there are crap, so I dumped them on the "project". So I've been shopping around for another set of Silverblades, but I really haven't found much. Eh, there's plenty of time, I guess.

Anywhoo....

I can't thank the Jeep Strokers group enough. Going into this, I really thought I knew quite a bit of automotive dope, and I suppose I know enough, but I was so completely nescient (see pg 1 of this thread!). It's hard to know what you don't know. Special thanks to Cheromaniac and Silver for the wealth of info and very timely responses, but really, thanks to everyone that contributed to this thread. There's no way that I could've done this without you guys.
2004 WJ 4.7L HO
Knoxes
Donator
Donator

Post by Knoxes »

When am I supposed to change the oil in this? It still has the original oil, and maybe 75-100 miles on it.
2004 WJ 4.7L HO
shawnxj
I love this board
I love this board
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by shawnxj »

change the break in out out after breaking in the cam. change the oil again at 500 miles then go about your normal oil changes
Knoxes
Donator
Donator

Post by Knoxes »

A thousand miles in and everything's working pretty well, except that I'm getting a heavy clunk. It's right after I release the key and the engine catches and torques. And only when it's cold. It's a bit rough when idling, but only so much that you know it's running - no stutter. Bit worried about that clunk.
2004 WJ 4.7L HO