Muad'Dib 4.7L stroker build

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Muad'Dib 4.7L stroker build

Post by SilverXJ »

Hope those injectors work better.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990

Post by Muad'Dib »

Update..

Im on Mile 2413 on the new engine. Everything is solid. Sounds great... actually is very quiet outside the vehicle at idle. Inside is a littly rattly because of the Brown Dogs. Once im not idling no vibes. HOT HOT idle is 20PSI.. when RPM's jump slightly higher than idle (approx 1500-2000) pressure is 40+. Currently running 10w-30 Valvoline VR1 with ZDDP Plus.

Still waiting to get enough money to get a custom 2.5" Mandrel bent downpipe / frontpipe made. Quoted cost for that is around 225 with 02 bungs etc..

New EV6 injectors are working ok... kinda sticky at first but thats probably my fault for purchasing rebuilt ones. AFR's at WOT are much better. When i pounce on it AFR is around 13 and as i reach redline it drops to around 12 becuase of the vacuum loss. Im not sure if i can really adjust much better than that. Power is better. When i have more time i will record my current fuel pressure.

Valvetrain is super quiet... wasnt expecting that but its a really good thing.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Geck_4.6
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1997

Post by Geck_4.6 »

Nice build!!
I been around the off-road scene for awhile and know people that know people.
I spent 2K on my 4.6 stroker. ;)

How much was it to have your intake manifold ceramic coated? And do most powdercoating companies do this or where can i go to have this done? I have the same 98+ intake that i would like to install.
Jeff.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Geck_4.6 wrote:Nice build!!
I been around the off-road scene for awhile and know people that know people.
I spent 2K on my 4.6 stroker. ;)

How much was it to have your intake manifold ceramic coated? And do most powdercoating companies do this or where can i go to have this done? I have the same 98+ intake that i would like to install.
Jeff.
I mentioned the Intake Manifold Coating cost in the main post of this thread. It was $125 coated inside and out. I took mine to a local trusted Powder Coating shop.
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

I just did my 5th oil change today. I have 4757 miles on the Stroker.

Comp Cams 10w30 breakin oil with ZDDP Plus:
Used for cam breakin and then changed
Ran for ~350 miles then changed

Valvoline VR1 10w30 With ZDDP Plus:
Rest of the time.

I dont really have much news. Its been running just fine. Working exactly as expected. Still running quiet with perfect oil pressure.

Ive been chasing down a problem with runnin lean randomly. I thought it was Fuel Pump related and ive swapped it out with a new one with mixed results. I think the bottom line is that i need to use new injectors instead if trying to use remanufactured. I will order a new set hopefully soon.

Nothing else to report.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

When does it run lean?
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

I'm pretty sure one or more injectors are sticking. It randomly goes super lean when starting... either cold or hot doesn't matter; as i said random. Sometimes ill go days without issue... other days it will be every time i start it. Runs lean (-- on wideband) for about 30-45 seconds then clears up.

The only other time ill notice is when I'm at a particular load level on the engine. Say I'm cruising along and i give the engine part throttle (maybe 3/4) i will accelerate and then the engine will randomly go lean for a second (15.5ish AFR) and then go back to normal. You can not only tell on the wideband, but the engine losses power. Sometimes it will do this for more than a second and i will let off the skinny pedal and not run it like that. If i go WOT or somewhere else besides that particular throttle level at that load then the problem isn't there.

This did not happen (or at least i didn't notice) when i was running the other set of injectors. The set i have now when i purchased them i had 1 dud that was replaced by the company i purchased them from. I had one other that i know was sticking when i first got it.. but it cleared up (or enough to run normal again). I'm thinking it was just a bad idea to use these remans... but others may have input.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Muad'Dib wrote:I'm pretty sure one or more injectors are sticking. It randomly goes super lean when starting... either cold or hot doesn't matter; as i said random. Sometimes ill go days without issue... other days it will be every time i start it. Runs lean (-- on wideband) for about 30-45 seconds then clears up.
That sounds what mine does. Lean for around a minute until the O2 sensors are read by the PCM. But mine is a cold start.. maybe the earlier PCM wait to read the O2 sensors on both cold and hot.
The only other time ill notice is when I'm at a particular load level on the engine. Say I'm cruising along and i give the engine part throttle (maybe 3/4) i will accelerate and then the engine will randomly go lean for a second (15.5ish AFR) and then go back to normal. You can not only tell on the wideband, but the engine losses power. Sometimes it will do this for more than a second and i will let off the skinny pedal and not run it like that. If i go WOT or somewhere else besides that particular throttle level at that load then the problem isn't there.
Check your TPS with an analog volt meter. It could possible have a dead spot.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

I can tell when the engine isnt reading 02 data (morning start as an example) as it runs rich (12.5ish). When it starts using the 02 it goes to 14.7ish.

Ive been meaning to replace this TPS anyway as its a new one from Autozone and ive been having a random low and high idle issue typical of this cheap replacement.
MarkA

Post by MarkA »

I have enjoyed readying your thread. I am starting a stroker build soon after I finish collecting parts. My build is very similar to yours. Are you happy now with your build now?

What octane gas are you running and have you had any pinging problems?
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

MarkA wrote:I have enjoyed readying your thread. I am starting a stroker build soon after I finish collecting parts. My build is very similar to yours. Are you happy now with your build now?

What octane gas are you running and have you had any pinging problems?
I built the engine to run on Premium... so thats what i run.

When i was running large injectors, i took the Jeep over to the coast without any pinging issues... i'm at 3500ish feet so i don't really worry about it. Although the last time i took it over to the valley (~350ft) with my correct size injectors (23lbhr) i did catch it pinging slightly on mid acceleration. I dropped in some octane booster and it immediately went away. It is a high CR pump gas engine... but thats what i wanted to build so thats what i have.

I definitely have been up and down about how i feel about it. I spent alot of money to do every last thing / new part i could throw at this thing. For awhile i felt underwhelmed... but i think i have some renewed faith in it now. I purchased some new injectors and that made a big difference. I didn't have a good experience with used injectors that were supposedly cleaned and refurbished. They were "MotorMan" injectors. I purchased new TRE Performance ones and so far they have been great. Definitely felt a nice SOTP performance increase.

Moving on, i have a small update. As noted earlier i do have new injectors now and that cleared up the random lean problem i was having. It never starts and goes lean on me anymore.. and startup is almost instantaneous. I re-adjusted my AFPR and i also turned my adjustable MAP back on. I dropped my 5.06v down to 5v even. I feel like it has as much power as i'm going to be able to squeeze out of it. My AFR's are 13ish at WOT which drops down to about 12.5 as i approach 4500-5000 RPM's and then right before it shifts at redline it drops a little rich sometimes down to 11ish.

I AM still fighting a lean issue. Its kind of hard to explain but i will do my best. It happens more when the engine is cold or warming up. Not as much when its warmed up or HOT. What happens is that when i press the throttle a certain amount (anywhere between 0-35%) it will drop lean to about 16. This also depends on my rate of pressing the pedal. If i do it slow and steady in this range, then usually 16ish is about as lean as it will get. If i do it quickly, then i will drop to -- on the wideband and i will have a noticeable loss of power. No backfiring or anything.. but the power is completely gone. If i leave the pedal at that particular position it will stay lean for awhile when accelerating. If i let off the gas and it will then correct and if i press the throttle again it might drop to 16ish and then correct itself. Ironically when its doing this if i say press the pedal 50% or 65% then i don't experience this issue. The same goes for WOT. Its Definitely a strange one, but manageable. The knock sensor saves me here also.

I did-do have a fitment issue with my Header and downpipe with donut. I'm thinking that this problem could all be related to a small exhaust leak here as it could be sucking in a little outside air throwing off the 02. Would this cause it to run lean? My 02 and wideband are in the downpipe after the header \ downpipe connection. The only other thing i can think of is a weirdness in the TPS. Do you guys have some input on this??

Otherwise everything is great! Gas mileage sucks! average around 11-13 MPG's in town (granted i live >1 mile from work and i could walk if i wasn't so cold and wasn't so lazy). HWY i still haven't gotten an accurate reading on. maybe 15-16 if im lucky? I have a heavy foot too!

Thanks guys!
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Still cant get this lean issue nicked.

The best i can tell my computer isnt fast enough to recognize when the throttle is opened.

When driving or at idle (mainly when im at idle) When i press the gas the Jeep goes really lean. (-- on wideband. and noticeable loss of power.) It does this all the time.

If i keep the accelerator down it will stay lean just for a bit and then go to 14.7. If i accelerate hard, it will drop lean just for a split second and then go to 13.

All the other times the engine seems to run normal.. its just this stupid issue i cant get fixed.

Here is what i have tried replacing.

Brand New 23lb injectors
Brand New MAP.
No Vacuum leaks
Adjusted TPS several times.

What do you guys think could be the problem? Is it possible the injectors are too small even though i have it tuned just right at WOT?
Could my New Autozone TPS cause this?
Could it be my RENIX computer just isnt fast enough?

FWIW, here are some SS's of my plugs. (seem just fine to me except the porcelain area is a light pink (from what ive read this is caused by newer additives in the fuel these days))

http://s109.photobucket.com/albums/n57/ ... tz1/Plugs/

Thanks guys for the help!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Those plugs aren't pink from and additive. If it was a gas additive you would have a slight red/pink tint to the white porcelain. You would still see white. I don't know what to make of those plugs, but i am not a plug reading expert.

Do you have any way to view the data from the Renix PCM? Like fuel trim, TPS, rpm, etc?
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

SilverXJ wrote:Those plugs aren't pink from and additive. If it was a gas additive you would have a slight red/pink tint to the white porcelain. You would still see white. I don't know what to make of those plugs, but i am not a plug reading expert.

Do you have any way to view the data from the Renix PCM? Like fuel trim, TPS, rpm, etc?
I dont know if those pics are that great... the plugs looked brown to me... the porcelain is what looked pink.

I have the Arduino that i still need to get it put together to see data.... but i dont think i can get that specific data.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AUqQrLLVdZ8
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

you could test the TPS with a standard analog meter.