Muad'Dib 4.7L stroker build

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Muad'Dib 4.7L stroker build

Post by Muad'Dib »

After a couple days of trying the adj map, im kindof sick of the morning starts. The Jeep wont start at all with out trying to turn it over 10 different times (approx guess). Once it starts it just sounds funny while warming up. Once the engine is warm though it likes the adjusted voltage just fine. Im thinking maybe of just leaving it off unless i really feel like i need it. Im also curious to see if it makes a difference on a dyno whenever i finally get the Jeep on one.
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
92tank
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.5
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by 92tank »

quick question, i dont remember seeing that you took the "cone" out of the intake box. were the tube hooks up. if you havent that will get you some more air, almost double the size of the hole. its the first thing i do when i or somone i know gets a new jeep.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Are you talking about the Venturi thingy on a stock intake? I havent had a stock intake on my Jeep for years ;) .. but i have been using the stock rubber peice to the TB. I do have a silicon adapter on order right now so i can finally get rid of a stock rubber peice. I was stuck with it on my old RENIX TB... but not anymore!

Map is still kicking my ass in the morning.
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
92tank

Post by 92tank »

yeah that thingy, i knew you were using the hose and thought maybe you had the stock box as well.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Does anyone have any insight as to why i might be losing the "pull" between 4500 and 5000 RPM's in 2nd gear. When transitioning between 1st and 2nd, it pulls strong, but from 2nd to 3rd, it (the best way i can describe) "hangs" between that RPM range. It doesnt pull through as hard as 1st to 2nd and when it shifts into 3rd and drops to lower RPM, it really starts to pull again... puts me back in my seat. Is it possible that its Valve float? Or maybe just the cam grind? Supposedly this cam makes power between 1100 and 4500 RPM's and from what i understand in a stroker that figure gets reduced even more. Would it really drop off that hard? I might even take a video if that helps.

Thanks!
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Ok well today i finally got my new silicone tube installed on the Jeep. Ive got it set up to be much less restrictive then what i had on there before, however it does hit the hood, and the hood pushes it down maybe 1/4 inch when closed. Ive got it set up so that it allows for this flexibility... Still it hits the hood and i wish it didnt. Maybe with a cowl induction hood it will clear.. im hoping so but thats far out on my budget right now. Im still behind from this damn stroker.

Here are a couple pics of the new intake mounting.

I also got some video today on my cell.. Its always a good idea to drive and video at the same time doing WOT runs. I might of killed about 10 people, but hey i got video! ;)

Yes she needs a good cleaning on the inside!

This is a start at part throttle so that i wouldnt burn out and then waited for a clearing to do WOT. You can see where i said it kinda "Hangs"... but i guess if you watch MPH it still is climbing ok??

This next one is a WOT from a stop... my bald tires just spinning and spinning then finally catching lol. I left my AC on so it really hung up high.

amcinstaller
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1980
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Spirit

Post by amcinstaller »

REGULATORS!!!!!! :cheers: loves me some warren g may he rest in peace!

also, wow thats a pretty quick climb to 60m/h
1980 AMC Spirit Restomod in Progress
SilverXJ wrote:Roller rockers won't help that mess you have created. Nor will God for that matter.
92tank

Post by 92tank »

here is a suggestion for: if the hood only needs between 1/4 and 1/2 inches of clearance, what if for now you just space it up a little front and rear. like maybe 1/4 inch in the front under the latches and 1/2 inch at the hinges in the rear. shouldnt look to bad from a distance.

PS cowl hoods are not as easy as they look, iv got mine started just need to get it smoothed out. and just remeber welding makes metal HOT. ask my fingers :doh:
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

I dont have the skills to make one.. so i will just purchase one when i get the money. I thought about shimming the hood.. but i ran across town 4 times yesterday and the engine performed great with the new tube... so im not too worried about it right now.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Quick update ... im down to 3.9v on the Adj Map to get WOT AFR leaner. Im now high 12.x instead of 11ish. Still even now close to the shift point the AFR drops to 11. The RENIX system must really dump the fuel in at WOT for me to adjust the voltage that low. Either that or something else is off making the Accell injectors way to big.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

You can get an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. http://www.strokedjeep.com/regulator.html. It would help you bring the AFRs down a bit more with out screwing with the MAP too much.
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Wouldnt a FPR effect the whole band and not just WOT? Because thats only where i am rich... Or is the computer already trimming a shit load out and then at WOT cant trim enough so a lower fuel pressure will fix??
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Got an update...

Dont want to go back outside.. but to guess i have about 1200 on the stroker now. No problems at all. Oil pressure never drops below 20psi even with a low idle.

I purchased a High Altitude CPS, and installed it.. Felt very small butt dyno increase in power.

Got some new tires finally.. Some 235-75-15 General Grabber AT2's Can still burn them out!

Purchased and installed an Adjustable FPR from Leigh Performance Machine. I have it adjusted all the way out and that dropped the fuel pressure down to about 29ish with the vacuum line connected. With it disconnected it never really budged from 39-40ish. AFR is back up to average 12.5 @ WOT with it set-up this way. Hopefully cold starts are not effected. From here i think i will maybe try to adjust the MAP down just a tad to lean it out a bit more.

With the current set-up it pulls HARD. Much more power IMO. Feels and sounds great.

Now i think that a 2.5" downpipe will really make it scream! Time will tell.

Maybe i should also consider smaller injectors???
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

Another update for everyone...

Not sure of the mileage at this point.. i need to go out and calculate it but i dont feel like going out and looking at the Odometer lol..

We took a "on the whim" trip to the coast for Sunday and Monday this Labor Day weekend. We have RC cars with paddle's and they are a blast on the Beach. We decided to go to Florence as we both have only been once when we were littler. I tell you what if you have never visited the Oregon Dunes come check them out. We went on this 1 hour Sand Rail tour through Sandland Adventures and it was AWESOME!! It was so much fun... The kids sat up front with the driver and they were screaming and enjoying the whole ride. Its beautiful out here. The Sandland adventures "tour" was great and again i highly recommend doing it. We did the 1 hour fast tour. Its expensive as hell but well worth it. Dont go for the 30 minute one even though its cheaper... its just not near enough time. Even one of the people that rode with us took the 30 minute tour and was riding the 1 hour now because of that. We thought the 1 hour wasnt long enough!!

Anyway about the Jeep. I was afraid at lower elevation that the Jeep would go ping crazy and i would have to put in Octane Booster. However the Jeep seems just fine! If its Pinging its making no different noises than it does at 3500ft. It definetly has a different "feel" to how the engine is running and i honestly can explain it.. but something is different but no unusual noises. Two things i do notice: At start up, the Jeep wants to high idle a little long. For approx 10 seconds and then settles in. Second, the Jeep has was more power.

Gas mileage sucks ass right now and i dont know if its all from larger injectors... but i wont be able to tell more accurately until i get the right size injectors in it. I got about 230 miles before my gas light came on.. which calculated to about 14MPG. I did do a number of WOT passing runs but gosh shes hogging up the gas right now.

Im going to maybe look into getting a permit to take the Jeep out on the sand and beach that would be awesome!!

End update ;)
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner

Post by Muad'Dib »

I know i keep posting back to back with updates... but thats what this thread is for right???

Anyway, i just ordered some 23lb/hr injectors and i will see how it goes with them.

I did some calculations based off of how far i could drop my fuel pressure. With my FPR, i can drop down to about 33-35 pounds, and that would just get me barely about 12.5 AFR maybe just a little rich still at WOT. With my current 26lb injectors, this calculates into being about 23lb hr of fuel at that pressure. That is what made me choose 23lb injectors that i plan to run at 43.5psi. With the FPR i have, i can easily bump up the pressure pretty high if i wanted too (prob 50+) and with the flow rate of the injectors i purchased and the Strokers current requirements... i wont be pushing them too hard either.

For anyone thats interested, i purchased BOSCH Design III injectors for Dodge Neons / Stratus's. The part number is 280155703.