Gonridnu's stroker build

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ 2 door

Re: Gonridnu's stroker build

Post by gonridnu »

Hmmm....unfortunately not by looking at them. The book I was in today is an aftermarket supplier to machine shops had diametrical spring charts, but I did not see any beehive springs that were near the same size as ours and boosted spring pressure (other than the identical ones for the V-10 truck). I'll get some copies and look again....

Looks like he's running an aluminum cover so maybe it is just a comp set up? U guys would know better than me.

10.6-1 on an iron head and pump gas?????????? Hmmmmmm.......
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by gonridnu »

Day 22.....sucked

No pushrods so I did almost nothing. Let's see, took the head off cause I thought I could flow it but a paying customer was before me... all day. I painted the valve cover, glass beaded my second junk thermostat housing (where do U guys get new ones anyway?), wire wheeled the head bolts, and yup....that's pretty well it....oh no wait I....no I didn't do that either...lol

I couldn't use the flow bench 'cause it was in use but I will Monday morning with any luck. If not It's going together and I'm bringing it home so I can get on with life.

So just to give everyone a good laugh at my expense....

I took apart two engines and kept all the hardware separate. I did throw away all the disposable pieces as I disassembled. I used all the hardware from the new engine on the new engine. So while I was sitting there with nothing to do I was reading through my beloved Haynes manual (that was a joke) and it mentioned a cam bolt washer. I was like huh....I didn't see one of those? So I looked through my new engine bolts from the '96, of which there are not many left, and found no such washer.

So I went to my old Renix stuff and lo and behold it had a cam bolt washer. So my question for U guys is do the later engines use a cam bolt washer? I'm sure the answer is yes and it was stuck to the oily timing chain sprocket when my dumb ass tossed it in the garbage but I wanted to ask to be sure. Besides if U can't laugh at yourself.....
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

gonridnu wrote: 10.6-1 on an iron head and pump gas?????????? Hmmmmmm.......
Dynamic is 8.99. I've ran 8.42 and midgrade wouldn't cut it 100%. Premium was where it was at so maybe its dooable... maybe with just a really rich AFT. We don't know thought because he never posted if it worked or now.
gonridnu wrote: thermostat housing (where do U guys get new ones anyway?),
Hesco sells a high flow one so do others. I think Flowkooler has one.
So my question for U guys is do the later engines use a cam bolt washer?
Yes, its a thick piece and is necessary. And I thought you were out of the woods with the can spring an pin. :smack:
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by gonridnu »

New timing set at Napa $12.00....Claening ur parts....1/2 hour....making a rookie mistake = priceless
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by gonridnu »

If I had to guess, which I love to do anyway, I'd say a .060" over block with almost .050" off the deck and what appears to be minimal quench at 10.6 compression on an iron, head would need a lot of altitude advantage to not detonate. Just a guess I know but we live at 5500 feet and have built a bunch of engines with "enhanced compression'. The fact that it has a knock sensor works to his advantage but you can only retard the timing so much and then you increase the running temperature and decrease the performance gain you worked so hard for.

I have couple other questions about his set up......

He sez he has an adjustable fuel pressure regulator but is using the 99 manifold. He also sez he has a "modified fuel rail". My understanding is the difference between the early and late fuel pumps is the later ones are regulated in the tank. Do they make an adjustable for those (what a pain in the ass to adjust it though). Does someone modify the later fuel rails so the can have an adjustable FPR in the engine compartment? I wouldn't mind getting one of those manifolds if that were the case......And just how much of an improvement are they?

I understand changing the P/S bracket but am unclear if it requires a different pump. Personally I hate the way the Renix style tensioning set up is and saw the later one and it looked way better. The only hitch is I purchased and installed AGR pump for the early set up some time ago. It wouldn't totally break my heart to change over but if I could keep the AGR that would be a bonus. Is the pump different? Has anyone made/adapted a spring loaded tensioner set up like the rest of the civilized world uses?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

gonridnu wrote: He sez he has an adjustable fuel pressure regulator but is using the 99 manifold. He also sez he has a "modified fuel rail". My understanding is the difference between the early and late fuel pumps is the later ones are regulated in the tank. Do they make an adjustable for those (what a pain in the ass to adjust it though). Does someone modify the later fuel rails so the can have an adjustable FPR in the engine compartment? I wouldn't mind getting one of those manifolds if that were the case......And just how much of an improvement are they?
The manifold doesn't make any changes to the way you adjust fuel pressure. Its just a manifold. You hook the injectors and fuel rail on to that. He didn't change to the later fuel pump as that would require a new tank and other crap. He just modified his existing fuel rail to accept a regulator. Its in one of his pics, red thing. He still has the earlier style two line fuel system. Hesco and I think someone else makes an adjustable regulator for the fuel rail on the earlier systems. Hesco also sells an adjustable fuel regulator for the later system too, but its like $400
I understand changing the P/S bracket but am unclear if it requires a different pump.
Not sure about the difference between pumps. WJs and TJs had a spring loaded tensioner form the factory, IIRC but their routing is different. No one that I know of has made a spring loaded tensioner mod.
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by gonridnu »

What I was getting at is the manifold that came with my 96 motor employs a fuel rail that does not have a regulator built into it....in fact it appears to not even be a return style fuel system or 2 line system like the earlier HO and Renix engines used. I know my Renix fuel rail will not bolt on to the later manifold or early HO manifold as the mounting pads are completely different.

My early HO manifold has a fuel rail that employs both a regulator and return line as well but I am not sure if that fuel rail will bolt up to the 99 later manifold. If my early HO fuel rail will bolt to the 99 later manifold I am but a fuel line away from greater performance...If not I'm building a fuel rail with a regulator and I'm not sure I want to do that for a variety of reasons.

I'm really tempted to try this......
Exos
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by Exos »

Did you make sure you put the oil galley plug behind the cam sprocket...? Thas was MY rookie mistake!!
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by gonridnu »

Exos wrote:Did you make sure you put the oil galley plug behind the cam sprocket...? Thas was MY rookie mistake!!
Yes...LOL I learned a long time ago to put freeze plugs and galley plugs in before starting to assemble an engine. How did I learn...the hard way of course:) Nothing like a brand new engine with zero oil pressure at start up :frustrated:
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

gonridnu wrote: My early HO manifold has a fuel rail that employs both a regulator and return line as well but I am not sure if that fuel rail will bolt up to the 99 later manifold.
I believe it will.
lafrad
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by lafrad »

For the springs: Did you guys ever talk to your machine shop? usually they can find that spring and get them for MUCH cheaper than seen online... OR, they can cross reference the sizes and find something that may be able to work in place of what I used.
lafrad
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by lafrad »

gonridnu wrote:Silver U really got me thinking now....I read Lafrad's whole thread. Last time I just saw the price of the springs and decided I did not need to do it, but I have an idea which is always dangerous. He sez the Crower ovate springs are targeted at the ford 3V OHC crowd. Perhaps maybe the stock spring for that application can also be made to work on the 4.0 head for a bunch less money. Stock springs are usually way cheap from aftermarket suppliers. For example I paid like $2.34 ea. for my stock replacement 4.0 springs. I'll check the spring specs and prices when I get to the shop and report back. This might cost me a day or two if it works out:)

This is a great path to follow. They should be similar dimensions, just different "target cam/valve control characteristics". Unless you are above 6000 rpm for extended periods of time, i would expect ANY of those springs to do just fine on our applications. We really have nothing even "notable" when it comes to valvetrain.
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by gonridnu »

Well I caught the crud that's going around right now, I was gonna go to Pik n Pull and get some stuff but I could barely get out of bed this morning. I did however manage to buy a 99+ manifold with P/S bracket and bolts on on Ebay delivered for under $100.

I spoke with Jeff at Leigh Performance about one of his Throttle Bodys, adjustable FPR, and adjustable MAP sensors. He said he is running the 99 manifold on his 93 using the return style fuel rail I want to use. I'll send him my Throttle Body this week so by the time I get the engine in I should have the other stuff I need.

LaFrad, I could get a really good deal on the springs but even then they are still kinda pricey, you did a great job finding them though and I'm sure the guys with much bigger lift cams then mine are going to find that info invaluable. I'm really likin' the GM spring conversion that was discovered this weekend for us .450" lift guys.

I have to say U guys have been very helpful and these Jeep engines are hella fun to play with. I used to Drag Race VW's in my much younger and poorer days and I told my wife that messin' with this project reminds me of those times. The big race engine thing has become a cubic dollar game where it just depends on what parts you can afford as to how much power you can make and the engines have zero stock parts by the time you are done. These 4.0's are the opposite, with a little persaverence a guy could hoard up the required parts for not a lot of dough, of course you will always have to spend some money to do things right, but it has been an fun adventure....
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by gonridnu »

The pushrods showed up today so I was able to button it up and will bring it home tomorrow. The longblock is D-U-N done. :cheers:

It'll probably be a couple weeks before I post again, unless I need some help finding something, which is not unlikely. I have to collect some misc parts, do a wrecking yard day, wait for the throttle body to come back, bolt on motor mounts and stuff like that, and clean the engine compartment up. Probably gonna drop the tranny out and clean it up while I'm in there.

This has been fun and when I get done we'll post some more pics and run it on the chassis dyno. Sure I'll need some help with something before then so we'll catch ya'll later.....
Exos
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by Exos »

break a leg!!