Gradon's Stroker Project

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Gradon's Stroker Project

Post by dwg86 »

Do you know what the cam timing specs are at .050. I have two 30ab cams, but don't know timing specs. The Kieth Black DCR calculator ask for intake closing ABDC @.050 +15.
Flash
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Post by Flash »

dwg86 wrote:Do you know what the cam timing specs are at .050. I have two 30ab cams, but don't know timing specs. The Kieth Black DCR calculator ask for intake closing ABDC @.050 +15.
dwg86!
here's one that MacaveliMC been having fun with.
http://www.wallaceracing.com/dynamic-cr.php

If you want a little bit more sophisticated one, with a few more option, this one can be us as a down load to your computer(It free ;) )......I like it! You can enter standard spec into it and it will figure out IVC spec...... :!:
http://www.empirenet.com/pkelley2/DynamicCR.html
The down load is at the bottom of the page and look like this.
DCR Calculator with VB6 Runtime files 1.55 MB

DCR Calculator without VB6 Runtime files 423 KB

Flash
89 XJ with 300,000 on the original eng

"I've also never completed a motor, yet. My mouth (fingers) is also writing checks my ass can't cash."
Schazoom

Post by Schazoom »

Hey man, I think it's time for a trip to Lancaster for Corey and I to take a look at the beast!!! Next weekend would be great. I need your help to change the clutch in my YJ....I hope it won't suck, but it's making all kinds of noises when I try to drive it now. Gimme a call and let me know how everything is going! -D-
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by gradon »

Hey dwg the IVC for the 30ab is 56*. Schazoom--nice name--I have many days off the week of the 30th, so we can get that clutch in as long as Yueng and Mr. Retardo help us. Compare the Centerforce DF-2 w/ the cheap one that you were looking at. Also, go ahead and order me that eaau3090 filter. Now for the update on my stroker. I was a dummy and didn't tag my o2 harness good enough--it melted and broke one white heater wire and melted the gray wire. I drove a couple days w/o the heater wire and it would cut off at some stops until it was warmed up. Anyhow, those two wires touched and kept setting off the ASD relay. I fixed and zipped the harness safely away from the Borla(the reason this is even an issue is because borla put the bung on the rear instead of the front like oem). Anyhow then the XJ wouldn't start up. The CEL codes were high input voltages on TPS, IAT, CoolantTS, and battery sensor. I measured them all to be 5.12v--good as far as I can tell. Anyhow the jeep wouldn't start--there'd be 12v on the input of the coil and the moment you started it, it would drop to 0. So today I went to the JY and picked up a 98 auto xj ecu(the only other obd2 was a 96 zj--I shoulda grabbed that instead). Anyhow I came back home plugged in the ecu and she fired right up. I do note that the tach doesn't work and the aux fan stays on, but no cels. Of course I couldn't leave it alone and had to install the lt1 injectors I got this week($66 for 8 w/new filters and pressure tested). It's not running too well and so I'm going to reinstall the 23.2s until I get the correct 96 ecu. Anyhow the ecu cost $30 plus $10 in gas to get there, so I can deal with the no tach and constant fan for now.
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

Today I picked up the case of brad penn 10w30--$51--bought a m301 filter and 2 gallons of antifreeze for the flush(refilled alot with tap water). Did the second oil change--630 mi(the first was after the 20min cam break-in with brad penn's sae-30 break-in oil, used up til now) and cleaned some metal off the magnetic drain plug(glad I bought it). I also wanted to fix my exhaust leak and slight banging of downpipe to crossmember. As I was taking off the cat at the the dp to cat junction, I heard some debris in the cat--sure enough the honeycomb was toast, so there went $80 for 3 months of use(not sure about a warranty with me installing it and then punching it out). I knew it was running a little lean, but never to the point of pinging, and not enough to set a cel, but obviously enough to melt it. I shook out half of the honeycomb and my father punched out the rest. I then put it all back in and started her up--sounds wicked. The LT1s are still in there btw. I drive my brother out to the nearest highway where I can open it up. Night and Day difference. This is the performance I was expecting out of the stroker. There still are issues--whereas when I connected the 98 auto ecu on Saturday the aux fan stayed on, it now never turns on and the a/c compressor doesn't kick on either(I already checked connections, fuses, and swapped relays--aux&ac with starter&fuel). The tach doesn't work(needs tcu input, right?). I can get a 97 ax15 ecu--still a diff p/n from the 96, and the 98 for that matter--and it would probably work better than the 98 auto ecu(temp fix for $30). Once I get a good working pcm, I'll tweak the PSC1.
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

Last week I installed the 97 ecu and now I have the tach back, but still no a/c or aux fan. The GEN and CHECK ENG lights are faintly on. I don't know if it's a separate issue, so for now I attribute it to using the wrong year ecu(I'll get the right one eventually). Today I disco'd the coolant temp sensor(by the t-stat) so the aux fan will stay on continually(ecu does this for safe mode). I've been tired of putting the heat on in the city to keep the temps down with only the 2nd fan on(even though the temps don't get above 230*). I noticed how the factory mounted aux fan location cools the radiator faster than the opposite end where the 2nd fan is. I'm going to be driving up to Pittsburgh (300 mi) for the Vintage Grand Prix in 2 weeks and have to make sure she is ready for her first road trip.
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

It's been a while. The engine has 4200 miles at the moment. Last week I did the 3rd oil change @3600 miles. There was a little metal on the magnetic drain plug--about the same amount as the change at 600 miles. I went up to Lancaster this weekend and swapped out the K&N and installed the Amsoil eaau3090 filter. Today I isolated the intake with a $5 windshield reflector/shade. I also put in a new fuel filter(the other one only had a year on it, but I wanted a fresh one for the fresh motor). I made an offer($359) on the Innovate LM-2 and it was accepted so I'll be able to start tuning the psc1 in the near future.
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

So today I wake up and find a DHL package waiting for me. Can't beat free overnight shipping!
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

Today I started programming the psc1-002 with the help of the lm-2 wideband/datalogger and my brother Nick. The PCM does its best to keep the 14.7:1 AFR while it is in closed loop--you can't change that(short of reflashing the ecu) so you have to work with it. The PCM adjusts the fuel trims to keep that 14.7. Starting out at idle my short term(STFT) was at 30-33%(PCM was adding 30-33% more fuel to keep the 14.7#). I increased the voltage until the STFT was between -4to2%. Repeated this across the rpms while in neutral w/ no load. Then we filled the grid with numbers that were at least as high as the ones for idle. Open up the logworks 3 software, pull off, and now we're logging AFRs, RPMs, STFT, Openloop indicator, Throttle Position, and MAP(can log all info from the OBD2 connection, but the more you log, the slower the refresh rate is). The PSC1-002 has a max value of 25.5--we had to set it to 24.7 to achieve the magic 12.5:1 AFR @ WOT, so it's basically on the edge of being able to tune the 25.5# LT1s. Anyhow it's gonna take some more hours to log, review, and tweak, but I'll get there. Once I feel that it's right, I'll get some dyno, et, and mpg #s for yall.
fishyjeep
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L

Post by fishyjeep »

:cheers:
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997

Post by seanyb505 »

How does it run after tuning it?
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

My stroker was running excellent w/ the stock map and the LT1s(sucked with the 23.2#--not enough oomph)--90% of yall would be completely satisfied(smooth power and 16-19mpgs). I felt it was running rich at idle and maybe not getting the 12.5:1 @WOT. Right now it's probably 2/3 tuned. I feel that it's gonna take a few more hours to dial it in. One thing I have to monitor is the points that the pcm goes into open loop(what %tp, what%load, rpms, etc). At those points, I have to blend the 14.7AFR from the closed loop to the 12.5AFR of the WOT. Another thing is the deceleration map--like when the engine is @3Krpms and you put it in neutral--you have to give it a little bump in richness to keep it from dropping to 500rpm. I also noted that the cold start open loop idle uses the same pressure/rpm cell as the closed loop warmed up idle, so I have to richen up that cell(was fine for warmed up but was lean for the cold start--16:1AFR) so once changed the STFT will end up pulling fuel out for the warmed-up idle(probably -10-15%). I still have some logs I have to go over and interpret and will be comparing the stock and 26# maps(included w/ the psc) to help me blend mine.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

gradon wrote: I felt it was running rich at idle
How so if the PCm was keeping 14.7?
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

I don't think it was pulling out fuel to the point of jumping into open loop, but it could've been overly rich in warm-up(OL) and once in closed loop, was pulling out 30% fuel(pcm takes a sec to recognize a rich condition and then pull out fuel until it swings to the lean side of the stock o2 sensor)--The more you can diminish that swing, the less the PCM has to work to keep the magic 14.7.
Issue: As I was monitoring the tp% I noticed that it varied b/t 8% at idle and 77% at WOT--this is should be closer to 100%, right? I took it off the tb and used a screwdriver and it varied from 0-91%. I tried a spare used tps and it was reading 6-72% installed(2 bad sensors?). I didn't get around to backprobing the sensor, but if the voltage was low coming in wouldn't there also be low voltage coming out and the pcm thinks it's 77% instead of 100? I already verified that the throttle linkage is good and the throttle plate vertical when the pedal is floored. I hope it's not another conflict with me using a 97pcm(temp fix) on a 96(the a/c is already a victim)--I haven't been to the JY in a while to see if there is a 96 MT pcm available.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

If the input voltage to the sensor isn't what it should be, yes that can cause an issue with the output voltage. However, where are you getting the % value from? Directly from an OBD II data logger/ scanner, or from an external data logger? A lot of the time the software needs some tweaking or be aut ranging to obtain the correct %. Also, try resetting the PCM and see if that changes.

-Chris