Gradon's Stroker Project

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Gradon's Stroker Project

Post by gradon »

I was getting the tp% directly from the obd2 scanner. I'm not sure if my dad's scanner does tp%, but I'll try using his to see if there is a discrepancy.
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997

Post by seanyb505 »

Any progress on the tuning? Have you noticed any changes in gas mileage?
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

I get better mileage now that I replaced a bad o-ring and gas isn't puddling on the manifold . I get 16mpg city and 18-19 highway. I'm running off the stock map at the moment and I don't have the Jet2 plugged in(trying to see if I will notice it when I plug it back). I finally got a replacement 96 pcm(I had ran a 98 auto and a 97 ax15 pcm). My brother that helped me tune the psc1 will be back with his laptop in a month and then we'll get it dialed in(my laptop sucks). I've got a little over 7K on the motor now. I picked up a case of the brad penn for $28.22(gave it to me for that misquoted price, as it was supposed to be $46, lol) and did the 5th oil change. Valvetrain noise has gotten a little louder, so I'm gonna take off the valve cover and inspect/retorque the rockers(and replace that cork for the nice rubber gasket). My other brother and his friends autocross and after the meet the other day my jeep was hanging with a high 13 sec turbo'd tsx, so she made me proud(hung with a mild-modded non-sti wrx as well). What else. . , anyone have a tire get punctured at 70mph? That was interesting, but now I have to find a replacement for the discontinued Yoko. These Jeeps always have issues and you've gotta stay on top of them, but that's part of the fun of owning one and keeping it alive.
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

I should've been keeping all the little mods/tweaks/issues documented, but guess I've been lazy. Today I removed the blown out borla muffler w/ its 2" tailpipe and installed a ss magnaflow 2 1/2" muffler and a ss mandrel bent tail-pipe. It sounds deeper, but less mean, than the borla, and the engine doesn't feel as choked as it did(doesn't jake-brake as much off-throttle). I no longer have the psc1-002 installed but do have a Unichip installed that'll need a custom tune. I want to replace cork valve cover gasket with rubber one, look at the rockers/pushrods and double check rocker bolt torques. I need to splice in a jy coil input plug because the clip on mine broke and is currently ziptied(the reason the borla blew in the 1st place was the coil missing a signal or two and then igniting the unspent fuel. . .). What else--replaced a leaky pinion seal a few weeks ago and when I put the nut back on, I went 1/20-1/16th of a turn past the original position and now the bearing is whining, so guess I'll be yanking the axle in the near future(might be tempted to throw in 4.10s while I'm there). I haven't calculated the total miles put on her to date, but its at least 15K and running strong. Oh yeah, had rt front tire blow out at 80 on Monday--it was a used replacement 255/60/15 cause Yokohama stopped making that size(figures). It worked well for 8-months and then about 2 weeks ago it must've developed an internal separation and was acting like an unbalanced wheel. The ripped tread knocked the back half of the fender flare loose--amazingly I was able to loosen the nut strip w/o snapping one(some of you old heads know what I'm talking about--it's kinda like the rear upper shock bolts. . :)and remounting it.
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

Here's some of the pics that used to be on page 3:
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

Today I swapped out the rc9s for the rc12s, drove around the block and noted the same 2.5K-3K pinging. I swapped out the LT1s for the Blue tops and I marked the injector harnesses with a sharpie as to not get them mixed up(#1&2 and 5&6 can get mixed up easily). I had the idea to double check the harness numbers with the fsm's wiring diagram and wouldn't you know it, I had been running with 6 on 5 and 5 on 6 for a long time(It didn't ping when I first built it, but I've removed the rail and manifold at least 2xs within the time it's been built, so somewhere along the line I put them back on wrong). Take it for a spin and sure enough, no more ping. Can you say bonehead? Sometime next week, I'll get the adjustable control arms and track bar from Ironman4x4fab installed("it'll turn like it's on rails").
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

LOL. Easy mistake. I find that if you just let the plugs lay where they like they will line up with the correct injectors. I hope you didn't do any damage to your piston running one or two cylinders lean.

I already had a JKS track bar and RE lower control arms, but when I installed Iron Rock's upper control arms and tie rod it made a serious difference in steering feel.
seanyb505
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 280ci
Vehicle Year: 1997

Post by seanyb505 »

I just read over on NAXJA that some ZJ years' steering boxes are bolt-on, and give a sportier feel. Might be worth looking into
Now I can be like all those other awesome people with more than one Jeep in their sig, but now I have to say one of them is sold:(
97 XJ 4.6
90 MJ 4.0 - sold

I want to have as many Jeeps as children. DD, offroader, drag MJ and another one. 4=4
lafrad
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by lafrad »

Just a quick question:

Is that enough belt wrap on the alternator to pull lots of current?

I would love to do that... get rid of that nasty pulley in the middle....
4.whoa
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: xj&mj

Post by 4.whoa »

I was wondering the same thing, Also on the balancer. Do you need to run the belt tighter so it doesn't slip under hard acceleration :?:
-Russ

4wd is fun, but 2wd is a BLAST
fishyjeep
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L

Post by fishyjeep »

When i eliminated my clutch fan I replaced the double ended studs with regular bolts to keep the fan pulley on and used the stock belt routing.
kkchevy3
I think I'll order a "tab"
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by kkchevy3 »

i had the belt routed that way awhile back and had problems with not enough wrap on the alternator. Added the extra idler pulley and no more squeak. but now with everything on i drop down to 12ish volts lol. time for the 136 amp swap.
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

No problems with the stock 90 amp(?) alternator w/ that ~1/6th wrap and it's been over two years(some day I'll upgrade to the 136a). I pounded out the mech fan pulley shaft. The belt I'm running is 2045mm long. Two stock e-fans are more than sufficient to cool the engine(one even does it 95% of the time).
Bodo
Donator
Donator

Post by Bodo »

Do you have the fans wired as from the factory? Or have you done any mods to get them to run more often?

Really intrigued by that.
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

The stock location e-fan is on the factory wiring with the exception that I can switch it on anytime with a switch that sends a ground to the e-fan relay(pcm doesn't like this and will give a 1491 code every now-and-then--supposedly a relay can be added to shield the pcm). This fan is more effective at cooling the temps than the e-fan at the mech fan's old location. The 2nd e-fan runs off an adjustable temp switch that can be bought at Advance Auto for $17-20. This has constant power, so it kicks on and off after I drive until the temps get down. Sometime in the future I'll upgrade the mains to 2awg , and wire both fans together with 10awg with the new relay.