Gradon's Stroker Project

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
SIXPAK
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 280

Re: Gradon's Stroker Project

Post by SIXPAK »

Does your cam bolt washer cover the oil hole in the gear? Hope not. We allways groung a small slot in the gear to let the oil escape to the chain.
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by gradon »

hmm--I dunno man. What I do know or think I know is that the stock timing set was wearing since day one, as evidenced by metal particles on drain plug at every change. I posted the pick of the new Rollmaster timing set in the general section. I do recall a tapered hole.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

My JP timing set (probably the same as the roll master) has that beveled hole as well. The washer lets just a bit of the hole show through.
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

They are the same--both from Australia. Mine does have "Rollmaster" stamped on the cam gear. What does the JP say? Didn't even think to question the washer blocking oil flow. This next engine build with my brother should go better since we aren't in a rush like we were the weekend he had off from active duty. Once my XJ is confirmed stable, we'll yank the engine, tranny, and cooling system out of the 88 eliminator, put them in his 89 MJ shell, sell the 89, and build the 88.
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

Did a warm compression test today(after a <10min idle). Results(1-6): 132, 140, 155, 135, 132, 145. Variances could partially be due to how far the tester threaded into each cylinder and if I gave a cylinder an extra crank rotation or not, but I'm satisfied with the numbers.
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

So back in November, I was on the highway redlining in 3rd gear racing a Benz suv and I heard a clunk. . . I thought I might have hit some debris, but looked at the dash and saw the GEN light. I knew that I had lost the belt, so limped another 3 minutes to the new DC Costco lot. The temp was redlined at shutdown. Here's what I found: Image
Missing is the 4-month old damper I picked up from Advanced when the original 18/yo damper separated in the summer. The snout threads were partially stripped, so I bought a longer crank bolt and added washers to prevent it from bottoming out. I suppose due to that snap that it did bottom out and the redline gave it the force to snap off. Image Luckily I had a spare 4-weight crank that's been sitting in Nick's shed for a couple years. Oh what fun it is to replace a crank with the engine in the vehicle. The Centerforce DF2 clutch that I bought many years ago pre-stroker(I see the pressure plate is stamped LUK) still has plenty of life on it(I highly recommend it, though I have read of PP weight failures some had). Nothing much has changed on the Jeep, except I do have off-set upper balljoints for ~-2.5* of camber, Flex-form composite leaf-springs, and custom adjustable rear shackles. I am also running a Banks cat-back. In the immediate future, I'll swap in the newer 97-01 plastic gas tank, the 68mm WJ TB with the CAD adapter, and the NOS Clifford header with 2.5" collector(might chop and make 3" and have MBS fab a 3" down/s-pipe that necks down to 2.5" at the Banks). After TB and exhaust are sorted, I'll drive the Jeep down to Roanoke and have the stock PCM dynotuned by a shop that specializes in re-coding the JTEC PCMs. No more piggy-backs for me. Also down the line, I'll section out the front axle, get 300-400#/in front springs, use ACOS to tweak, and some custom shocks all the way around. The Jeep will be auto-xing at Fed-Ex this year(big Redskins lot), so she's gotta shine. . .
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

gradon wrote: I'll drive the Jeep down to Roanoke and have the stock PCM dynotuned by a shop that specializes in re-coding the JTEC PCMs.
Wait.. what? There is a shop in Roanoke that works on JTECs?
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

My bad--Martinsville, VA, not Roanoke(though both are way down there for me). B&G Performance. They'd do a nice tune for your 5.9 Limited too. They have tuned some of the fastest SRT-8s on the east coast.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

When I contacted them several years back they said they didn't do tuning for my 2000. It is a shame that I never checked again as they are less than two hours from me. It would have been nice to be able to throw it on a dyno and do a tune. Edit: I just saw the pricing for a custom on site tune, $750-$1200. Ouch.

Give me a heads us when you are coming down. Perhaps we could meet up.
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Nice
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Very cool 2 wheelin pic.

Would be very interested in looking at build thread on your suspension mods if you've done any kind of a write up.