SCCA Turbo 5.0L MJ (Comanche Eliminator Project)

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
TurboTom
I made it to triple digits!

Re: SCCA Turbo 5.0L MJ (Comanche Eliminator Project)

Post by TurboTom »

Six pak , A car has a roof and doors and......A trunk or hatch ( better throw that in!) :mrgreen: :stick:

I would rather break in an engine in a well lit room with more than one set of eyes watching for problems and the guages.
Why put the engine in, make the truck street legal, try to make a map on the street, then throw all that time away?
Nick is shooting for 600 HP, he's going to be on an engine dyno for 2 days to do that.
What is 1 hour of break in time? And I can control the load on the engine much better on the dyno.

I bet the wastegate that is in that turbo will still over boost, as it can only bypass so much exhaust pressure/volume due to it's small orifice size.

Nick has a big build in front of him. I'm just try to pass on what I have learned to save him time and money.
Remember, Sometimes I post after drinking!
1979 AMC Spirit
Building a Turbo 2.5
I am not very smart!
the_wrench116
Donator
Donator

Post by the_wrench116 »

you can lead a horse to water ..... :deadhorse:
92 XJ 4D custom borla header 3" exhaust flowmaster 50series muffler.

ATK on the way then an OBD 2 swap so flyin ryan can tune.
Plechtan
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 5.0L 4x4
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by Plechtan »

Turbo Tom Wrote:
I have the quickest AMC 6 cylinder car in the country
Why don't you just say vehicle instead of car? Or just say "turbocharged AMC 6 Cylinder"
Peter Lechtanski
The worlds Fastest Comanche Prroject
walka

Post by walka »

TurboTom wrote:Six pak , A car has a roof and doors and......A trunk or hatch ( better throw that in!) :mrgreen: :stick:

I would rather break in an engine in a well lit room with more than one set of eyes watching for problems and the guages.
Why put the engine in, make the truck street legal, try to make a map on the street, then throw all that time away?
Nick is shooting for 600 HP, he's going to be on an engine dyno for 2 days to do that.
What is 1 hour of break in time? And I can control the load on the engine much better on the dyno.

I bet the wastegate that is in that turbo will still over boost, as it can only bypass so much exhaust pressure/volume due to it's small orifice size.

Nick has a big build in front of him. I'm just try to pass on what I have learned to save him time and money.

you have a good point, but knowing nick that truck is "street legal" sitting where it is without an engine right now (darn you military benefits!) lol If he already has the system (renix), dont you think its a pretty good idea to make sure the engine is doing good before doing major tuning and trying to get major power out of it? Esp since he can do before and after comparisons. He is also going to be spending a lot of time putting together that megasquirt system along with collecting all the parts and doing welds to get the turbo system together. In the mean time the truck could be drivable. So he does have a lot of time to do that.
TurboTom

Post by TurboTom »

walka wrote:
TurboTom wrote:Six pak , A car has a roof and doors and......A trunk or hatch ( better throw that in!) :mrgreen: :stick:

you have a good point, but knowing nick that truck is "street legal" sitting where it is without an engine right now (darn you military benefits!) lol If he already has the system (renix), dont you think its a pretty good idea to make sure the engine is doing good before doing major tuning and trying to get major power out of it? Esp since he can do before and after comparisons. He is also going to be spending a lot of time putting together that megasquirt system along with collecting all the parts and doing welds to get the turbo system together. In the mean time the truck could be drivable. So he does have a lot of time to do that.

Nick will have $7000 to $10,000 in the engine if he builds it to his specs.
There is no way I would try to tune it on the street with the stock system. He will also need 2 different sets of injectors IMO.
I have been involved with building 100's of road race BMW 6 cylinders. We broke them in, mapped them and power ran them all on the dyno.
That's just the way it is done.

Nick:
We have an engine dyno near Winchester VA with all the parts to run an AMC 6, if you decide to go this route.
Once again, good luck on your build...I like it
1979 AMC Spirit
Building a Turbo 2.5
I am not very smart!
nick
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1990

Post by nick »

TurboTom wrote: Nick will have $7000 to $10,000 in the engine if he builds it to his specs.
Negative on that price! I rather throw 10k on my NSX! The cost of the engine will be $4,000 The only variable right now is the billet offset crank which is somewhere in the neighborhood of $1,000.
TurboTom wrote:There is no way I would try to tune it on the street with the stock system. He will also need 2 different sets of injectors IMO. I have been involved with building 100's of road race BMW 6 cylinders. We broke them in, mapped them and power ran them all on the dyno. That's just the way it is done.
Noted. FYI, I am not staying on the Renix system. I am just using it to make sure all is well with the new build before I rip it out.
It's not going to be driven on the Renix system, only broken in. Additionally it will be my first Megasquirt build so I want to make sure I have the engine in order before I add another variable to the equation. It will be dyno tuned.
TurboTom wrote:We have an engine dyno near Winchester VA with all the parts to run an AMC 6, if you decide to go this route. Once again, good luck on your build...I like it
I might take you up on that offer and also to see the "quickest AMC 6 cylinder car in the country".

I will receive the following Parts in 2 weeks:
285* 544 lift roller cam, springs, Ferrea ceramic coated valves, roller lifters, push rods, timing gear set, 34cc ceramic coated slugs and nitrated Eagle rods.

The Head is nearly complete. Gradon just needs to use the scotch pads to smooth out the bowls and and combustion chamber. Upon completion we will measure the cc of the combustion chamber. We should be in the neighborhood of 64cc.

A little off topic, but I have been working a lot on my NSX. I ripped out the passenger air bag and relocated my electronic power steering computer. I will also be ripping out the sensors and the driver side air bag and steering wheel when I get my NRG hub and Momo wheel.
TurboTom

Post by TurboTom »

The head is looking good, Man I hate porting iron heads.
I was figuring $3-4000 on a one off billet 6 cly. crank. Please tell us who is making it for around a grand. Some others may be interested at that price!
Are you using the rods with the .912 small end?
What brand pistons?
I need more info....I dig this stuff!
1979 AMC Spirit
Building a Turbo 2.5
I am not very smart!
the_wrench116
Donator
Donator

Post by the_wrench116 »

hijack

its not an nsx but i too have a honda. 98 civic coupe with a jdm h22 swap. take some pick and send them too me when your done. ill do the same. :D

end hijack

hey about that crank i too would love to know who would make one that cheap. :cheers:
92 XJ 4D custom borla header 3" exhaust flowmaster 50series muffler.

ATK on the way then an OBD 2 swap so flyin ryan can tune.
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by gradon »

I agree we'll have to use two different sets of injectors. We'll get a set of the blue tops for the break-in(might have to see what 27#ers vs 25.5# do in mine after--I did max out the psc1 when wot in 5th trying to get 12.8, so I could use a lil more injector) and then switch to 50#s for the turbo(big difference, huh~320hpvs600hp). It would be nice to get a dyno of the 5.0 w/o turbo just to see what the roller cam adds to the picture.
nick
Donator
Donator

Post by nick »

The billet crank is still in dev stages. I can't release anymore info than that. I can say that it will still be another 3-4 months before it hits the street. That's why I said the crank is the variable right now. I may just get the 4.2 12 CW crank offset ground if I decide not to wait. I want to have this truck complete and ready to race by Feb 2010.

I will keep everyone posted on the billet crank as I am going to be the point of contact and setting up the group buy for it. On that note It there will be a deposit. The two options will be the std 4.2 and an offset crank.
TurboTom

Post by TurboTom »

I bet it's $3-4000, If you get it for that....with 10 buyers.
There is no real market for a billet crank for the AMC Six. Only a few of us Orfan bas"""""ds want to push the limits.
LOL!!

Who is doing the cam?
1979 AMC Spirit
Building a Turbo 2.5
I am not very smart!
nick
Donator
Donator

Post by nick »

TurboTom wrote:I bet it's $3-4000, If you get it for that....with 10 buyers.
Again negative on that price. :deadhorse: This will be affordable and I am more than confident that 30+ will be sold (between all the AMC/Jeep forums) off the bat. And to clarify, the price is not reflective of GB pricing or how many purchase. IT will just be a low price for all to enjoy.
TurboTom wrote:There is no real market for a billet crank for the AMC Six. Only a few of us Orfan bas"""""ds want to push the limits.
LOL!!
I'd say that with the number of Strokers still increasing and a low price point, the billet crank will become more popular. That is IF it stays in the affordable projected price range.
TurboTom wrote:Who is doing the cam?
505 is doing my cam.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

Are you going with 505's roller cam setup?
nick
Donator
Donator

Post by nick »

SilverXJ wrote:Are you going with 505's roller cam setup?
Customized version of it yes. Zack is good people. PM me if you want more info.
SIXPAK
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 280

Post by SIXPAK »

On the 505 deal, If they live it would be a great option for IT'S intended use. BUT, don't tell me I can only run a limited amount of spring pressure on it and try to make a lot of power. I just can't see an agressive power making profile using a limited amount of spring pressure.