SCCA Turbo 5.0L MJ (Comanche Eliminator Project)

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: SCCA Turbo 5.0L MJ (Comanche Eliminator Project)

Post by gradon »

Stroke is 4.060". I didn't see a sheet in the box to give you the journal specs, so my brother must have it, since he opened it yesterday. I do know he didn't get sent the bearings. We need to buy a good caliper to measure the journals and deck height.
Edit: no spec sheet included. The weights were shaved like that for piston clearance.
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by dwg86 »

How long are the rods? I was looking at offset grinding a 258 crank to a 4.000 inch stroke and use a 6.0 inch chevy 6 cylinder rod with a 2.000 crank pin. I wonder if I would have to have the crank cut to clear pistons.... :huh:
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

I told Nick to ask for the Ross's to have a 1.265" pin height, so that with the 4.060" stroke and 6.150's Eagles, the clearance would be ~.007" before machining. We took out the Ross spec sheet the other day and saw that the pin height was 1.285"(oh no, .013" out the hole!), so I told Nick he better have a chat with Zach. I found out today that we have custom 6.125" Eagles, so we're .012" in the hole before machining. We still have to do our homework on how much we want it out of the hole(apparently helps the HG when we add the boost).
scalper
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7l
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

Post by scalper »

Nck, kudos on the 505 roller cam. been running one for a year and has been great.Plenty of tourque, power all the way to 5300 on my mild grind fuel mileage even increased and knocked off 4 tenths off my time compared to the comp68. dont get on here much so realy dont have time to argue with haters.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

How do you think it compares with the Comp? I'm assuming you were running the 68-231-4?
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

So I almost have the 96 block stripped--have to return the axle puller and get one that'll work for the balancer(steering wheel puller?). If not today, then tomorrow the machinist will have the block. I have to put another couple hours finishing up the head and will drop that off next week. I'll post pics of the holy #6 piston when I get home. Can't wait to get all these nice parts in one engine and seeing Peter's #'s is making me antsy!
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by SilverXJ »

Autozone and Advance both rent and installer/puller kit. Sears also sells one.
-XJguy-
Vehicle Year: 8692

Post by -XJguy- »

Eliminator with full Eliminator kit as was once available from the dealer. Very rare.
comanchee801.jpg

BTW if you contact the Archers, as I did a few years ago, they still had the molds to make the set. Erebuni in NY, was making reproductions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

I have the Archer's number and plan to discuss suspension set-ups with them. I'd be interested in the front lip and a roll-pan(maybe one for a dakota would work), and I'm sure Nick would as well.
Plechtan
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 5.0L 4x4
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by Plechtan »

looks like you can still get the side skirts http://www.groundeffects.com/ge/jecomanchee.htm Didn't see the bumper
Peter Lechtanski
The worlds Fastest Comanche Prroject
nick
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by nick »

So it's time to dust off this project and get it moving again. The machinist FINALLY finished the block after letting it sit in his shop since May. That did however, allow me sufficient time to get married and settle down in my house. Gradon will finish shaving the hot spots on the head and take it to get 3-angle valve job and minimal shave.

I expect the engine to be complete by mid January, but I have a wife now, so money for this project is harder to come by. One good thing is I have all the engine stuff already. There are still several things that need to happen in order to get the Eliminator on the road... We decided to use the Renix computer for now and use the high altitude CPS and a bored Renix throttle body so an adapter plate will need to be fabbed. We also need a Renix knock sensor.
YJason
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by YJason »

SilverXJ wrote:IIRC someone on here had a single roller's crank sprocket fail.

That was me, Cloyes single roller timing set and it sheared all the teeth of the crank gear. The gears were made from sintered metal. The Cloyes engineer I talked to claims that there single roller chains are not designed for an engine with a performance cam and valvetrain. Theres no way I'd run a single roller timing set, not after the hassle I went thru.
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

My stroker ate up the stock style single timing set, so needless to say, we won't be putting one of those in this build.
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

Some pics of the MJ pre-16" silver-star w/ 225/50/16 Advan Neovas:
gradon
Donator
Donator

Post by gradon »

So Nick and I got some of the bottom end together. We bolted in the crank and it spun easily. Dropped the pistons in and bolted on the rods(Eagles are nice pieces)--now it doesn't wanna spin(rings draggin). Nick had fun taking some material off the H-bars to get them to slide on the lifters and some material off the wall above and between the lifter bores so that the bars wouldn't touch it. He got those and the cam in. He's using a standard style timing chain that Zach sent with the cam(I don't like em for strokers after my experience). I bought the .040" MLS HG a while ago, but Nick still needs all the other gaskets and the HV oilpump. Pics to come.