DWG'S Stroker

Project vehicle blogs or "mod diary" specific threads only.. Pics encouraged!!
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: DWG'S Stroker

Post by dwg86 »

I drove the jeep to work yesterday. When I got home, I noticed that it wasn't running as smooth as it was earlier. So I removed #6 plug again. It was carboned up but not as bad as before. So I changed #6 I removed the PVC hose and plugged the fitting in the intake for now. The pvc hose was wet with oil. When I ran the engine and reved it up, oil was splashing through the little hole I drilled.

So now back to square one...Either buy a different valve cover(aluminum maybe?), buy a hesco spacer, or remove the valve cover that is on there and install a different baffle.

Oh BTW, if anyone is running a coil pack setup, it needs to be grounded. After I replaced #6 spark plug, I started the engine and it ran like crap until I installed the brackets that hold it on. The coil pack grounds through the attach bolts.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SilverXJ »

You could weld two valve covers together like you said, or but one from the guy on Naxja. Or do the Hesco valve cover spacer... but... you need the t-stat spacer as well and the modified t-stat housing if you have a belt that runs in front of the t-stat housing. I might be willing to part with my spacer.

On the coil, which bolt holes on did you ground? I have heard from hesco that it needed to be grounded, but the few times I ran mine ungrounded it never had issues. Only issues i had with it were because the boots weren't seated on the plugs.
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

All four bolts are grounded though the aluminum attach straps that I made to hold the coil rail on. It ran like crap until I bolted the straps back on. I used a flange nut on the bottom of the coil rail. The nut has serations on it that grab the coil rail, so you don't need a wrench to hold it. The staps go onto studed bolts that hold the valve cover on.

Do you have a link to valve cover on Naxja?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

His name is XJTattoo http://www.naxja.org/forum/member.php?u=16756 I have a pic that I can post up later of mine. Here is his thread: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.p ... alve+cover
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

WOW, that's a lot of work. I am not a member of Naxja, so I don't know how to get in touch with him. How much do they cost?
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

Mine was $100. I sent him a PM requesting his email addy.. we don't need you TJ types on Naxja anyhow...
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

LLS(the new lmao).
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

SilverXJ wrote:Mine was $100. I sent him a PM requesting his email addy.. we don't need you TJ types on Naxja anyhow...
Thaks Silver, 100.00 Sounds reasonable.
SilverXJ
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by SilverXJ »

His email is [email protected]. I'll put it up here instead of PM in case anyone else is looking for it.
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

Thanks Silver, I'll shoot him an email. I have a temp fix until I get a new valve cover. I got a sealed, push in breather(no vent holes in the bottom). Cut a hole in the top for a grommet, and installed the PCV valve in the breather. I also mover the PCV valve to the front of the valve cover. So far so good.

I need to check my gas milage, but so far I know I am getting as good, or better than the stock 4.0. Maybe because I don't have to push the skinny pedal down as far to make the Jeep go.

Anyone building a stroker, I would recommend getting it balanced. My stroker runs soooo smooth. In my opinion, balancing an engine is worth the extra $$.
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

I went 230 miles on 12.5 gallons. That equals 18.4 MPG. That is the same as my stock 4.0.
ilber
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: YJ HO

Post by ilber »

dwg86 wrote:Thanks Silver, I'll shoot him an email. I have a temp fix until I get a new valve cover. I got a sealed, push in breather(no vent holes in the bottom). Cut a hole in the top for a grommet, and installed the PCV valve in the breather. I also mover the PCV valve to the front of the valve cover. So far so good.

I need to check my gas milage, but so far I know I am getting as good, or better than the stock 4.0. Maybe because I don't have to push the skinny pedal down as far to make the Jeep go.

Anyone building a stroker, I would recommend getting it balanced. My stroker runs soooo smooth. In my opinion, balancing an engine is worth the extra $$.
well i need one as well. $100. has the guy responded to you? i had no communications with him :( but i want his product/info
dwg86
Donator
Donator

Post by dwg86 »

I haven't contacted him yet. Since I had most of the larger diameter Mopar Performance valve springs hitting my valve cover, I had to lightly massage my valve cover for clearance. So before I have to hammer a new valve cover, I am going to try making a different baffle, or try a Moroso PCV breather grommet with a baffle. I used one before and they work good. I just don't know if hole in the jeep 4.0 valve cover is too big for the grommet. Moroso part number 68775.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Prod ... al-Baffles
gradon
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6/280ci
Vehicle Year: 1996

Post by gradon »

I finally got around to installing the rubber vc gasket a couple weeks ago and found that two springs or retainers were rubbing as well-this was with a cast 94 vc. I swapped to the thinner 96 stamped vc and "hope" it's no longer an issue. The rockers were still torqued to spec.
ilber
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: YJ HO

Post by ilber »

I recall NAPA used to sell the same baffle, so might worth to stop buy and check with an old timers.
I am not "massaging" anything :) I know i need spacers from hesco for VC and T-stat or a valve cover ( either option ~$100). I would consider sprinkling for an aluminum vc if i could find one....I though $100 solution was quick and easy, with my luck i am failing on the "quick" part oh well i got time :)
ilber