4.0L in a 69 American

AMX's, Gremlins, Pacers, Ramblers, Eagles etc.
Wrambler
Learning to use the board
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

4.0L in a 69 American

Post by Wrambler »

Thought I'd grab the first post!
My car is a 1969 AMC Rambler.
Engine is a 1995 4.0l with a mild ported head, 1987 4.0L cam.
The shortblock was a warranty pull from a Jeep dealer because the engine was noisy. The shortblock had 8,000 miles on it when Chrysler decided they did not want it returned and it was given to me! I did nothing to it but clean it up, install the cam and head and run it. First generation was holley 390cfm four barrel on a clifford intake and an AMC T4 trans. Second generation got a complete 91 Wrangler fuel injection system and a swap to a T5.
All of this stuff bolts in pretty easily with a little enginuity. :] Runs great.
I have been around for awhile, I got messed up on a bicycle ride 18 months ago, broke my neck/back/my right collarbone. as Of right now I'm recoverying from partial shoulder replacement surgery and waiting.

Anu questions,
Just ask,
Mark
Morgantown, WV
Comanche91
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: JeeP
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Re: 4.0L in a 69 American

Post by Comanche91 »

Wrambler wrote:Thought I'd grab the first post!
The shortblock was a warranty pull from a Jeep dealer because the engine was noisy. The shortblock had 8,000 miles on it when Chrysler decided they did not want it returned and it was given to me! I did nothing to it but clean it up, install the cam and head and run it. First generation was holley 390cfm four barrel on a clifford intake and an AMC T4 trans. Second generation got a complete 91 Wrangler fuel injection system and a swap to a T5.
All of this stuff bolts in pretty easily with a little enginuity. :] Runs great.
I have been around for awhile, I got messed up on a bicycle ride 18 months ago, broke my neck/back/my right collarbone. as Of right now I'm recoverying from partial shoulder replacement surgery and waiting.

Anu questions,
Just ask,
Mark
Morgantown, WV
And it is a gorgeous 69. Mark, can ya post up a pic for all to see? Don
91 Comanche LWB, AW4, Hesco 4.6L, D44 Trac-lok, CHROME freak, ROLL TIDE
Jeep-Power
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.3
Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Make: AMC/Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ-7

Post by Jeep-Power »

I'm with Don-- we have been hearing about each others' rides for sooo long-- it will be great to have permanent pics of them!
Shark
Consistent
Consistent

Post by Shark »

lets see some pics!
'91 MJ 4.0 ax15 Resto-mod street truck project, stroker candidate
'93 XJ 2door 4.0 aw4 np231 7" lift 33's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 2" 31's
'95 XJ 4door 4.0 aw4 np231 4" lift 31's RIP
H.M.X
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L

Post by H.M.X »

another vote for pics!
Wrambler

Post by Wrambler »

H.M.X wrote:another vote for pics!
This'll show how good at this stuff I am, but I've forgotten how to post pics!
I have some up on Photobucket under Wrambler_242 can someone either link a couple or tell me how to go about it?
I'm not real good at surfing forums, so it may take me some time to get to it.
If someone links them for me, one of the engine shots is resized to 400-600 and proly a better choice.
I hope to get some real pics done of the car when the weather breaks as I bought my wife a 10mp Olympus with lenses etc; for her birthday! :D
Mark
1969 AMC Rambler, 4.0L,H.O efi, T5
1997 XJ Sport, 4.0L, AX15
2004 WJ 4.7L,V8, Airraid Jr, Dynomax ultraflo, addco rear sway.
1965 Ambassador Convertible, rustbucket, Resident Evil, can't get it done, can't kill it...
Wrambler

Post by Wrambler »

So. I'm going to post some other stuff too.
Putting a 4.0L in a 69 huh?
Easy right? Well not exactly a true bolt in. Close thought.
You need a 4.0L to start, er, stroker is better, after all this is the strokers list! :D
Also need a trans! Don't try to bolt up the 4.0L to a 64-71 six trans, BZZZZZZ, wrong answer. 72 up trans, or, any second Gen V8 bellhousing, 67 up AMC V8.
My choice, was an actual amc T5 from an 83 AMC spirit. You can use the matching flywheel. You can use a 4.0L flywheel too! just match the starter to the flywheel. The ring is placed different on the 4.2L compared to the 4.0L. YOu can space a 4.2L starter to work with a 4.0L, but nit the reverse. Why you would do that I do not know. The smaller lighter 4.0L starter is a better choice IMHO.
So, now you've got your engine and trans.
You will now need an oilpan, unless you have a drag only car, you need the pan. The six quart Jeep pan will not survive in the car. It hangs too low and will get destroyed quickly. Don't believe me? Ask Frank Swygert :o . Then if you still doubt us. Go ahead and use the Jeep pan :lol: You will regret it! trust me changing that pan in the car sucks, been there, got the t-shirt, it has oil an dblood smears on it :oops: So, you get a AMC 2wd car pan and pickup, put them on, use the new one piece gasket! It is a sweet piece well worth the money!
To bolt the engine trans in you need a 232 or 199 crossmember and engine plates/mounts. You will find that on the left/Drivers side there is one larger hole in the 4.0L block 12mm IIRC. Drill out the plate to match, get a bolt. Now, you'd think the plates would bolt on? No, not yet, as in my case I had to take a disc grinder and round off the bosses on the block slightly and the curved areas on the back of the engine mount plates or they would not sit flush. After doing this all bolted up fine.
Drop the engine, swearing, as you'd think it would be easier to get in there then it is! Once in and on the mounts. Jack the trans up, for mine I found I could use a simple off the shelf GM trans mount between the stock Rambler crossmember and the AMC trans. Other trans types will take more work.
For a Radiator the stock 69 AMC radiator cools fine. I used the serpentine belt setup from a Wrangler. It keeps the engine shorter and allows for electric fan clearance if wanted.
The wiring I'm not getting into now. I proly can't remember good enough to do a just writeup on that.
Items that worked for me.
77 Pinto wagon driveshaft, bolted in between the AMC15 rear axle and the AMC T5 using stock ujoints! The Pinto shaft is actualy larger! Good deal, cost me $25 at a Pull your part!
High pressure steering hose. 1995 Jeep ZJ Grand Cherokee, 4.0L. Bolt in when using a later model o-ring box or by cutting the very end off the box side you can put a flare nut on it and double flare the end again and not need an adapter when using a stock box or flare box.
Original throttle cable fit into the 1991 Wrangler bracket and hooked right up to the TB.
Speedo cable, 1973 Hornet works great on Chrysler trans and AMC T5. IIRC the original cable may fit into the Ford T5 and work fine, I don't know if the Ford gear works correctly though.

I'll post this now, if I think of more later I'll add on. I know I'm forgetting stuff.
Mark
1965 Ambassador Convertible, rustbucket, Resident Evil, can't get it done, can't kill it...
Muad'Dib
Site Admin / Owner
Site Admin / Owner
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1990

Post by Muad'Dib »

Wrambler, if you click on the links within your photobucket, youll notice on the lower right there is a section that has all kinds of links. You want to copy / paste the last link named "IMG CODE - Forums and Bulletin boards".

Here is an example of one i was looking at:

Code: Select all

[IMG]http://i94.photobucket.com/albums/l103/Wrambler_242/1969%20wRambler/American4.jpg[/IMG]
If you copy and paste that link into a post it will show the image..

However if you try that particular link here you will notice that you get an error about an image sizes (800 pixels Wide 800 Pixels High) since i have put restraints on image sizes on this board for people with dial-up (yes there are some) and for people who use smaller resolutions.

If thats the case, then you can either resize the images (which is another lesson entirely), post the links without the "IMG" tags, or just provide a link to the whole album for people to view.

Hope that helps!

To help you and others out, here is the link to your sub album: (The Wrambler)

http://s94.photobucket.com/albums/l103/ ... 0wRambler/
If it feels right, then STROKE it!
You're lucky that hundred shot of CAPS LOCK didn't blow the welds on the forum!!
aaronkeiser
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by aaronkeiser »

I know this topic is about your 69 rambler BUT my dad just told me that he bought a 69 Rambler today. We're going to go check it out tomorrow. I will give you my thoughts about it, and possibly pictures for ya. It won't be getting a stroker but if it does get a new motor its going to be a big block 460 ford. If you haven't guessed it, this is going to be a race car/street car. That's the beauty of a presmog car in California. You can basically do whatever you want.
aaronkeiser
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by aaronkeiser »

Well we finally got the car home. It's the 69 American/Rambler. I'm confused what your suppose to call it. It looks just like Wrambers. It's a two door, blue body with white top. It's got the 232 I believe. It needs a head gasket or valve adjustment or both. I must say this car does have a nicely sized engine compartment (V8's). This cars in good shape for how old it is. It came with 7 boxes of extra parts from different color gauges, seat beats, emblems, trim peices. Tons of stuff.
Jeep-Power
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.3
Vehicle Year: 1984
Vehicle Make: AMC/Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ-7

Post by Jeep-Power »

Com'on Mark-- where are the pics?? I've been hearing about the Wrambler for too long withot seeing it! :)
marlinman

Post by marlinman »

I am looking to do a 4 ltr swap into willy's 2 wheel drive but with a automatic trans , can any one let me know which trans will work on the 4 ltr flex plate or will I have to change the plate to match th trans . Also will the 4ltr starter wok on this
Wrambler wrote:Thought I'd grab the first post!

Anu questions,
Just ask,
Mark
Morgantown, WV
Wrambler

Post by Wrambler »

I have not been here in forever, old pics, but all I have online right now.

Mark
dwg86
Donator
Donator
Vehicle Year: 2003

Post by dwg86 »

I love those cars. I have a spare 401 in the basement begging to be stoked and put in one of those....Too many cars to build and too little money. :slobber:
Wrambler

Post by Wrambler »

I have a bunch of stuff laying in piles for it. I messed up my neck, back and shoulder a couple of years ago and been chasing those issues around.
I have new carpet, seatbelts, speakers for the interior.
A complete ready to assemble 4.5L shortblock, 99 up intake that is 90% polished, all the bracketry for the intake. A borla header.
Also have a world class, close ratio T5

I just need to get my pain to go somewhere else!
I have a spinal cord stil trial starting on March 11, 2009 and if it works and I get the permanent version I should be able to get some of this stuff done!!!
Mark