V-Belt Pulley Options for Saginaw PS Pump w/ 3/4" Shaft

Swaping 258 to 4.0, 4.0 parts to 258 etc!
Knobbler
Vehicle Year: 1978
Vehicle Make: AMC
Vehicle Model: Gremlin

V-Belt Pulley Options for Saginaw PS Pump w/ 3/4" Shaft

Post by Knobbler »

Hi all,

First time posting here, and though I don't have a stroker, I think y'all are probably most knowledgeable about interchange for peripherals on 4.2 and 4.0 engines.

Problem I'm running into is this: I've done a swap to put a 4.0L head on my 258, and I've kept the vbelt setup. I'm having trouble finding a proper pulley for my power steering pump (Saginaw type II from a Grand Cherokee), and was hoping someone might have some pointers they could offer.

Does anyone know of a part number or application that would give me a vbelt pulley with a (roughly) 6" OD, a bore that will accommodate a 0.750" shaft, and an appropriate offset? Thanks!
Knobbler

Re: V-Belt Pulley Options for Saginaw PS Pump w/ 3/4" Shaft

Post by Knobbler »

Dang it. Just realized I could've made the thread title a little more clear. I'm asking about a pulley for a type II pump, and not the "canned ham"-style Saginaw pump. I mentioned that it's a type II in the post, but wanted to make sure I clarified.
Knobbler

Post by Knobbler »

Just figured I'd post an update on this:

First off, my measurements were all over the place. The Grand Cherokee is equipped with a TC pump that has a shaft size of 0.663", and pulleys to fit will have a bore of 0.662" for one tough interference fit (if you're looking for a high pressure pump, the '01-04 V8 GC will provide a few hundred additional PSI, since they power a hydraulic rad fan).

There are no pulleys that will provide a v groove and correct offset and bore diameter. That said, there are a ton of Volkswagen year models from the past few decades that use a pressed hub which will provide mounting options for a ton of different v-belt pulleys of various diameters, almost all of which are about 15 bucks or less new.

Things get a little tricky at this point, though: I found that several of the type II pumps used by VW (mostly CB) have a shaft size of 0.667", or just large enough to be useless. Bring your calipers to the yard!

Last, but not at all least, Ford Rangeplorers used a design similar to vw, incorporating a pulley hub and bolt-on pulleys. I didn't have the fortune to measure bolt spacing, but they appear to match at a glance. If they don't, then I'm sure y'all are clever enough to work out any difference.

In the end, time and my refusal to ever return to the pick n pull yards in my area won out, and I had to grab an aftermarket pulley. The cheapest option I found for this is from Sweet Manufacturing, P/N 301-30020. At present, they can be found for roughly $35+shipping, which is a bit easier to swallow than what people charge for other parts that don't even have a collar to fit a puller onto.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Thanks for updating with good info!