Starter and flywheel questions

Swaping 258 to 4.0, 4.0 parts to 258 etc!
cuban11182
Learning to use the board

Starter and flywheel questions

Post by cuban11182 »

So I've been trying to think this out, and wanted to see what the guru's here thought.

I just picked up my stroker and have been thinking about what parts I need to get. I have two transmissions that I'm thinking about putting in. The first is the T177 that I've already rebuilt and the AX15 that I still need to rebuild. I've been reading that there is a difference between a 258 and 4.2 depending on the year it was made and that the newest 4.2's were made by MOPAR and had the same style starter as the 4.0s. That all being said, I'm assuming that the starter pattern for the T177 will differ from that of the AX15 since they used different starters. So is it safe to assume that if I go with the T177 I'll need to go with a 258 flywheel and starter, and if I later go to (or start with) the AX15 I'd need to get a 4.0 starter and flywheel?

Hopefully that makes sense.

Thank you
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: Starter and flywheel questions

Post by IH 392 »

The mounting is the same, it's the position of the ring gear that's different, use the correct combo of either early or late and you'll be ok.
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
cuban11182

Re: Starter and flywheel questions

Post by cuban11182 »

IH 392 wrote:The mounting is the same, it's the position of the ring gear that's different, use the correct combo of either early or late and you'll be ok.
Thank you!