Grand Wagoneer Stroker swap...

Swaping 258 to 4.0, 4.0 parts to 258 etc!
Catfish
Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

Grand Wagoneer Stroker swap...

Post by Catfish »

Hey, i got a Grand Wagoneer, and many other jeeps.
The wagoneer i love, its a tank, but I really hate the 360 and even more the Chrysler 727 tranny.
MPG is the real issue for me. its built with 1960's technology.
obsolete engine, obsolete tranny, no over drive, or lock up torque convertor.
So I'm thinking this winter its going to get a simple 4.5L stock stroker swap,
AW4, and a 242 case, and a gear swap 3.73's.
So those that own strokers, do you think there would be any power issues?
I'm expecting a mpg increase from 10 to 11, to 15 to 18mpg after all its a tank.
4400lbs but grand cherokees are 4200lbs in 99 so not much difference.
Going to swap in Renix fuel injection, i like that its knock sensor and think
its important for a heavy vehicle.
So lets here your opinions.
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: Grand Wagoneer Stroker swap...

Post by IH 392 »

Your Wagoneer is about as aerodynamic as a brick!, I'd be surprised if you get anywhere near the mileage you're thinking of?, and RENIX injection is a poor way to go too!, I'd go OBDII if I were making a swap like that.

Your 360 is old and tired, freshen it with a modern cam and some injection (FITECH) and be happy.
I've never checked the mileage on my 360?, mostly because I know it takes fuel to make all of the 520HP when the carb is at WOT! :hrhr:
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
Catfish
Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by Catfish »

IH 392 wrote:Your Wagoneer is about as aerodynamic as a brick!, I'd be surprised if you get anywhere near the mileage you're thinking of?, and RENIX injection is a poor way to go too!, I'd go OBDII if I were making a swap like that.

Your 360 is old and tired, freshen it with a modern cam and some injection (FITECH) and be happy.
I've never checked the mileage on my 360?, mostly because I know it takes fuel to make all of the 520HP when the carb is at WOT! :hrhr:
Nothing against the 360 except mpg. its not really tired, just likes fuel to much.
As to OBD2, wifes 99 is ODB2 and its the biggest pain in the butt, dual o2 sensors that constantly toss check engine light from the second one.
Then there is P0132 carnk/cam position error that no one can fix when it starts appearing, do good to find an honest definition for it.
I prefer the simplicity of the Renix.
I have all the parts to use Renix, OBD1 or OBD2, and I've thought about it.
Renix won out, but do plan on using a 99 intake, HO head, and yea i know there will be some grafting to make it all talk nice.
Yep I like the flying brick model, but most jeeps are, SJ,XJ,CJ,YJ,TJ,JK,JKU, and except the SJ they all get 15 to 18 mpg.
So not to much of a stretch to expect it from the WartHog. :)
One more thing the 360 is going to get a new home in a 68 AMC Rebel SST, with an AW4 behind it. :)
IH 392

Post by IH 392 »

I did have to replace one oxygen sensor in my TJ, but no other issues with the OBDII?

My 360 is in a '68 American, it's backed with a Warner T-10, no slush boxes for me!
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel
stroked'73
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1973
Vehicle Model: Wagoneer

Post by stroked'73 »

I know I'm a few months late to the party here, but here's my experience for anyone interested:

I have an 89 4.0 based 4.6 basic stroker - 4.0 pistons, basic valve job, etc., nothing fancy - carbureted using offenhuaser intake w/ quadrajet. It's in a '73 wagoneer with a 6" lift. Dana 20 tcase, so the I keep the hubs unlocked and a 4 speed out of a CJ. When I had 32" A/T's, I got 20 mpg driving back from Boston on the interstate. 15-18 around town was normal. I got 33" m/t's on now and the mileage has dropped some - more like 15 around town and 18 highway, but I drive it to have fun, too.
Power is plenty, and moves this 5000 lb brick around pretty well. It originally had a 3 spd in it, and I once beat a subaru outback with it. Not exactly hard scientific data there, but it's worth noting! :) It takes too long to shift these trannies that I think it's slower with a 4 spd now in that regard.

Bottom line, it works in a heavy rig like this and I wouldn't hesitate to throw one in a waggy. I think the mpg will be on par with what you're hoping for - especially going with FI and your drivetrain choice.
Yes, it's probably cheaper and easier to build up the 360, or to swap out the tranny/t-case (any jeep tranny should bolt to the 360 if you didn't already know) and gain some mpg that way, but strokers are cool and so are old wagoneers - so it's a natural fit, I'd say!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BTW, if you head over to ifsja.org there are some guys - not many, but some - with strokers in these larger rigs that you could read about their experinces, too.

Have fun! :cheers:
1973 Jeep Wagoneer - 4.6L basic stroker, Q-jet/Offy dualport, Comp 68-231, .043" HG, 9.79 scr/8.56 dcr, crappy quench