Hesco CPS Issue

Swaping 258 to 4.0, 4.0 parts to 258 etc!
Neuner
Learning to use the board
Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ7

Hesco CPS Issue

Post by Neuner »

Putting a '98 ZJ 4.0 into my '85 CJ7. Using a '98 PCM from a manual XJ with the PDC and wiring harness that came with the engine. Used an FSM and traced the wires to verify and make connections. Neutral safety switch is grounded along with the BK/TN ground wire.

Used the Hesco CPS relocation kit. Cut the connectors off of engine harness and CPS and spliced them together. Ran the three wires up and around the intake and along the wiring/fuel rail. Have tried the CPS sensor in different distances off of the harmonic balancer. Starter engages, fuel pump kicks on and I have fuel at the rail but no spark or fire.

I've searched a lot and it appears the biggest culprit is the CPS Sensor wiring or location. I'm guessing I have the wires connected wrong. I used the connector layout comparison between the engine harness and CPS to determine which wires related to which since the CPS didn't have color coding except for the center which has a white stripe. I read somewhere that this is suppose to be ground?

I would have bought the connector Hesco sells but it no longer has color coding either. They don't sell the CPS wire connection extension anymore. Anyone know how to determine which wire is for which?

If I buy the CPS Sensor from a parts store that is similar in profile but has the wiring coding, will it work with the Hesco damper?
Things you own, begin owning you.
beiwulf
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.7Turbo soonish
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: ZJ
Vehicle Model: Laredo

Re: Hesco CPS Issue

Post by beiwulf »

I have not done this relocation yet. Watching thread for tech posted. I am more then certain we have a few guys who have done this and know. Good question and appreciate the posting. I'll look into what I have avialable. What are the colors of the wires the relocation sensor has, and do you have a pic of where they go into the cps?

I do know the CKP sensor on flywheel/flexplate is located about 2 o'clock and the hesco relocation one is located 3 o'clock.

Brian
95 Silver ZJ 4x4 4.0L (soon to be stroked/boosted) currently DD
1999 Victory V92 (first year production) street bike/cruiser

95 ZJ Turbo Boosted Stroker build threadhttp://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=4342
beiwulf
Donator
Donator

Post by beiwulf »

post #9 - similar wiring issue - called hesco.

Not sure but here is another thread referencing - but no wire diagram color reference.
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/sh ... -OEM/page1

95 ZJ Turbo Boosted Stroker build threadhttp://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/viewt ... f=8&t=4342
Neuner
Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ7

Post by Neuner »

I had contacted Hesco and all they did was send me a pic essentially saying, figure it out yourself however I was able to layout my wires to resemble the photo and note that I had the outer two wired incorrectly. I set mine 0.025 from the dampener surface. Once I got it re-wired, it fired right up.

The pic they sent is a PDF and I'm not sure how to attach it. I found a similar photo online and have attached it.

I did find out that a CPS, that has the same attachment style as the one they include, that is for your year 4.0 will work. If I couldn't figure it out, I was going to drop by a local parts store and pick one up which had the correct connector and wire coding. For as much as they charge you'd think they could at least provide you with the right connection or wire codes.

Hope this helps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Things you own, begin owning you.
beiwulf
Donator
Donator

Post by beiwulf »

I will have some wiring diagrams this weekend to review for my project. 1995(zj) and the 2000(wj) wiring diagrams - I'll check and see what they have referenced for it. That is if someone else doesn't resolve this with reply first.

B

beiwulf
Donator
Donator

Post by beiwulf »