answers please

Swaping 258 to 4.0, 4.0 parts to 258 etc!
Chefbone
Vehicle Year: 1982
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: scrambler

answers please

Post by Chefbone »

I currently have a 82 scrambler with the 258 in it. It died! This engine had been fitted with the fuel injection from a 94 Cherokee. This and all mods was completed by my late father in law. I have a 97 Cherokee complete drive train. So the questions are: do I or can I use the damper and flywheel from the 4.0 or do I stick with the 258 flywheel and damper? My engine dude says 258 parts due to the balance. I am aware of the spacer issue. The cps is on the damper on the 258 already. Vss issue is figured out. Btw I am running the ax-15 from the 97. Water pump...what year of wrangler do I need for the water pump and what year for the fan? At this point I am not doing electric fan. This will be a 4.6 when done. Engine mounts...engine brackets from the 258 bolt on the 4.0 correct? Then use the motor mounts (new) from 258 as well? I have been reading and have 4 different forum ids I am done and about ready to check myself in to the crazy house. Any part numbers and other information would be great. Oh and I pl a need on keeping the v - belt and is there something that needs to be done with the timing cover? Thanks.
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1981
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ8

Re: answers please

Post by akadeutsch »

I do know that the Harmonic balancer from the 4.0 will not match the 4.2. It will fit however it will not line up. I am unsure about the rest. :cheers:
Chefbone

Post by Chefbone »

It think it may work but you have to get a spacer from hesco or machine one yourself. Thanks for replying. Anyone else?
the grey ghost
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.611
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: comanche

Post by the grey ghost »

I thought he planned on keeping the v/belt?
Chefbone

Post by Chefbone »

I am...so I must not need the spacer for the crank? This is where I am getting confused. I need to figure this out for sure before I spend money and get something I can not use. Someone out there must have kept the v-belt and figured out what parts work to do the swaps. I have found more on rods, pistons, injectors, and the like then the little stuff. I guess I can call Hesco and see what they have to say. :boom: