Complete 4.0 ARP Kit

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Sailboy42
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: YJ

Complete 4.0 ARP Kit

Post by Sailboy42 »

Would anyone be interested in me compiling an entire kit of ARP bolts and studs for the 4.0. I know the head, mains, fly, and flex, and bolts all have kits. But for the rest of it, they do not.
bleedsblue
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle Model: Grand Cher

Re: Complete 4.0 ARP Kit

Post by bleedsblue »

I assume to mean to sell correct?
This doesn't help you now, but I certainly would have been just a few months ago. But I ended up buying the main and head bolts separately. I'm still looking for some studs for the valve cover. I'm sure there would be more than a little interest in a complete bolt kit though.
Sailboy42
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Sailboy42 »

I know on eBay you can get unbranded stainless studs, but personally, I would rather have something I can trust.

Of course profit-wise I shouldn't publish the parts list with lengths, but I might as well. The info is out there to do it. I would just be selling a coviecne of having them all together.
Sailboy42
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Sailboy42 »

bleedsblue wrote: February 1st, 2021, 3:42 pm I assume to means to sell, correct?
This doesn't help you now, but I certainly would have been just a few months ago. But I ended up buying the main and head bolts separately. I'm still looking for some studs for the valve cover. I'm sure there would be more than a little interest in a complete bolt kit, though.
Are you running a stamped or cast valve cover? And do you have a spacer?

If you wouldn't mind, you can leave your email here, and ill contact you once I have a list of parts for the valve cover.
bleedsblue
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bleedsblue »

Not at all. [email protected]
I have the stock 2003 steel VC.
Sailboy42
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Sailboy42 »

blue,

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/arp-200-7615

If I am right, this should cover you. Once I get far into this product, I would like to start making custom-length studs, but buying their kits to compile something is the best bet for now. I've given the studs a margin of error. Your stock bolts have a .75-1'' UHL. So accounting for the .3'' nut and a possible thicker felpro gasket gives you space to also clamp down grounding wires or hold back your wiring harness. If you want, I can send you links for a hex head or stainless version. It's a quick google if you decide to do it yourself, though.
bleedsblue
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by bleedsblue »

Thanks for the assist!
Sailboy42
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Sailboy42 »

Just made this sheet. Trying my best to make it universal so I have left out some components. Please comment if there's a correction to be made. It's a work in progress.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Sailboy42
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Sailboy42 »

Currently working with ARP
They gave an estimate on a SS kit is$ 661.12
I'm still working with them making sure it is all correct sizes and such. From looking at their parts list I'm amazed they have some of these odd-sized fasteners.
They also said stainless steel is more durable than black oxide. Is this true?
Randy Bobandi
I made it to triple digits!
I made it to triple digits!

Post by Randy Bobandi »

Black Oxide coated fasteners will start to rust within just a few days, yet the carbon steel will have a higher tensile strength. The strongest stainless material is around 70,000 PSI, the weakest steel is 60,000 PSI and ranges up to 200,000 PSI. Stainless is a tricky material as well. Stainless threads have a tendency to gall and they are easier to cross thread. I would much rather roll with yellow zinc or even clear zinc plating. Also, ARP likes to charge insane money for fasteners. Which is fine, fasteners made in the US are worth the extra $. That's why ARP is great for head bolts/studs, main bolts/studs and rod bolts. Anything other than those specific fasteners, use BelMetric for Metric, BoltDepot for SAE, and McMaster-Carr for hard to find specialties.

https://www.belmetric.com/

https://www.boltdepot.com/Default.aspx

https://www.mcmaster.com/
Sailboy42
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Sailboy42 »

That's very interesting. The world of fasteners gets even more confusing.

Going with the stock bolts I have is probably the smarter decision price-wise. But I can't shake the feeling of having an engine with just ARP bolts.