Still NO *&%^&U*^ SPARK

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Bayside64
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: JEEP
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Still NO *&%^&U*^ SPARK

Post by Bayside64 »

Hey Guys and Girls, Another sad day on Eagle Rock!!! I finished my stroker build over a year ago now and it still isn't running. I followed a receipt to the tee. I had the machine done at a reputable machine shop and I put the engine together. When i first completed it I started it and it ran great. I broke in the cam shaft by running between 1500 - 2000rpms for 20 minutes and everything seemed great; oil pressure was good and everything seemed to check out. I didnt have the truck on the road so i didn't get to road test it; however, it started for me every morning until one day it didn't.

After testing things, I realized i had no spark whatsoever; at the plug, or at the coil. After some diagnostic testing, I found the crankshaft positioning sensor was shot. So what did i do? I ordered a cheap one on line put it in and it fired up. Every morning she started up for me for about 2 weeks until it didn't again. I checked everything pulling my hair out because i had no spark again. I check everything but the CPS I put in. I had a friend it was definitely the ECU so I put a new one of those in but no good. I checked and cleaned all the grounds i could find on the engine, the body etc. Now, a year later, due to medical reasons I found the new CPS i installed was no good. so i just ordered another cheap one on line. I was excited to install it and knew my jeep was finally going to start. NOPE, no good it didn't start. Im at my wits end. Ive got over $5,000 in this engine and cant get it out of my driveway. PLEASE if any of you have any ideas, I beg you to send them my way. I would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much, Tom.
KarmaKannon1
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep

Re: Still NO *&%^&U*^ SPARK

Post by KarmaKannon1 »

Does it have a distributor? If yes, I'd check that and the gear and such. Make sure it's spinning. There's a pin that holds the gear on and I'd doubt that would shear, but who knows.

If it doesn't have a distributor I'd check the cam position sensor and the gear and such. Make sure it's spinning and all that.

Just some things that come to mind right away.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

Good call on checking that the distributor or cam position sensor (00+) rotates when you turn the engine over.
You might want to check the resistance across the CPS with a multimeter to see if it's good, and check the wiring to the CPS to make sure it isn't frayed. If the CPS is bad, get a new OEM unit.
Another thing to consider is the possibility of a bad ignition coil.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Bayside64
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: JEEP

Post by Bayside64 »

Oh Man, Thank you very much guys, the distributor and Cam Pos. Sensor are great suggestions, I'm going to check that first thing in the morning and I'll let you know what I found out Karma, Thanks!

Holy Smokes!!! The ignition coil? I never thought to check the dam Ignition coil :doh: i INSTALL A NEW Accel hot coil so because it was new I didn't check it out. You know what else was new that I lost a year over LOL, The 1st CPS I installed, which turned out to be bad. Wow I can't beleive I fell for that again, I deserve what I get LOL! Now that you mentioned checking the resistance to the CPS wires I remember when I installed the new CPS the other day I noticed the wire harness plug for the CPS had a gapping probe hole in each of the three wires. It looks like most of the wire is in tack but i need to check that out. Also I'm not sure how bad this is but the CPS it's self seems to be stripped at the bell housing. The 2 bolts that hold the CPS to the bell housing will only snug up and I don't know what to do with that because they do go bad apparently from time to time so I can't weld it on LOL, but it is snug. Its so dam hard to get to the area to fix the threads! :o Oh My GOD if I have to pull the engine again :shock:, I just might be selling my pride and joy jeep with the 5,000.00 plus dollar engine as a flower pot!!! :frustrated: :cry: !!!Nah :nono: , Somethings going to work out :D, Thank You very much for your suggestions, I'll let you guys know how I made out tomorrow evening, thanx again! Tom
KarmaKannon1
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by KarmaKannon1 »

I believe thehe crank position sensor has to be very close to the trigger strip or whatever it is to actually pickup the signal when the engine spins. If your bolts aren't holding it tightly it might cause issues. Could you mix some jb weld and out some grease on the bolts and put the jb weld on the hole and tighten as much as you can then wait for it to set up and try to tighten a little more? I've used aluminum foil with some marginal success on stripped threads if they aren't too far gone. I just wrapped the bolt like you would a pipe thread with teflon.

Yeah I didn't think about the coil because mine doesn't have one. :doh: