A 3” throttle body..... kinda

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Biggrnjeep97
I made it to triple digits!
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

A 3” throttle body..... kinda

Post by Biggrnjeep97 »

Hello all. 10 years ago i started on a 3” throttle body for a super charger project i had built. Things change and i lost track of time and money so the project sat stagnant. Recently, I was reinvigorated to work on my jeep. I think ive all but scrapped the idea of finishing the super charger(its forsale btw), but i still wanted a 3” TB for the head i had ported. This shut down has had me working(im a machinist by trade) really long hours so ive been using my down time to machine a new prototype, as the first one failed. I have no idea if ill have these produced en mass yet but i would like to chronicle the evolution as i go so you guys can motivate me and make suggestions. As you see it, it is 2.95” ID and needs a final boring on a lathe. I will make a new throttle plate and modify the stock shaft. This will use all of the stock parts in the stock locations with the exception of the MAP.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4.7 Stroker, AW4, Dana 60, 14Bolt, AtlasII 4.3, 104"Wb, 40" Nittos on Walker Evans
Biggrnjeep97

Re: A 3” throttle body..... kinda

Post by Biggrnjeep97 »

Here are some pics of the first one i made. I completely glossed over that the stock shaft couldnt be used with this design. I got really tired of trying to adapt throttle cables and TV cables in its new location on the supercharger. Also I miscalculated some distances and left almost no room for a bearing. In all this one didnt work. Back to the drawing board.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4.7 Stroker, AW4, Dana 60, 14Bolt, AtlasII 4.3, 104"Wb, 40" Nittos on Walker Evans
Tolemar
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6

Post by Tolemar »

Nice work! keep us posted.
Biggrnjeep97

Post by Biggrnjeep97 »

Small update. Got the TB functional. I made a fixture for the stock throttle shaft and machined it to 3" width. Also made a new butterfly out of .06" 2024 alum. Needs some final fitting and some shorter screws but its ready to go. I still need to machine the intake to match. As a note, im unhappy with a few parts of my design. One of those is the width of the gasket flange. It gets very thin so i only bored this one to 2.950" to maximize the gasket surface. I have altered it in my CAD drawing so if i make more, it will be thicker all the way around at the flange.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Great work!
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Nice work.

I’ll be curious to see what your throttlebody base on your intake manifold looks like.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Russ Pottenger wrote: June 10th, 2020, 10:44 am Nice work.

I’ll be curious to see what your throttlebody base on your intake manifold looks like.
Answered my own questions by looking at all the pictures.

:Note to self:
Don’t post on threads until after the 1st cup of coffee.
Biggrnjeep97

Post by Biggrnjeep97 »

Havent gotten there yet. The TB adapter on my supercharger is 1/2” plate bored to 3”. I will probably wind up welding, facing and drilling the manifold. I did make an adapter at one point for a durango TB but dropped that because the juice wasnt worth the squeeze IMO.