High stall converters

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
6sense
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.0
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Grand cher

High stall converters

Post by 6sense »

Hello all I’m looking for people who have installed high stall converters
Tolemar
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: High stall converters

Post by Tolemar »

Ive installed a higher stall in a 91 supercharged chevy truck. Don't think I need it in my soon to be built stroker cause I don't plan on drag racing it.
Brianj5600
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2004

Post by Brianj5600 »

I'm curious how you are using your vehicle to need a high speed converter. Loose converters create a lot of heat. How high are you thinking?
Tolemar
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Tolemar »

Brianj5600 wrote: May 20th, 2020, 12:54 am I'm curious how you are using your vehicle to need a high speed converter. Loose converters create a lot of heat. How high are you thinking?
That is true but usually with high stall most people install a oversized cooler anyway. Im sure he doesn't want a 4000 stall either lol. Usually a 500 rpm over stock will suffice with improved 0-60mph times not make too much more heat. My truck was a 2500 stall and still retained the lock up feature in the torque converter.
6sense
Noob
Noob

Post by 6sense »

Thanks for the reply’s my 99 wj has 4.0:supercharged. I was thinking about 400 rpm increase
6sense
Noob
Noob

Post by 6sense »

Brianj5600 wrote: May 20th, 2020, 12:54 am I'm curious how you are using your vehicle to need a high speed converter. Loose converters create a lot of heat. How high are you thinking?
I run two 58 stack transmission coolers,I’ve never seen temps past 180.I also run a pml deep transmission pan, 9 quarts to fill.i plan on doing a lot more wheeling .I have a 4inch lift 33 inch tires tru trac front and rear with 488 gears.
Tolemar
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by Tolemar »

There use to be a place in cali called The Converter Shop (TCS). They could cut open your stock converter and modify it to slip a bit more giving you the stall you want. While they are in there they can up grade bearings and anything else. Look them up and see what thet can do for you. Post up your findings.
6sense
Noob
Noob

Post by 6sense »

This is my transmission cooler setup
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SatiricalHen
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by SatiricalHen »

6sense wrote: July 12th, 2020, 5:22 pm
I run two 58 stack transmission coolers,I’ve never seen temps past 180.I also run a pml deep transmission pan, 9 quarts to fill.i plan on doing a lot more wheeling .I have a 4inch lift 33 inch tires tru trac front and rear with 488 gears.
Make sure you protect the trans pan if you plan to wheel it, a deep pan sounds like it’ll hang down some grabbing rocks.
TJryder
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: TJ

Post by TJryder »

6sense wrote: July 30th, 2020, 2:19 pm This is my transmission cooler setup
Connecting heat exchanger in series is not a good idea. Parallel works much better, although much more work to do it. (2x T splice)

The trick is in the flow resistance:

When you have coolers in parallel, you have half the resistance, you increase oil flow, you have more mass flow on double surface

When you have coolers in series, you increase your resistance, you get less flow, your pump is working harder and maybe you have slightly better cooling in total than with single exchanger.

I have seen this mistake on industrial equipment - and results were not good. (mildly speaking) Just redo the piping and you will have much better results.
°O|||||||O°
6sense
Noob
Noob

Post by 6sense »

I guess it’s the way the picture looks but it’s not in series it is parallel,I incorporated the radiator,I’ve had this setup over a year and I have never gone past 180.I also use a PML deep transmission pan.