Poor mans 4.0

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
2jxj
Noob
Noob

Poor mans 4.0

Post by 2jxj »

Im looking to cobble up a poor mans 4.0,with an old engine ive got. its a 96 based engine, completely standard bottom end,ill be decking the head 75 thou,with a good victor reinz hg, giving compression round 10.5 to 1. I want to run a fairly reasonable size cam,around 520 lift.Does anyone have experience with the threshold of piston to valve interference with big cams and head decking or is it not an issue? What would be the best drop in valve spring to handle that lift, I dont want to machine the head if possible,to keep costs down.It will be topped with a horseshoe intake and 68mm 4.7 tb..Can anyone see any issues with this recipe, it will get the cps mod with the standard ecm initially,but will get it tuned via hp tuners down the track..TIA
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Poor mans 4.0

Post by Russ Pottenger »

A couple thoughts and suggestions on your recipe.

Running a Silvolite piston would be my first choice in a stock cast replacement piston, and I’d recommend rebuilding your connecting rods with upgraded ARP bolts.

Assuming you’re planning on running on pump gas I wouldn’t run that much static compression ratio especially on a cast piston which lessens the margin of error if you get into detonation.

You’ll never have a concern with piston to valve clearance. One of the indicators of that is we don’t have to put valve pockets in our pistons regardless of camshaft choice.

Even with the best ported cylinder head the intake manifold and throttlebody is the limiting factor to more power. Your 99 and up horseshoe style manifold and bigger throttlebody will definitely help.