Newcomer budget stroker 300+ hp???

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
GoatBoy4570
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.2
Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: AMC Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ-7

Re: Newcomer budget stroker 300+ hp???

Post by GoatBoy4570 »

cuban11182 wrote: August 11th, 2020, 2:29 pmI can't run 87, and I'm having issues trying to diagnose pinging under heavy throttle. I'm sure it's me, and not the engine. I'm running a Sniper EFI w/ Holley CD box, and distributor. Electric fans keep the engine at 185
You should start a thread on your motors issues and maybe we can improve the situation ..
GoatBoy4570
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.2
Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: AMC Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ-7

Post by GoatBoy4570 »

cuban11182 wrote: August 11th, 2020, 2:29 pm I have one of his engines in my CJ. Cam is 218/224 112 .500".....
So that's a pretty big cam in a 280 cubic inch motor, If Newcomer is running a similar cam in the video build and hittin just over 1 hp per cubic inch that could explain that .... realistically you can do that in a 305 Small block chevy with a health RV cam all day long. The jeep and chevy heads flow about same, similar bore, the chev has a little more stroke, if a little chevy can hit 300 hp why can't a similar displacement big cam AMC 6 ?
cuban11182
Learning to use the board

Post by cuban11182 »

Goatboy,

Thank you for the suggestion on the motor. I'm going to try and figure it out myself for the time being, and would hate myself if I couldn't figure it out. I did have the o2 sensor a little farther than I would like, so I put it as close as I could to the merge. I also purchased the USB cable for the sniper, but my wife doesn't drive stick, so I have to wait until my father and brother come down to visit in a few weeks.

Basically I'm getting pinging under medium to heavy load after 3500 rpms. I've tried to create a timing map that limits the amount of timing and the data logs I have show that I'm not running lean. Keith told me to put it at 15 degrees at idle and 32 at WOT from 3500 and up. I'm running much less than that and still pining. My plan is to put it at 15 degrees across the map. If it still pings, then something else is going on.

Here it is, open headers with Holley 390.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJNDGkB02-I
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

These comments are a bit off the norm but may very well be helpful.

Try running a bit of E85 and see if the pinging goes away. Since your backing timing off and the pinging isn't going away that suggests that the pinging isn't spark related. I`d be tempted to try E85 and bringing the timing back in steps. As a rule E85 doesn't like spark lead but does like compression.

Consider retarding the cam a couple of degrees to lower dynamic compression in the upper RPM ranges. This also would help.

From the little you've told us I don't think you have a spark issue.
cuban11182

Post by cuban11182 »

Thanks for the advice. I still have been unable to test with timing all over @ 15*. Once I can test that I can report back, but will probably start a new thread.

BTW my compression ratio is 180-181 across all cylinders cold.

Thank you for the advice.
cuban11182

Post by cuban11182 »

Also, Holley states that you can't run any more than 15% E85.

I'm keen on trying to adjust the cam timing, once I get it running with a serpentine belt again. I just moved my alternator up top, so waiting on it to show up.