Lightened flywheel

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
MustangSix
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1966
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ5

Lightened flywheel

Post by MustangSix »

We are currently building a 4.7 stroker for a customer car. This engine is going into a lightweight hot rod, and not the usual off-road 4wd vehicle. The heavy flywheel will likely make the engine less revvy and this little car just doesn't need all the stored inertia of the stock 28 ld flywheel.

Has anyone lightened a 4.0 or 258 flywheel,? Is there an alloy version available? If we could get that thing down to 19 or 20 lbs we'd be happy.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Lightened flywheel

Post by Cheromaniac »

MustangSix wrote: April 1st, 2020, 5:14 pmHas anyone lightened a 4.0 or 258 flywheel,? Is there an alloy version available? If we could get that thing down to 19 or 20 lbs we'd be happy.
Not that I know of in either case. Your best bet might be to have the stock flywheel lightened and balanced by a machine shop that has a CNC machine and specializes in that field.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
IH 392
I love JeepStrokers.com!!
I love JeepStrokers.com!!

Re: Lightened flywheel

Post by IH 392 »

I've lightened several AMC flywheels, cut the inertia ring off of the front and if you want some more take the back down to almost the ring gear and into the pressure plate bolts.
There may be aluminum flywheels for the six?, a V8 one can be fitted but it will NEED to be neutral balanced.
You can get more power out of ANY engine!!!
ASE Master certified engine machinist, gas and diesel