What is normal timing?

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Sean295
Noob
Noob
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: TJ

What is normal timing?

Post by Sean295 »

On my 4.6 stroker with a .035 quench and an indexed dizzy I am getting 35 degrees advance while driving down the road. If I mash the gas it drops to around 19 degrees....Is that normal? Sounds low. I don't get any pinging and running 85 octane gas. Thinking I should grind out the CPS mount holes and advance the timing a couple degrees.

What should my next upgrade be? It has a cam, larger pistons, ported intake and exhaust but stock intake, throttle body and header, 24# injectors. Should I look for a larger throttle body?

Forgot to mention it is a 97 TJ...beleive that is OBD 1
Brianj5600
I think I'll order a "tab"
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: What is normal timing?

Post by Brianj5600 »

It seems like your timing table is similar to mine. I saw the crazy conservative timing and bought Syked tuning software. It was the only software available at the time, but HPTuners is now available. IMO HPTuners is a much better choice.

This is stock and altered timing on my 2004 TJ 4.0L. Red shaded cells are cells with more advance than stock and blue cells are less advance than stock. It definitely helped putting timing in it. It will pull timing for high coolant or intake temperature. HPTuners allows control of the stock ECM.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998

Post by SkylinesSuck »

It's OBD2
Sammyguy
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Model: Tj sport

Post by Sammyguy »

Im running hptuners software and would like to try these timing numbers. What are the other numbers other than the rpms?
Brianj5600

Post by Brianj5600 »

Torr, I have no idea why.
Brianj5600

Post by Brianj5600 »

Torr, I have no idea why.
Racer117
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: YJ

Post by Racer117 »

Sean295 wrote: February 29th, 2020, 6:48 pm On my 4.6 stroker with a .035 quench and an indexed dizzy I am getting 35 degrees advance while driving down the road. If I mash the gas it drops to around 19 degrees....Is that normal? Sounds low. I don't get any pinging and running 85 octane gas. Thinking I should grind out the CPS mount holes and advance the timing a couple degrees.

What should my next upgrade be? It has a cam, larger pistons, ported intake and exhaust but stock intake, throttle body and header, 24# injectors. Should I look for a larger throttle body?

Forgot to mention it is a 97 TJ...beleive that is OBD 1
To get that quench, did you have to deck the block? If so, how much?
Sean295
Noob
Noob

Post by Sean295 »

Ill have to look but i think it was .040

It really depends on the pistons you install. This was how much I needed to remove to bring it up flush with the top of the block and my pistons are dished some. Then I installed a .035 gasket. I am told I could have gone lower...they say there is lots of room on the 4.0...the piston could go above the deck slightly if wanted.
Sean295
Noob
Noob

Post by Sean295 »

So I ground the holes on the crank position sensor and slid the sensor towards the pass. side about 1/4"...seemed to help...I also installed colder plugs...Now if i stall out the motor I can start it right away without kickback...before i would have o wait a minute before i could start it again..

I built the Adjustable map sensor...set the voltage to 5.13v...If i turn it on i get a check engine light for high map sensor voltage...no way around that is there?
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Sean295 wrote: March 8th, 2020, 6:41 pm I built the Adjustable map sensor...set the voltage to 5.13v...If i turn it on i get a check engine light for high map sensor voltage...no way around that is there?
Tuning it. I mean, tuning the ecu itself, not piggy backing sensors to trick the ecu.