Possible issue with new Crower lifters

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
dirtdudeaz
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ7

Possible issue with new Crower lifters

Post by dirtdudeaz »

Hi,
I bought some Crower lifters to replace a set of stock replacements that I neglected and let sit for too long. I ordered PN66031 (basic non oiling strip).

I’ve tried calling Crower and they are about useless since they don’t make them.

Anyway, when I took them out of the package I wanted to test the plunger action. I noticed I wasn’t really able to get any movement as if there was no plunger spring installed. The plunger piece is able to move up and down.

I went ahead and installed. I put the head on and installed the rockers and pushrods (measured with the pushrod tool). I used a drill to run some oil through the system until it is coming through the pushrods. Rotated engine a few times by hand and used the drill again. Checked the torque on all the rocker bridges.

Couple things I am noticing: the lifters seem to bleed off pressure immediately after drill stops and there’s slack. With oil I was hoping to get some plunger travel, but I’m not feeling anything.

Is there something I’m missing with these crowers? Shouldn’t I be able to move the plunger up and down by hand; and shouldn’t it be like a 1/4”?

Any suggestions? I’d really hate to have to pull my head and replace another brand new head gasket
dirtdudeaz

Re: Possible issue with new Crower lifters

Post by dirtdudeaz »

Just to close out this thread.... the pushrods were wrong.

It turns out the crower lifters are a different cup height than the stock replacement lifters I got with all the other rebuild master kit parts. They look like the same lifter, but it's not. Anyway, I re-measured with new lifters in and was off by .030-.040., and was undersized on the length anyway on the previous order because of the .050 intervals the pushrod place stocks.

Huge thanks to Smith Bros Pushrods in OR. They easily exchanged the wrong set for a new set with the correct length without a question even though it was my doing.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by SkylinesSuck »

They were all the same amount "off" right? I mean, no variation between them?
dirtdudeaz

Post by dirtdudeaz »

Yes; if you don't count the lifters being pushed up by the cam.