Cherrybomb exhaust rattle/buzzing noise.

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
optmaxx
Consistent
Consistent
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Cherrybomb exhaust rattle/buzzing noise.

Post by optmaxx »

I have this annoying buzzing noise coming from my exhaust when under load, and when it shifts gears mostly; I don't really hear it at higher rpms. So today it would make the noise in park while pumping the gas pedal, and I was able able to trace the sound to my cherrybomb exhaust, but I only had the thing for about a year and a half. Aside from replacing it, is there anything that can be done like adding an exhaust clamp to crush it a little in order to take up any clearance that may be causing the noise? The noise seems to coming from the inside, and it sounds like thin metal vibrating.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998

Re: Cherrybomb exhaust rattle/buzzing noise.

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Is it the cat or the muffler?
optmaxx
Consistent
Consistent

Post by optmaxx »

SkylinesSuck wrote: March 25th, 2019, 4:42 am Is it the cat or the muffler?
At first I thought it was the cat, so I put a hose strap on it, but the noise was still there. It does sound like it's coming from the muffler, especially from the top when it starts to act up, and I'm just guessing but maybe some welding from the inside of the muffler came loose, or the installer did a bad job. This is my first experience with cherry bomb, and I'm kind of bummed out that it didn't last so long; the cat is fairly new too. How long do these mufflers usually last?

The warranty on these exhaust is only 90 days, so I had to by another one, but this time I got the short version for $20 at Autozone.
optmaxx
Consistent
Consistent

Post by optmaxx »

I had the muffler changed to the new one and now the noise is gone. The noise was definitely coming from the old cherry bomb cause it would make a sort of muffled clunk noise when I would hit with the palm of my hand, especially when I would hit it in the middle. Not sure what happened, but I'm thinking wither it was installer error or I got a defective one. I remember the installer cut off some of the material on both ends of the regular sized cherry bomb to make it fit, and I'm guessing that he unintentionally weakened it, but I'm not sure.

I got the short cherry bomb Part Number: 87522CB now, and it sounds pretty nice.