Tuning with MS3X

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: Tuning with MS3X

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Congrats on the progress! I am by no means a knowledgeable tuner, but I did drive for my buddy who was while he tuned. Every time there was an issue with inconsistency in the tune like you describe, it came back to something mechanical like a vacuum/boost/exhaust leak, ignition issue, or something similar. Just my 2¢.
The Beast
Making Progress
Making Progress
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by The Beast »

Yeah, I figure I'll get the exhaust leak fixed first and go again on it. I think I had a void in the welding and when I ground
the collector primaries inside of it there was maybe a bit of slag exposed and either crumbled or blew out but left a hole.
It was fairly big so it must be sucking air through. I'm about to go at right now pulling it apart to get ready for tomorrow,
supposed to be nice and toasty tomorrow :D. Good to weld in warm weather haha.
My Jeep is like having a conversation with two lions, in both my ears, inside my head, from the outside.... I hear good things from them!
The Beast
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by The Beast »

Back again, just this past month I've been tooling and tweaking and just playing with settings. I have it setup with should be
a fairly solid base tune. I've got it running pretty much like stock would be so no pumping gas or playing with stuff or whatever.
Fires up on first crank, no sync errors. I've just been trying stuff and testing features really to see how they work. Haven't gone
"anywhere" per say but I have drove it 2-3 hours at a time used it for the day and doing burnouts too.

The setup is specific to mine but you could go into TS and look at settings and such and make adjustments accordingly for your
motor. The ignition is set for a CDI box running through the ICM box. Probably redundant but it works and would most likely
work without the CDI box with stock components without problem. As from a previous post you may have to run pullups
on CPS and or CKP. I don't have one on the Cam but have on the Crank, may have to play with that.

Also if someone has MS3 and wants to load this tune for a stroker make sure to check all settings especially O2 sensor setup cause it's
probably gonna be way different than yours lol. And if you are boosted take note on re-binning the tables and adjust for the amount of
boost being run. I've heard sometimes people just flash someones tune and then shit goes awry ;p.
Motor setup is a 226/234 roller cam, zero deck - 10.5:1 compression with a box-log plenum twin 58mm TB, using 12 hole 24lb injectors,
dual exit exhaust manifold 1-5/8 primaries with dual 3" running on 91. So if you got something in that neighborhood it should probably
work with minimal fuss. I imagine a few hours of tweaking to get a usable tune to drive on for a while before hitting the tuner.

For everyone else it would be wiser to copy and paste settings and double check with someone that knows how to tune ECM's.
I used the MS3X and Miata forums for references and advice and watched a lot of Andy Whittle/ Phil Toben and Matt Happel (Sloppy Mechanics)
tuning videos on YouTube and I'm still learning lol even after 5 months of hands on with this thing but it's been fun and it still is!
I'm like days worth of videos in and I'm still learning about tuning with boosted setups since I will be supercharging later this summer.
Which I'm gonna try with a Rotrex centrifugal supercharger. No kits, so that has to all be custom stuff and blah blah lol.

I guess the disclaimer is "If you blow yo shit up, it you own damn fault!" lol. Use common sense, don't head first into dark water!
We got really robust engines but they ain't invincible.

This tune file requires 1.5.2 beta 4
CurrentTune Renix 4.7 Stroker.rar
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My Jeep is like having a conversation with two lions, in both my ears, inside my head, from the outside.... I hear good things from them!
The Beast
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by The Beast »

A wee little bump here. I have picked up most of my parts already for a supercharger build and getting my stuff straightened out here.
I figure I give a bit of a heads up and will likely start a new thread with it. Probably go over lightly a few things with the current setup
and wiring before posting changes and setup with new tuning files. I'll try to make it like this one, posting everything new I find, speculating
problems and such etc. lol.

I have parts to machine and fab up, I'll take pictures and everything, you know ;p. Expect some stuff soon. :cheers:
dill30705
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Comanche

Post by dill30705 »

Any updates on going supercharged. I have a 4.6 striker with Eaton m90. Currently make 8.5lbs of boost. Runs ok but randomly likes to lean out and or spark knock at high gear high load and I want to go to MS3 but would like some base tune files to work with before having it on a dyno.

Thanks!
The Beast
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by The Beast »

Shouldn't be randomly leaning out. Check your plugs first to see if they all firing. Blowing out spark can cause it to lean randomly. Or check your coil(s) and make sure they are outputting like it should. If it feels like its breaking up then that could be the cause.
dill30705

Post by dill30705 »

It’s issues with piggyback controller 100%. It’s all part throttle issues right around when it’s transitioning to boost. It will also do it in boost sometimes but not every time. I just don’t trust running the piggyback and want to go to MS3x.
The Beast
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by The Beast »

Yeah, throw that thing in the trash and use standalone. I thought it was something else. Some people say it works good but they either don't what is really going on or their setup is so mild it might not even matter. MS3X will pretty much do whatever you want.
dill30705

Post by dill30705 »

What’s the chance I could get you tune files? Would really help me get some base settings together should I decide to tackle this.

I’m mainly concerned with base timing map. I need something to start with that I can pull timing across the board from and work my way up with low boost pulley and then eventually get in the dyno with high boost setup.

Thanks!
The Beast
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by The Beast »

Here is my current file. I was gonna start another thread for the supercharging but it'll be short though since it's just building. Nothing special really.
Eh maybe later then when I get it going again.

You can try this one if you wish. Or look at it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dill30705

Post by dill30705 »

Thanks I’ll look over your tune should really help me get comfortable to have a known working tune I can look over when creating mine. Especially spark table as that’s what I have no experience messing with. I have edited LS fuel maps before with HP tuners but never played with timing at all.