Driving my Turbo MS3 XJ!

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Cummins90
I made it to triple digits!
Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: Driving my Turbo MS3 XJ!

Post by Cummins90 »

The m90 is stock inside. There is someone on the mini boards that runs one up to 22000rpm. After a full boost run I can put my hand on the unit and leave it there. The SC is through the hood so I have a large hood vent. Intake air is pulled from a snorkel with a blow through 62mm TB. Intake manifold is foil wrapped. My intake temp sensor is located in the stock location and responds rapidly. Does it respond accurately? I assume yes. Stock cooling system with A/C.
LRSimons
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by LRSimons »

I'll do a couple pulls later and have a friend watch the intake temps. I will say that my charge pipe never gets noticeably warm. I have a large intercooler mounted in the back by the turbo but it's not doing much until I get a scoop in place to funnel air into it.

Sounds like you have the ambient heat covered. That may be as cool as the temps will get with the blow thru and pulley combo. Have a bypass valve installed?

I had an m90 at one point and wanted to put it on the jeep, but the complexity (and al fab work) of doing a draw through setup convinced me to go turbo. Apparently draw through makes less heat as the rotors have less friction beating against vacuum vs air.
Cummins90

Post by Cummins90 »

My mistake, I have a draw through. I am running a bypass valve and can bypass the SC completely if needed. The next step is fitting it all under a stock hood. If I had interest in the through the hood set up I may get 20 or so of them made. They accommodate an unaltered gen3 GM m90. I made a turbo set up as well the supercharger was more of a time filler. I will have extra manifolds that I may sell off as well.
LRSimons
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by LRSimons »

Well dang. Sounds like you have everything set up optimally. Bigger blower?

Would you share a pic of your manifold? How much for one?
Cummins90

Post by Cummins90 »

I won't go to a bigger supercharger. They take up too much space. It's a time consuming process to build the turbo manifolds. I haven't put much thought to price. Maybe in the $400 range.
0211181026.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LRSimons
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by LRSimons »

Yeah, packaging is really a nightmare on these engines.

Watched my iat gauge today, it did not change notably while in boost. When entering boost it dropped a couple then went up a couple.

Today I was messing with some electrical issues and unplugged my scavenge pump. Drove about a mile before I noticed the smoke, it kept burning off the oil for 10+ miles later. What a mess. Makes me nervous as well, if my mystery ebay pump fails the jeep is pretty much immobile.
Cummins90

Post by Cummins90 »

Hopefully the seals are still good, again it's a pretty tough unit. Keep a spare with you. I always keep my spare stock injectors and my bypass harness just incase my FIC takes a dump.

If your guage is in the stock location and reporting accurate numbers then slight increase in IATs is what we are all after.
LRSimons
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by LRSimons »

Having redundancies is certainly critical to having a reliable and streetable vehicle. Not sure what I'd do if something happened to the ms.

Hoping to get to the track soon but rain keeps getting in the way. Only a short list of things to do before making the hour long trip.
Cummins90

Post by Cummins90 »

If the MS craps out you either have a spare or a tow truck. Racing your ride home is always fun. You are on full MS? What state are you in?
LRSimons
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by LRSimons »

Yes, full fuel and spark control on the ms3. Using the stock ignition setup, was easy to set up and hasn't given me any trouble yet. LS coils (or an aftermarket coil for stock dizzy) will be the next step if I have spark blowout issues, but I don't see that happening as it's been great on stock gap so far. I'm running one (two?) step colder plugs as a cheap anti blowing up measure.

Going racing tomorrow! I'm in wisconsin, will be going to great lakes dragaway. I'm confident it will break into the 13s after I figure out how to get it down the track. Don't think I'm going to swap wastegate springs. There's probably another pound or so of boost in the adjuster, 2-4 degrees of timing, and about .5 afr that can be taken out. With it tuned hotter it should gain another 20 hp or so. May or may not be necessary to run in the 13s. Ideally it will do it on a conservative tune and launch, which will make the eventual goal of 12s look a whole lot easier.

ALSO, I welded the internal wategate. It was leaking a ton and I now get full boost right around 33-3400. It will make a difference mostly at the track when I shift 3-4, previously it would have had no power for a couple seconds or I would have had to string it out to 6k in 3rd.

I've never gone faster than highway speed before, so going 100+ in this rusty tin can might be quite the experience.
Cummins90

Post by Cummins90 »

What are the numbers on your plugs? I'm running champion rc9yc from the renix years with the gap closed from 0.035 to 0.030. Post up what you do at the track.

Do you do inspection/emissions in WI?
LRSimons
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by LRSimons »

Trip to the track was a total fail.

1. It was supposedly test and tune with some bikes/sleds/racecars as well. Turned out to be 95% of the time was dedicated to the fast stuff while everyone with street cars sat in line. Got 2 runs in 4 hours.

2. The single exhaust joint I have blew apart on the first pass. Of the dozens of times I've beaten on it, of course it has to fail the one time I'm not 15 minutes from home. No boost, no fun. 17.02 @ 82

3. Slammed it back together and got back in line. Babied it out of the hole the first time so for the second hit I aired down and hit it harder. Turned out to hook great! It grabbed hard then bogged as I could have given it a lot more. Exhaust blew apart again of course. I knew what to expect with the trans this time, got a little faster from that. 16.46 @ 82

4. The ax15 is NOT a fan of shifting fast. 1-2 is not even remotely good. I tried to slam it first pass and it simply refused to go in. Taking it nice and slow worked. I will try double clutching to see if I can get it to shift faster from that. The 2-3 shift however is great and I can slam it as fast as I like.

Now I know what a stockish na xj does at the track. :brickwall: 150 whp is slow and terrible. In the next couple weeks I'll make it back (on a WEEKDAY) and make some passes with actual boost. I suppose it'll win the most improved award.

On the way home a turbo seal blew. Had to unhook the exhaust from the turbo to keep it from getting that hot again and puking all the oil out. Burned a lot, the exhaust fumes and oil smoke made for an awful drive back. My hx35 gets the rebuild sooner than later I guess.

I'll look up the plug numbers tomorrow. They are ngk, 7 I think. It's a 95 so no emissions.
Cummins90

Post by Cummins90 »

That's too bad. I typically don't go to tracks for that very reason. Lots of resources for rebuilding holsets out there.
LRSimons
Making Progress
Making Progress

Post by LRSimons »

Rebuilt it today. Was really easy, looks much better now cleaned up with paint. Shaved the casting nubs off the compressor housing and the mounting lugs off the exhaust.