I have designed the ideal Cold Air Intake

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
BcurpKodiak
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

I have designed the ideal Cold Air Intake

Post by BcurpKodiak »

It may sound arrogant, but I just want to share. This is a departure from my idea of running a Spectre Headlight funnel intake.

I have a 68mm throttle body which converts to 2.67" (flows 750 CFM, more than the F&B 70mm). So I use that as my "bottle neck". I want to avoid going any smaller than that. So 3" intake tubing fits the bill. I want an air box so I can avoid an open air filter just sucking in hot engine compartment air. Every 10° drop in intake air is +1% HP. So if inside engine area is 100° and outside air temp is 60° that's +4% which on a 300 HP engine is 12 HP. I almost went with an air filter sticking out of the hood because it's not a DD, but decided against it. Here are pics.

Opening of the stock air box is now 3" x 4". It has a drop in K&N air filter. The same panel filter in the similar year TJ is nearly identical dimensions and flows 661 CFM. The stock replacement drop in panel filter from K&N for the 2010 Camaro SS 6.2L only flows 588 CFM!! And that car makes over 320 REAR wheel HP (picks up 8 HP going from stock paper to K&N). As you can see I use all 3" tubing. The stock tubing coming off of the air box lid is 3" and so on. What you can't see is I also swiss cheesed the whole front fascia and headlight bucket (with a hole saw) behind the headlight, and removed the flat sheet metal that sits in front of the airbox intake and behind the headlight. I tried to allow as much cool air to reach it as possible short of fabricating a hood scoop. I'll add a picture of one other little touch....

Behind those 3 holes I cut the lip off of the hood to allow good air flow. It doesn't really shoot straight at the intake or anything. It might help, but I like how it looks so there's that.

I think this intake can support more power than I'll make, which was my goal (without getting too crazy). It is cheap and easy. I also have a 1" throttle body spacer in there. If anyone is interested I can actually put up a parts list and a sort of how-to. It's not super fancy because I don't think it needs to be. A lot of research and common sense went into this. I think it errors heavily on the side of value. The other upside is it utilizes the stock mounting system and allows use of the stock valve cover vent pcv system.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Re: I have designed the ideal Cold Air Intake

Post by jsawduste »

The K&N will keep small children and rodents out. Engine destroying dust..........Not so much......
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Cheromaniac »

I like my own crude but effective, cobbled-together creation. Just needs a better looking heatshield and a single-piece radiussed 3" intake pipe to tidy it up. Doesn't require cutting any holes either.

Behind the heatshield is a 7" S&B Powerstack cone filter with a 3" flange to slide over a 3" diameter pipe.

I ran a K&N style filter for over 200k miles in my Jeep, and dust was never an issue considering my Jeep lived in two of the dustiest countries on Earth (Saudi Arabia & UAE).
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
BcurpKodiak
Making Progress
Making Progress
Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Model: XJ

Post by BcurpKodiak »

yea mine didn't require me to cut holes. I did it to improve air flow. It would help any intake