1st post! 505 performance cam

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Jeepskipper94
Stroker Displacement: 4.5
Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: xj

1st post! 505 performance cam

Post by Jeepskipper94 »

Hi everyone this is my first post on this forum. I recently purchased the stage 1.5 camshaft kit from 505 performance for my stroker build. I now know people say to steer clear of them due to poor customer service but i already have the kit so it is time to start moving forward. I havent had too much luck with contacting them but im looking for info on what i need to do to make this cam kit work. Do i need to have the head machined at all for the springs or anything? And i literally have no info as to the specs that the components should be installed or broken in. I just want to install this stuff right but there was no info provided to tell me what right is. So i would greatly appreciate any help that you guys can give me. Thank you so much
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Re: 1st post! 505 performance cam

Post by Russ Pottenger »

So I'm assuming that you don't have any camshaft or valve spring specifications including on what's on 505's webpage?
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

You have no specs. Can't get ahold of 505 and are asking us to offer advice ? Sorry my crystal ball is broken and I wouldn't use that 505 cam even if I knew the specs.

I suppose if I was extremely desperate I'd set up some v blocks, degree wheel and a dial indicator and figure out the numbers.

Best advice I can offer is to decorate your man cave with that stick and buy a real cam from Russ, Clay Smith etc.

Anyone but Zach the quack.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

The negative reviews about 505 Performance are well documented but that isn't going to help the OP when he's already spent a large chunk of money ($472) on one of their cam kits.
The good news is that I can help with the cam specs:

Advertised duration: 266/272 degrees
0.050" lift duration: 214/218 degrees
Valve lift: 0.490"/0.508"
LSA 114 degrees
ICA 114 degrees

Unfortunately I don't have the valve spring specs that you'll need for them to be installed at the correct height.
I also suggest you contact Russ. I'm sure he'll find a good solution for you.
1992 XJ 4.6 I6 - 5MT - Stroker build-up, Stroker "recipes" Sold
1995 Mustang GT - 4AT - Modded Sold
2006 Mustang GT - 5MT - Modded Midlife Crisis Car :mrgreen:
Jeepskipper94

Post by Jeepskipper94 »

Sorry guys, the specs are on the web page so I didn't post them. But yes i still dont know the spring specs. I was hoping someone had bought this kit and maybe had the specs for them. Pardon my inexperience but who is Russ and how do i contact him/them?
Jeepskipper94

Post by Jeepskipper94 »

https://www.trickflow.com/parts/tfs-16901-16

These are the springs that it came with
jsawduste

Post by jsawduste »

Those spring specs seem a bit off.
Jeepskipper94

Post by Jeepskipper94 »

Yeah... I mean thats the box they came in but here were also 3 more of those boxes used as packaging so i dont even know.
jsawduste

Post by jsawduste »

Please understand I am not trying to be a bad guy.

Just trying to point out a few things that revolve around 505. No one likes throwing money away but licking your wounds and moving on might be a consideration.
Cheromaniac
I live here
I live here
Stroker Displacement: 4563cc
Vehicle Year: 1992

Post by Cheromaniac »

jsawduste wrote:Those spring specs seem a bit off.
Agree, there's definitely something off with the maths. The installed height is 1.650" (close to stock) and coil bind height is at 1.100", so these springs should be rated to 0.550" lift but the notes say up to only 0.450" lift. Hmmm. At 30% stiffer than the stock springs, they'd be OK if not for the discrepancy about the rated lift. Seat Pressure at installed height is 101psi, and the open pressure at 0.508" lift is 281psi.
Those springs were meant for a V8 so you get 16 springs/retainers when you only need 12 so there's an additional unnecessary expense (unless 505 Performance only supply the 12).
Jeepskipper94

Post by Jeepskipper94 »

I dont think anyone is trying to be a bad guy. I just want to figure out the best way to procede without giving up on this kit altogether. And yes there were only 12 springs included. So do you guys think maybe just get another set of springs and forget about these ones? Also on 505's site (i get it, hes not a reliable source) but it said randomly on the tech page to machine the head 1/8 inch so that the valve springs seat properly. But it didnt even say which kit that information was for. So im just not sure of anything yet. I very much appreciate you guys helping so far
jsawduste

Post by jsawduste »

For a few bucks you might consider taking a couple of those springs to your local rebuilder and have them checked.

As you mentioned the springs were reboxed (several times ? ) so in reality you really don't know what you have. Having them checked would clear up a lot of what seems to be goofy information.
Jeepskipper94

Post by Jeepskipper94 »

Okay, i can do that. My big thing is i already had my head at the machine shop so i dont want to have to take it back and have it machined again so that these valve springs can be used. But i will do what it takes. Maybe i will run out there this weekend and see if they can tell me what i have
gonridnu
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: XJ 2 door

Post by gonridnu »

It is really not necessary to identify the springs by manufacturer and part number per se, you just need to know their specs.

Take your springs to your local machine shop and pay them like 20-30 bucks to check a couple of them

1. At your installed height for seat pressure
2. At intended lift for open pressure
3. At intended lift +.060" for coil bind

4. Once you know that they are useful for your application then concern yourself with whether you need to machine the head for them or not. Until that point they are just another spring in a box. Once they are useful for your application then determine what other parts you might need to make them work properly for your set up.

Step 4 is really a task for your machine shop if you don't have the tools and the expertise to do it yourself. You may need + or - locks or a retainer that moves the spring or just a little shim to get the pressure part correct.
jsawduste

Post by jsawduste »

^^^BINGO^*^