'Street' 4.7 stroker build

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
Hedworx
Vehicle Year: 1994
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

'Street' 4.7 stroker build

Post by Hedworx »

Hello from down under (Australia)

Seeing as everything is upside down and back to front here, I have decided to build a 'Street Jeep' stroker. Before you start with the 'what the....' comments, I also have a 96 xj on 33's and lifted etc. so I'm not completely betraying the heritage of the cherokee.

The car in question is a xj 94 limited (OBD1) that I picked up for next to nothing. I have been hoarding parts for a while in an effort to build this 4.7, this forum has been an invaluable source of information in aiding that so thankyou. Please also forgive me if these topics have been covered.

Parts list is as per most of these builds- Scat 9000 4.2 crank, IC944 60 thou over, comp 68-232-4, (I have got the lifters and mopar springs, retainers etc as is popular on this forum) new extractors and full exhaust, 24lb injectors etc etc. I will only run premium fuel at sea level so I'll get my compression around the even 10 mark without too much trouble.

So as a street build is there any benefit to utilising the 99+ intake manifold? I understand the updated runner design is great for torque but not so much for top end hp? would I be better to just run a 68mm TB with the port matched 94 manifold. Forced induction will be a little difficult given the OBD1 setup so I will try to keep it naturally aspirated.

Is the 68-232-4 big enough? I'm trying to go a little more 'wild' than 'mild' for this build. I also have some Yella Terra 1.7 roller rockers, will this different ratio rocker up the lift a considerable amount? Enough to negate purchasing a more aggressive cam?

Is the $500-600 price tag for forged rods worth the investment? Perhaps it is given I'm going for a higher reving engine?

Whilst I'm not looking to do a 'budget build' as such, buying an Edelbrock head wont really be affordable. The extra 2k by the time it's landed here (postage and import duties will be a killer) put a bit of a downer on that idea. Porting and polishing the 0630 head will have to do. Soooo, port the intakes and leave an 80 grit finish, polish but not port the exhaust side? Apparently porting of the exhaust decreases the velocity of the gases, will this be a problem in my higher RPM build. As I said low rev torque is not really an issue.

My plan later down the line is to put a T400 in it and delete the 4X4, lower it and build a competition stereo setup in there. There wasn't the option to buy 2WD jeeps here so I'll have to modify the limited. I'm looking at this just being my personal 'fun' car, no need to be all sensible and stuff.

Please feel free to jump in and give me ideas that might help me out, A/C delete, clutch fan delete etc.