Help! 4.7L stroker won't start

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
MasonMcK
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Help! 4.7L stroker won't start

Post by MasonMcK »

Some of you may remember I had a problem last week with my newly built stroker throwing OBD1 codes relating to a rich or lean condition. When I was putting the motor together I threw a spare set of 30lb/hr injectors I had in because I figured the computer could compensate for it. Well it couldnt and it fouled the plugs leaving me stranded at a gas station. I had put 100 miles on the motor before it fouled them that first time.

I got it home and replaced the plugs with new ones. Same exact spark plug. The plugs are the Champion 7034 double platinum spark plugs gapped at 0.035". When I went to start it I had to crank it for a long time and it was popping and kicking the whole way until it fired up after maybe 5-7 seconds. Once started it ran rough but eventually smoothed out and ran fine. I ran it up and down my road a couple times and then tried to take it over to my buddies house a couple miles away. About 3/4 of the way there it started wanting to stall out at idle and in order to keep it running I had to keep bumpstarting it while rolling. As I almost got to his house I had to keep my foot on the throttle to keep it above 1500ish rpm to keep it running and had to use my left foot to run brake and clutch. Needless to say I coasted into my friend's driveway and let it die out. I checked the plugs again and they were completely fouled and I wasn't even getting my foot into it or anything. I had only put 8 miles on the new plugs before they were fouled.

I took the spark plugs out, blasted them clean and checked the gaps again. It would not start back up. So I bit the bullet and ordered brand new 24lb/hr injectors. I just got the new injectors and a fuel pressure gauge installed last night. Didn't try starting it until today. It still will not start back up. It pops and sputters and will try to fire up some but won't even run for a second. Because of this it is still fouling the plugs when cranking because it won't fire enough to burn the fuel out of the chambers. Does anyone have a clue as to what the problem might be? I'm getting spark at each of the plugs, and all of the injectors are opening. Plug wires are brand new (replaced with the spark plugs; 0 miles), distributor is brand new and indexed correctly since it ran last week with it and nothing has changed since. The new injectors are 24lb/hr and when cranking my fuel pressure registers at 44 psi but then spikes up to 60 psi (or higher) when you stop cranking. The battery is also well enough charged to turn the engine over fast enough. I'm beyond clueless as to what the problem might be. There's no check engine lights either or at least I don't think I saw a new one. It's stuck over at my friends house right now or else I could go look.

Does anything sound off base? Any suggestions for what to look for? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks guys,
-Mason