What will this TD05 12a turbo do to my 4.6 stroker?

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^
Stroker Displacement: 4.6
Vehicle Year: 1981
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: CJ8

What will this TD05 12a turbo do to my 4.6 stroker?

Post by akadeutsch »

I'm in denver at least 5000 feet. I've heard that we need 6-8 psi just to get back to sea level.
Strokedevowheeler
Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: XJ

Re: What will this TD05 12a turbo do to my 4.6 stroker?

Post by Strokedevowheeler »

This is my first time puting my two cents in on any post here. I have played with turbos a bit on other motors not jeeps, but air flow through an engine is air flow through an engine. I belive your TD0512A is probably from a Dodge Stealth. At any rate, a TD05 has a very smal CFM air flow, and given your motor is a 4.6, there are better choices. And, there are none I can give you right now. I'll think about it for awhile and maybe respond back to this. Do some websearching and there are some good turbo air flow verses cylindar airflow charts out on the internet. Do a little research. You'll find what you need. Best of luck to you.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by SkylinesSuck »

That turbo is too small.

As mentioned above, it's about airflow. PSI had little to do with all of this. "X" psi from one turbo will be a completely different amount of air (and thus horsepower) than another turbo. PSI is just a measurement of restriction, not how much air is going into the motor.

Finding an appropriately sized turbo is only about 5% of the work and cost of turboing your jeep. There is much MUCH more to it and finding a "good deal" on a used turbo isn't rely going to help you out much in the end.
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by akadeutsch »

Do you guys know what turbo banks is using?
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by akadeutsch »

No big deal, i've been wing before and I'll be wrong again. I was thinking that we wanted a smaller turbo on our Jeeps because it would spool up quickly. Plus I didn't really care about high end horse power. And since I'm only looking for around 10 psi I figured this might work. It would probably blow off just off idle.
Plus it was only 50 bucks. Maybe I'll put it on a bike. But I appreciate your input. Thanks.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator

Post by SkylinesSuck »

What kind of power are you looking for? More cruising/highway power? Power to wheel on the trail/rocks? Even a bigger turbo will spool well loaded up in 5th on the highway at only 1800rpm.
akadeutsch
Movin on up ^
Movin on up ^

Post by akadeutsch »

Im looking for power at 1,000 RPMs. and I just found out that Banks actually uses a smaller housing with a bigger compressor wheel than I have here. I think that this TD05 housing could do what I want, perhaps even better than the TD04 housing that banks uses. If it fits under the hood that is. But not with this 12a compressor spinning inside. It wont make anything over 170 hp with this little thing. That'll need to get stepped up to the 16g range. Does this sound better TD05 16G? This should be good for 300+ hp and it should spool up really fast as well right?
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator

Post by SkylinesSuck »

That would be a better sized turbo, but if you want power at 1000 rpm I would look more at gearing. This is for a trail rig?
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Let me add to that. If you are looking for power at 1000rpm, I don't think you would want the kind of power a turbo would provide. Even if you did, it wouldn't be practical to size a turbo that would make power there and not choke the engine at higher rpms.