4.7L stroker OBD1 codes/tuning

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
jsawduste
My keyboard is getting warn out
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Re: 4.7L stroker OBD1 codes/tuning

Post by jsawduste »

Russ,
these EV1 connectors http://connectorsfast.net/shop/index.ph ... duct_id=50

To the Accel 150624`s as Mason commented. Set around 42-46 psi seems to work pretty well.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc-150624

Not 100% sure when but Accel did redesign the tip from a single shooter to a 4 holer.
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Russ Pottenger »

jsawduste wrote:Russ,
these EV1 connectors http://connectorsfast.net/shop/index.ph ... duct_id=50

To the Accel 150624`s as Mason commented. Set around 42-46 psi seems to work pretty well.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/acc-150624

Not 100% sure when but Accel did redesign the tip from a single shooter to a 4 holer.
John,
Are the Accels a significant improvement over the 24 lb mustang injectors?

Thanks
jsawduste
Stroker Displacement: 4.9

Post by jsawduste »

Russ,
I've only used the Accels on my builds so I cannot comment whether there is an improvement over the Fords.

Suspecting that when you cut everything away your actually purchasing injectors made by Bosch to whatever standards the OEM specs.
MasonMcK
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1995

Post by MasonMcK »

I figure I should update this thread and see what you guys think. Last week I decided it was probably best to get a wide band A/F gauge so I will know exactly what my engine is doing. I bought the AEM kit and got it installed 4 or 5 days ago. At idle my A/F ratio was somewhere around 11:1... warm... Yow.

So I adjusted it until I got 14.7:1 at idle. I cleared the codes off and took it for a drive until the thermostat opened back up and it went into closed loop mode again. (When the thermostat opens is when the CEL's like to show up) Before I had installed the AEM gauge and tuned it I had two O2 sensor check engine lights. I don't know what either of them meant except that there were 3 possible codes for my jeep (only one upstream O2, 0 downstream). Adjusting the fuel pressure to get the A/F ratio to 14.7:1 got rid of one of them. I'm still stuck with the other. Nothing I've tried does anything. I've tried going slightly richer, slightly leaner, resetting the PCM and I also replaced the computer O2 sensor with the NGK one.

Any suggestions on how this needs to be tuned to get rid of my last check engine light? Or is there something else I'm missing? Next week I will be doing a MAP adjuster to get my open loop ratios where they need to be but I'm getting this code in closed loop.
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by SkylinesSuck »

You adjusted your fuel pressure to tune? At what, WOT? Idle. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me unless it's a small tweak. Anyways, the ecu is still going to compensate in closed loop regardless of what you try and do with fuel pressure.. You are running 24# injectors now, right?
MasonMcK
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by MasonMcK »

Yes I'm running 24 lb injectors now. With the AEM hooked up I am tuning (maybe adjusting is a better word) my fuel pressure to get the computer in the correct ball park to compensate and give me the correct ratio needed. Currently it idles in the high 13's to low 14's range;
runs 14-15 when doing light cruising;
low 13's to mid 15's on more spirited driving;
and goes into the high 12's and low to mid 13's range on WOT

I have been making adjustments to the fuel pressure at idle with the vacuum line pulled and then testing it for results.

Thanks
MasonMcK
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?

Post by MasonMcK »

Update: I finally figured out what my problem was. Two of the four wires in the O2 sensor harness on the chassis side got pinched at some point and were cut in half preventing the PCM from receiving the signal. Going to finish fixing it tomorrow and report back on the results.
aJeeper
Noob
Noob
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by aJeeper »

I am also just about done installing my fuel pressure regulator and A/F ratio gauge on my stroker. I'm curious as to how much fuel pressure you set the regulator at compared to what it was? I know for a fact I am running too much pressure but would just like a ballpark idea, thanks.

-Alex