Valve cover baffles w/ Harland Sharps HELP

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
MasonMcK
Where's the "any" key?
Where's the "any" key?
Stroker Displacement: 4.7L
Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Valve cover baffles w/ Harland Sharps HELP

Post by MasonMcK »

I'm hoping to get my 4.7 stroker fired up for the first time tomorrow but I have a couple questions for you guys. Can't seem to find much info out there on using the Harland Sharp non-adjustable rockers with the stock aluminum valve cover, except a few murmurs that the breather pedestals may or may not fit. ???

Has anyone used the stock aluminum valve cover with these rocker arms? Was there any clearancing involved?

My next question is regarding eliminating the pedestal baffles all together. Today while I was cleaning the pedestals up I broke one of the ears off one of them. Can I just make new breather *baffles* to replace the aluminum ones? My idea so far would be to leave the internal baffle as is, and replace the aluminum pedestal with a small piece of sheet metal with a 1/2 diameter hole or so drilled in the middle. So basically same thing as the pedestals just without the towers. Does that make sense? Do you guys think this will work or am I just asking for oil consumption?

Thanks for the help,
-Mason
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000

Re: Valve cover baffles w/ Harland Sharps HELP

Post by Russ Pottenger »

In some cases the rockers will hit the square head of the bolt that fastens the breather.

I'll remove the two bolts and replace them with a countersunk fastener
Flynphill
Vehicle Year: 2001
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Post by Flynphill »

Mason,

I had Harland Sharp rockers and an aluminum cover with little to no baffling and it sucked oil bad. I tried a lot of things with no success. I finally added a Hesco valve cover spacer that I sealed with red anaerobic sealant to the head and a standard gasket between a stock valve cover. The baffling in the stock cover is no comparison to the non-existing baffles in the one I had. I'm now able to run the pvc with no sign of oil loss! Hesco has a kit that includes a spacer for your thermostat housing that has to move out to make room as well. One of the best moves I've made!
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Vehicle Year: 2000

Post by Russ Pottenger »

It's an unnecessary expense to have to run the valve cover and thermostat spacer.
It's only necessary when running the adjustable rockers.

As I previously stated countersunk flush mounted Fasteners to the OEM baffle is all that's necessary to clear the rockers