cam swap help! 89 renix 4.0L

Performance mods and Advanced Stroker discussion.
fannitti
Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: jeep
Vehicle Model: cherokee

cam swap help! 89 renix 4.0L

Post by fannitti »

first off id like to introduce my self my name is frank I live in northern jersey and I have a 89 xj with a 4.0. I currently have a ported throttle body a borla long tube header with a 2.5 cat back exhaust, Volvo 4 hole injectors and a cowl air intake. I just removed the head on the jeep due to the head gasket leaking. machine shop called back today head is done and ready to go. im thinking of pulling the motor and doing a fresh rebuild to the lower end no stroker! the funds wont allow it due to the new baby that we have in the house lol. I daily drive the jeep and wheel it so I was thinking a cam upgrade?

I contacted comp camps and the only cam they offer for the 89 4.0 is a 68-232-4. prob is they don't have springs that will work with my year head due to being the older style and earlier fuel injection. they suggested mopar performance but I cant seem to find spring with specs that will work. I called hesco and there parts guy is out of town, and I called 505 performance and he said his stage 2 cam kit will work. says his cams come from bullet cams and a 500 lift on intake and exhaust seems a lot?

looking for some suggestion if I do the comp cam with mopar springs if someone can point me in the correct direction for springs and everything that will work with it or wait to hear from hesco once there parts guy come back. also looking for it to work on a stock tune. any pointers and suggestion and the most information on this would be great guys thank you so much!
SkylinesSuck
Donator
Donator
Stroker Displacement: 4.6L
Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Wrangler

Re: cam swap help! 89 renix 4.0L

Post by SkylinesSuck »

Welcome to the site! I think I saw thread recently reference valve springs. A little searching would probably bring it right up.

Most people on here will caution you against dealing with 505 performance. They have a very bad reputation. Good luck!
fannitti

Post by fannitti »

Yea I figured that I'll look deeper but if anyone has any off hand knowledge of what I'm trying to do that be great
Russ Pottenger
Strong Poster
Strong Poster
Stroker Displacement: 4.7
Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: Jeep
Vehicle Model: Cherokee

Post by Russ Pottenger »

Hi Frank,
Welcome aboard.
I have a camshaft Comp does a special grind for me.
It's essentially the 68-232-4 cam with less lift that will allow you to retain the stock valve spring.

Feel free to shoot me a call or email.

Russ Pottenger
Bishop-Buehl Racing Engines
Cell (626) 673-2203
Email/PayPal: [email protected]
fannitti

Post by fannitti »

Sent u a email thanks